Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,893 Posts
I found it. Lots and lots of fab work done by a talented and dedicated bronco maniac. Might be worth going through the whole thing... but I think dealing with that rotted rear cab starts here:

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,118 Posts
Been picking at my 98 Formula Firebird for a few weeks. The security light stayed on after the last time the battery went flat from non-use. The security light is not controlled by the ecm, but is part of the anti-theft system, IE: someone tries to heist it with a dummy key. Those of you who know the GM VATS, they made 15 different resistor keys over the years for certain GM models. The key has a resistor chip in it that makes a complete circuit when the key is pushed into the ignition, The ECM checks the resistance and if it matches the program, you start the car. If no match... no starty. Soooo, mine has been starting, but reading other forums I had the horrors of being stranded with a no-start eventually. Apparently the apparatus in the ignition can wear out, thus causing a no-read situation. Long story shortened, the bypass is to make/find a resistor of the same ohms and splice it into the circuit. Or pay a GM dealer buku to change the ignition and give you a new key. NOT! A $10 box of various resistors from Ammyzon, a meter, and some trial and error = no more security light.

PS: if anyone has a use for a bunch of various resistors, let me know... plenty left over, you can have them.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Been picking at my 98 Formula Firebird for a few weeks. The security light stayed on after the last time the battery went flat from non-use. The security light is not controlled by the ecm, but is part of the anti-theft system, IE: someone tries to heist it with a dummy key. Those of you who know the GM VATS, they made 15 different resistor keys over the years for certain GM models. The key has a resistor chip in it that makes a complete circuit when the key is pushed into the ignition, The ECM checks the resistance and if it matches the program, you start the car. If no match... no starty. Soooo, mine has been starting, but reading other forums I had the horrors of being stranded with a no-start eventually. Apparently the apparatus in the ignition can wear out, thus causing a no-read situation. Long story shortened, the bypass is to make/find a resistor of the same ohms and splice it into the circuit. Or pay a GM dealer buku to change the ignition and give you a new key. NOT! A $10 box of various resistors from Ammyzon, a meter, and some trial and error = no more security light.

PS: if anyone has a use for a bunch of various resistors, let me know... plenty left over, you can have them.
Been there done that. The extra resistors made their way into the parts bin for other electronic projects. That shit comes in handy when you've finally found why your arcade monitor has quit working but it's 10 pm and you have no desire to wait.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found it. Lots and lots of fab work done by a talented and dedicated bronco maniac. Might be worth going through the whole thing... but I think dealing with that rotted rear cab starts here:

Thanks for finding that post... huge help!

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
After work yesterday I replaced two more sections of fence. And the reject pile continues to grow, too.

·
Registered
804 Posts
My wife thinks we should play a family card game tonight...

... my 18-yr old son is trying to explain poker.

It's not going well - although I'm on my 4th Belgian Triple and really don't give a rip...

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Well I think I've replaced all posts that need to be replaced. Ended up replacing 9 and keeping 8.

I'm freaking tired of digging post holes...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put together a couple of tables using old wooden spools.

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
2-1/2 weeks of twice daily feedings and 7 #'s of flour later... finally, real sourdough bread:

Like brewing a lambic beer, only harder.

Now what to do with the 1/2-gallon mason jar of discarded starter? Pancakes, waffles, crackers...

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)
My mom gave me some sourdough that she baked... Might be the best bread I ever had.

And I'm done with the fence. Did one more post at my gate.

About 106 pickets in the reject pile. I used numerous rejects as bracing, too, so the reject total is a bit higher. And I have about 114 pickets not yet sorted. So I put up about 250 pickets.. Just about half my fence. And 10 posts replaced / 8 posts kept m reused.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
This is a "project" in the sense of keeping me (in)sane. Idk if I mentioned it but I'm self employed and work trades where it's easy to stay away from people, so it's mostly been business as usual. In fact, people must have decided it was a good time for home improvements, we've had gutter jobs booked solid for several weeks. Downside is I started to feel like I was in a work/sit on my ass circle. I hate circles. A while back I decided to take up gambling. No not that kind.

This kind! 😁

My bronco has been down for a while, 2 months ago the POS cx-7 shit the bed, so my civic was with my dad u until 2-3 weeks ago. I've been dailying the TB and the Gambler here. well he brought it back to my place during a game of musical cars and the ignition was fucked, couldn't even get the key in. so it's been dead in the water. I haven't been feeling great lately and have been spending alot of my time at my parent's house. Somehow I ended up with one car there and the other with me at all times. A while back I found a spare rocket booster and strapped it on.

Of course you need eye protection to drive a rocket powered car, so Motocross goggles were mandatory. This went on for about a week before I decided I hated people again and no longer wanted to make them laugh.
On sunday I needed to drive about 45 minutes to another town to sell a blacksmith blower. Trouble was I needed the trailblazer to stay at my house overnight so it would be ready for a radiator swap in the morning, also it would have guzzled gas. I needed a way to get back to the rent's place but didn't have a vehicle. My sister said she could give me a ride, but I said screw it and rode my $20 pit bike 7 miles on the sidewalk to my parent's place. 10/10, would pull shenanigan again.

I could have borrowed My mom's CRV or My sister's civic but wheres the fun in that? Jermil01 said it wouldn't make it out of the county so to prove him wrong and amuse myself I drove the gambler car. And it was fantastic. At 70 mph it has the slightest vibration. Its running 27s up front, 29s out back, on junkyard toyota rims with wheel spacers. None of these tires have been balanced. And it would pass people like they were standing still. Pics or it didn't happen.

