Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

221 - 240 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm hearing differing numbers about age groups Dying from this Virus.
from High School Wrestlers, 22 yo Soccer Players, 30 somethings, up to the Elderly.

@AussieF100
As this is a "World" Issue,,,, What is happening over in Australia?
it's just as barking mad over here, if not worse. Empty supermarket shelves, idiots fighting in the stores and car parks over a single dunny roll. We've got the moronic, panic-stricken hordes coming up from Melbourne, buying up ALL the groceries from our rural stores, like a locust plague. We personally, have enough for 1 month of normal eating, so we go once or twice a week and do our normal shopping. I can't help laughing at the stupidity being displayed in all this. The media, the useless govt morons and social media are causing panic. Politicians run around, talking and doing squat. The western world is completely f**ked, no plans, no idea, no common sense, just panic and over-blown hype. Somehow, I can't help the feeling that this is the calm before the storm. All the ammo in town has sold out, as of yesterday. Luckily, I reload, and have made sure I have sufficient (to start a small conflict), plus enough to reload it all again, if needed. I'm no "prepper", but I saw something like this coming some time ago, so I am reasonably prepared. Stay safe, y'all.

·
--------------
'96 XL EEC-V 347 E40D 1356 411 6" lift 35x12.50x15
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Right,
Me and Missus have been talking about "New York" & Quarantine..
I can't & wouldn't want to imagine being cooped up in a apartment right now,
50 stories, an elevator, no balcony.....

Stay Safe Folks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Today my Missus is trying to go see her MoM at the nursing home,
She probably will not get in but cannot stop trying.

It is very Difficult to call her each day and not spill the beans about the
"Corona Virus" Lock-down.
Poor thing is clueless as to what is going on in the world.
She keeps asking why we do not go see her anymore and
If we still Love her......

the staff is not telling the patience what is going on.
and Yes,,,, We understand "Why".

Hope none of you have to go through this.
Same with my Grandmother. 98 with mild dementia. It had just gotten to a point where she couldn't live at home anymore. The home nurses just weren't enough anymore but she's been in that house since 1950 so we tried everything we could to keep her there as long as we could because that's what she wanted. She moved into a very small (16 bed) nursing facility and literally a week later they went on lockdown. So far she is handling it well from what we understand but She used to call me every day and doesn't have a phone now. I'm worried she's going to think everyone abaondoned her since we can't visit and have our weekly dinners like we have for the last decade and change.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,839 Posts
Text just in from wife:

Averaging an intubation every hour. Using ventilators from OR rooms. RNs displaced all through out the hospital. Chest XR from morning drastically change in evening requiring intubation. Doctors have never seen patients go unstable this fast. No medicines to help them. Only supportive care (vents).

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,839 Posts
Appreciate the updates Scott. Tell you're little lady... much as we would say to our soldiers and vets, "Thank you for your service."
I will tell her Pepe. Thanks.

I'm not going to lie.. I'm scared for her. Worried sick.

As we're already weeks into this.....This is just beginning.
Imagine when this get's into the prison systems. What's going to happen to the prisoners? Are they going to let them out, or keep them incarcerated?

All the businesses that lose key players vital to keeping the businesses running. How are they going to survive and get our economy back up and running?

God forbid, Our front line medical personnel. What's going to happen if they start losing the battle? How do we replace them?

There's SOOOOOO many scenarios that could play out here. Gas stations around here (Speedway), I'm hearing are shutting down.

Fill your gas tanks, load your guns. Stay indoors. Keep your kids inside. Shit is about to get BEYOND REAL....

The President needs to shut the country DOWN....NOW. PERIOD.
And scientists need to get something THAT WORKS completed SOON.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
1,825 Posts
Thought they were having good success using a malaria drug and a couple other things with controlling this virus.

·
Registered
190 Posts
CDC current estimate of seasonal flu deaths is 23,000.

Remind me again of why our economy is shut down for covid-19?

