Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of replacing my core support and all of the hardware for the body mounts is toast. Does anyone know what size the bolts are? I thought I saw on here once that they were M12, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, the Ford manual shows there are two washers and a shim between the bushing and core support, can I just go to the parts store and get regular washers to replace the two washers and shim? My stuff is so rusted up I can't tell if there is anything special about those parts.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can get the bolts and hardware from LMC Truck or Bronco Graveyard.
I was hoping to get these locally so I don't have to wait another 3 days, but it looks like I will have order them from LMC since no one in town had anything that would work.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
I was hoping to get these locally so I don't have to wait another 3 days, but it looks like I will have order them from LMC since no one in town had anything that would work.
Just use whatever you can get from the hardware store. Any nuts and bolts I take off from my truck is replaced with standard hardware unless it's a captured/fixed metric nut then I'd have to use metric bolts. The core support hardware isn't fixed to anything so put standard hardware in it's place.

·
Forward Some Money
5,109 Posts
the core support hardware is bolted to the core support bracket that is part of the frame. I replaced all my originals with poly but used OEM stuff on the core support. The original hardware holds the core support bolt in place so the core support can be dropped on top of it. Driver's side is in place and pass is not.

The core support bolt was still available from Ford when I did mine. It is metric and a PITA to "copy" with hardware store stuff. It's not like the other body bolts. If you choose not to use Ford stuff, you would need to make sure you reproduce the original core height so your fenders & hood align properly.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
the core support hardware is bolted to the core support bracket that is part of the frame. I replaced all my originals with poly but used OEM stuff on the core support. The original hardware holds the core support bolt in place so the core support can be dropped on top of it. Driver's side is in place and pass is not.

The core support bolt was still available from Ford when I did mine. It is metric and a PITA to "copy" with hardware store stuff. It's not like the other body bolts. If you choose not to use Ford stuff, you would need to make sure you reproduce the original core height so your fenders & hood align properly.
A regular long bolt with large washers will work fine.

My pic shows a 2" body lift as well.

·
Forward Some Money
5,109 Posts
A regular long bolt with large washers will work fine.

My pic shows a 2" body lift as well.

....and what keeps the bolts centered in the frame brace so the core support doesnt shift laterally? especially with the 2" lift.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just use whatever you can get from the hardware store. Any nuts and bolts I take off from my truck is replaced with standard hardware unless it's a captured/fixed metric nut then I'd have to use metric bolts. The core support hardware isn't fixed to anything so put standard hardware in it's place.
That's what I wanted to do, but the one core support bushing is threaded so to get a different bolt to fit in, it would be way undersized.

That's what I found out, none of the hardware stores carry anything I could use. After taking the bushing around to different places, I found out it is an M12X1.75. Since the bushing is threaded you pretty much need the bolt to be threaded the entire length and no one has anything like that in a stronger grade bolt.

I ended up ordering the stuff through LMC, but I'll call Ford to see if they can get me anything faster, I wouldn't have thought they carry anything for our trucks any more.

·
Forward Some Money
5,109 Posts
I dunno, maybe it would be fine, but Ford designed it that way for a reason. Since the front mount is so much more different than the rest, and is essential for alignment of the front clip, I put it back their way. You can make anything work in an emergency, or if the the OEM parts are just plain gone. I just like the way the original bushings, washers and bolts worked together.

TOP......I tried to thread one of the other body bolts to work - no go. All it did was strip the bushing. I had the same issues.

if you run into a problem getting the dealership to find the part no. it's
N800442 S436 cost was $3.37 about a year ago. Not worth all the gas and hassle trying to substitute. A proper grade 8 in SAE would be that anyway.

The OEM washers up there were another story. OUCH!

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
I dunno, maybe it would be fine, but Ford designed it that way for a reason. Since the front mount is so much more different than the rest, and is essential for alignment of the front clip, I put it back their way. You can make anything work in an emergency, or if the the OEM parts are just plain gone. I just like the way the original bushings, washers and bolts worked together.
This is what I had to work with-

I wasn't too concerned about reusing the old hardware at that point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.