On monday I needed to rent some tools to get the fan clutch off the TB. Might as well pretend I'm in the Baja 500.

And if you're wondering, the answer is yes. People love this shit.

I also recently rescued a Monochrome Laser printer from the trash and have taken up sticker making.

This is how my civic sat for 2 weeks.

Honda uses security Bolts to hold the ignition to the steering that essentially have no head (the hex breaks off at the specified torque. So I had to remove the steering wheel, clockspring, and stalks to get to them.
Had to tear this sucker all the way down, pull a damaged tumbler and clean up the rest.

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
So with my fence done except for backfilling the post holes and cleanup, I thought I'd take a break from that and get to work on my brakes. But it took me two days to clean up all the shit in the garage from the fence, so i never actually got to it. and then when i tried to start it to move it into position to be worked on - dead battery. so it's currently on the charger.

However, I did get a start on cleaning up my salvaged "tool cart". I drug this out of my deceased grandparents' backyard a few months ago. Just now getting to paint...

I cut off the old wheels and bought some new casters from home Depot. They happened to be the perfect size.

Fast forward to yesterday...I disassembled it...

Where the casters connect at the feet, two of the feet had rusted out partially. To fix it, I welded an oversized nut down in there.

And I painted the bottom sides with some leftover rust reformer spray paint.

And then I let it dry overnight. i already did a second coat this morning. (this pic is from last night)

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
And I'm done. Bedliner on the top shelf. Ford blue engine paint on shelves. Aluminum silver engine paint on the legs. Gloss black engine paint underneath. Stainless bolts and nylon lock washers holding it together. Spent maybe $10 on extra paint and new bolts. I don't remember what the casters cost.

Regardless, I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I'd have liked to wire wheel more aggressively but didn't want to put a hole in the metal. But it said hopefully hold up a good while. Not sure where I'm gonna store it but it's too cool to toss now!

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,305 Posts
Picked up an old Coleman smoker for $20 from a yard sale. I'll be cleaning it up, putting on new handles and thermometer, installing a vent on top, and repainting with high-temp paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Electric? My dad had one of those but it rotted out. Which is what happens to every grill or outdoor cooking device. I've never bought a grill, I pick them up off the side of the road, pressure wash the shit out of them and patch them together. When they rot out I salvage what I can and repeat the process. I've also never bought a hose for the same reason,

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,305 Posts
Electric? My dad had one of those but it rotted out. Which is what happens to every grill or outdoor cooking device. I've never bought a grill, I pick them up off the side of the road, pressure wash the shit out of them and patch them together. When they rot out I salvage what I can and repeat the process. I've also never bought a hose for the same reason,
No it’s charcoal. This one has some rust at the bottom from sitting outside but I’ll wheel it off when I repaint it. It’s not rusted out though. Charcoal will be a little more labor intensive during the cooking, but I figure what the hell - I’ll see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
it rotted out. Which is what happens to every grill or outdoor cooking device.
i've got to disagree with you on that one. at least in my neck of the woods, if you keep them covered when you don't use them, they'll last for years and years. i just replaced one that i had for quite some time. i had replaced some parts like the heat tents and grill racks but it didn't rust out. and it was a floor model from walmart bought the day before 4th of july in 2004, maybe 2005.

No it’s charcoal. This one has some rust at the bottom from sitting outside but I’ll wheel it off when I repaint it. It’s not rusted out though. Charcoal will be a little more labor intensive during the cooking, but I figure what the hell - I’ll see how it goes.
i love a charcoal fire for grilling but never could keep the fire consistent in my brinkman cylinder smoker. then i replaced it with a propane smoker my brother salvaged from his neighbor's trash pile. that was pretty cool and easy to use. but, it is too narrow for any briskets so i finally am replacing that...got a pellet smoker that's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

regardless, i am excited to see an old coleman smoker get some love and new lease on life. what colors do you plan to use? any wild-ass color scheme or logos?

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
i've got to disagree with you on that one. at least in my neck of the woods, if you keep them covered when you don't use them, they'll last for years and years. i just replaced one that i had for quite some time. i had replaced some parts like the heat tents and grill racks but it didn't rust out. and it was a floor model from walmart bought the day before 4th of july in 2004, maybe 2005.
I guess I meant mine always rotted out. Or my dad's. They always were kept under the porch but the grease and junk just builds up and accelerates rust and rot. We also live in Florida so high humidity.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,305 Posts
i love a charcoal fire for grilling but never could keep the fire consistent in my brinkman cylinder smoker. then i replaced it with a propane smoker my brother salvaged from his neighbor's trash pile. that was pretty cool and easy to use. but, it is too narrow for any briskets so i finally am replacing that...got a pellet smoker that's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

regardless, i am excited to see an old coleman smoker get some love and new lease on life. what colors do you plan to use? any wild-ass color scheme or logos?
I haven’t decided fully on what I’m doing yet. I will definitely be replacing all the wooden handles, installing a new thermometer (since this one is trashed), installing an adjustable vent on top to help control temperature, and I was thinking of going with this paint. I’m not sure about logos or paint schemes. I could always paint it to match the Bronco, but I’m not sure the duplicolor enamel would hold up to the temps.

141 - 160 of 184 Posts