Again, I call BS.
Because the death toll if treated like the flu and left alone is estimated to be over a million in the U.S. alone. And that's the most conservative number.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
So just an FYI for y'all who think the rubber gloves is the bomb. Stop wasting them. Wearing them and not sanitizing just as you would without the gloves isn't stopping anything. Covid-19 isn't absorbed through the skin. The first time you touch a surface that carries the virus and you touch your face, your hair, your cell phone, purse or or any other surface without sanitizing you have transferred the virus. Think people think. Save the gloves for medical staff that have to change them hundreds of times a shift. If you are sanitizing correctly then you can wear one pair and it will keep your hands from drying out, but that's about it. Try to sanitize stuff before you you bring it into your house and car. Keep the places where you spend the most time as sanitary as you can. Stay out of the stores or at least limit the number of trips to limit exposure. For those that think they can't live without fresh veggies every few days you best be prepared to get sick trying to stay healthy. Until they can prove that the chloriquine actually works limiting exposure is the best defense.
Swamp

·
Registered
83 Posts
CDC current estimate of seasonal flu deaths is 23,000.

Remind me again of why our economy is shut down for covid-19?

Again, I call BS.
How long is that season? The death toll in Italy approached 800 in 1 day. At that rate the death toll would exceed seasonal rate in less than 30 days. Italy is a country of 60 million. The US is a country of 330 million. It is likely that without the BS you mentioned that at least 1/2 of the population will contract the virus, 165 million victims. 80% will be mild or even unnoticed. 132 million leaving 33 million sick. With a 15% hospitalization rate that is 5 million hospital beds needed. There are approximately 924,107 staffed beds in the country. With a fatality rate of 4%, without that BS there could be as many as 6.6 million.

On Friday there were 33,404 confirmed cases and 400 deaths for a fatality rate of 1.2%. That would give us a death toll of only 1.97 million.

Now these are the numbers that the CDC, and every medical professional and political leader I have seen discussing this are making their decisions on. Someone may disagree with those numbers, but I do not think any rational person would argue with decisions based on them.

I do not believe that we can rationally compare the first week or so of an epidemic to a yearly event.

·
--------------
'96 XL EEC-V 347 E40D 1356 411 6" lift 35x12.50x15
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Same with my Grandmother. 98 with mild dementia. It had just gotten to a point where she couldn't live at home anymore. The home nurses just weren't enough anymore but she's been in that house since 1950 so we tried everything we could to keep her there as long as we could because that's what she wanted. She moved into a very small (16 bed) nursing facility and literally a week later they went on lockdown. So far she is handling it well from what we understand but She used to call me every day and doesn't have a phone now. I'm worried she's going to think everyone abaondoned her since we can't visit and have our weekly dinners like we have for the last decade and change.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear this "Brudda",
You might try calling the Home to see if you could drop off
a Cell Phone for communication with Her.

Just mention to them that it could help with keeping Her
a little more Calm during this Ordeal.

And when you are on the phone with them,
you might ask if a small "Care Package" for Her
could be dropped by too.
FYI, We wiped all the things in our care pkg &
put a sandwich baggie with 6 extra wipes on the top
for them if needed / wanted,,, They really appreciated that..

That approach helped a Lot when i talked with
Our Nursing Home folks...
They really appreciated it too as they are walking
a fine line with keeping their patients Calm vs
causing Havoc with too much or not enough Information.

Hope this Help Man.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,394 Posts
Sadly, this virus will be the longest lasting thing China has ever made .

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
1,825 Posts
How long is that season? The death toll in Italy approached 800 in 1 day. At that rate the death toll would exceed seasonal rate in less than 30 days. Italy is a country of 60 million. The US is a country of 330 million.... I do not believe that we can rationally compare the first week or so of an epidemic to a yearly event.
A flu season is anywhere from 13-20 weeks... Every year... The cdc estimates upwards of 56 THOUSAND die from the flu or flu like symptoms in the US... Every year. The 2017-18 flu season saw 61 thousand deaths attributed to the virus. For the 2019 season the CDC estimates that up to 31 million Americans have caught the flu this season, with 210,000 to 370,000 flu sufferers hospitalized because of the virus... And that's with about a 169 million flu vaccines being given this season.
Worldwide this flu season expects to see 290 000-650 000 influenza-associated deaths from respiratory causes alone with 67% of those being 65 and older (statistics from WHO).
The flu has over a 6.4% death rate this year whereas Corona is barely 1.3%...
And The reason why you're seeing the number of deaths and infections in Italy are because... They have the second oldest population in the world with over 26% of the population over 65 (compared to the US where about 16% is over 65) with a younger generation that is very socially active with the older population. The average age of people who died in Italy from Corona was 79 with the vast majority having underlying conditions...
Almost three million cases of flu have been reported in Italy since the start of the winter season, and the number of confirmed cases is rising with a half million being struck down in a single week alone the third week of January 2020...
So... The flu... Devastates EVERY year despite heavy vaccine distribution in the millions... And that 1.whatever million guesstimated death rate from Corona in the US would mean almost everyone in the country has to contract the virus and we know that isn't happening... And you're right, we can't compare the first week of an epidemic to a yearly event... Cause that yearly event kicks it's ass in every way.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Sadly, this virus will be the longest lasting thing China has ever made .
Seriously? Do some real research. The virus did NOT START IN China, it was first DETECTED EN MASS in Wuhan, just after the Military Games there. It's already been proven it didn't come from "eating bats". Listening to BS info isn't the smartest thing to do. My wife is Chinese. She was a ranking Police Officer there when we met. Her information comes from excellent sources. I have LOTS of good friends there, and I keep in daily touch with a reporter friend who keeps me up-to-date with REAL info, not propaganda. The govt and media China-phobia won't help make this situation any easier. We here downunder are all in the same boat. Like Swamp said, sanitize EVERYTHING you touch or handle, and avoid contact unless absolutely necessary. Blaming China for this is like standing in a garage and calling yourself a car. The Chinese govt, military AND their people got together and whipped this thing's arse, in 50 DAYS! They built TWO 5,000 bed hospitals in 10 DAYS. After SARS, The Chinese govt put a plan in motion to handle future epidemics on a large scale. We could take some hints from how they handled this, rather than being critical about them. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Appreciate the updates Scott. Tell you're little lady... much as we would say to our soldiers and vets, "Thank you for your service."
Ditto. The Wifey is an aged-care nurse. Her work is in lock-down, as the average age there is 94. She has to go through de-contam every shift, coming and going. My step-daughter is a 3rd year Medical Student. Recently, she and several other 3rd years had volunteered to RUN a hospital dept. because the resident had contact with a relative recently returned from O/S. Him and the other 5 on duty were quarantined. They did really well, no panic, very professional and got some serious kudos from Admin for their work. Many of my work mates have nurses for wives, so we all worry about them. In contrast, the local hospital won't even test you unless you are visibly DYING from a respiratory infection. Go figure.

·
Bronco Snob
1,985 Posts
Because the death toll if treated like the flu and left alone is estimated to be over a million in the U.S. alone. And that's the most conservative number.
Fortunately, there will be nowhere near that amount of deaths. Unfortunately, American businesses and citizens are going to come out of this MILLIONS in debt to a Government that itself is mired in debt.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Fortunately, there will be nowhere near that amount of deaths. Unfortunately, American businesses and citizens are going to come out of this MILLIONS in debt to a Government that itself is mired in debt.
I sincerely hope you are correct about the first part. With it being contagious for 2 weeks before symptoms start to show, it's very dangerous. If it was possible, I'd be staying home to protect my wife and kids.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
So Aussie, is WuHan not in China? Seriously isn't it the capital of Hubei province? I looked that up right after this stuff started coming out. Also pretty much every report says it's a virus that was transmitted from bats to another mammal where it then mutated and was transferred to Humans. I'm not pointing fingers. I'm just trying to get real facts that seem particularly hard to come by these days. I just heard from a relative that a hospital in a larger city South of here said they don't have any test kits. All 2nd hand info, but the relative is believable and she had a 103 fever with heavy chest congestion so she called to see if she should get tested and that was what she was told. There are confirmed cases within 30 or so miles of where they live so the concern was not unfounded. Our local government is going to a relative skeleton crew except at the jail and even there they will be working with the minimum required personnel. So far since I am the only maintenance tech at the facility I'll be here, but hopefully I will continue to get to go home at night.
Swamp

221 - 240 of 301 Posts