Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm starting to replace the totalled Jeep with a Bronco. First order of business is the rear axle. I got a great deal on a Corp 14b, and it's just about built and painted up and ready to be swung under the Bronco. I'm not going for gobs of lift as I'll be cutting the rear up to body line and dovetailing what's left... But I will be getting rid of the stock shackle set up and putting on a shackle flip kit, and either keep the stock leafs or moving to 63" leafs. My problem is that I don't have the 14 bolt handy for measurements, but from what I remember the spring perch placement is a bit wider than the Bronco - is it enough to worry about? I'll be getting rid of the stock hangers off the frame, so if I need to outboard some new ones, it's not a big deal, just looking for someone who's done the swap to chime in. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
So I'm starting to replace the totalled Jeep with a Bronco. First order of business is the rear axle. I got a great deal on a Corp 14b, and it's just about built and painted up and ready to be swung under the Bronco. I'm not going for gobs of lift as I'll be cutting the rear up to body line and dovetailing what's left... But I will be getting rid of the stock shackle set up and putting on a shackle flip kit, and either keep the stock leafs or moving to 63" leafs. My problem is that I don't have the 14 bolt handy for measurements, but from what I remember the spring perch placement is a bit wider than the Bronco - is it enough to worry about? I'll be getting rid of the stock hangers off the frame, so if I need to outboard some new ones, it's not a big deal, just looking for someone who's done the swap to chime in. Thanks.
Perches are narrower than a bronco. I recommend inboarding 63s

·
Registered
157 Posts
Which 14b did you get? There are a couple of different spreads for the spring perches. You also need to remember that if you reuse your stock springs that they are 3" wide and the GM perches are 2.5" wide. You're going to have to deide what's right for you. If you're after flex than I sugest inboarding 63's.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And this is exactly what Plug is talkin about......
You need to freakin search!! This has been covered billions of times, not to mention it has nothin to do at all with swaping a solid axle what so ever.
You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I don't know who or what Plug is. I'll also ask you to try and do a search for the term "14 bolt", "14b", "corp 14"... Maybe it's the difference between my post count or new status, but here is what the search engine replies with when I search for any and/or all of the quoted parts up above:
The following errors occurred with your search:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : 14
In other words, I tried to search. I've tried a few times over several different days. If there's a right way to search for 14 bolt swap info or there's a subforum specifically for rear axle swaps, please tell me. I'm glad you were at least able to point me in the right direction... oh wait, that was two other people. As for not having anything to do with solid axle swapping - the Corporate 14 bolt is a solid axle last I checked, and it never came under any Ford last I heard, so I'm asking questions about swapping it. I think it meets every bit of the requirements to be in here, as there's nothing that I saw that limits this area to TTB swaps. The question might have been covered a billion times and for that I'm sorry if me asking again was a sore spot for you or anyone else.

As for the springs - I'm leaning toward the 63's. I'm not exactly sure which vehicle it came out of, so I won't know the width on the perches until monday after noon at the earliest. I know it's SRW and a full floater. For some reason I'm thinking they're 42ish inches on center. I was hoping to have all the parts ready when the axle was done, but it looks like I'll have keep looking first.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
1. posted in wrong forum...please pay attention to where you post, like stated this has nothing to do with a SAS.

2. Why go to all the trouble to inboard springs when its much easier to cut the spring pads off and replace them with new ones, that way you can position not only with the right width but also set the pinion angle too.

3. and moved to correct forum.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
technically, a 14 bolt IS a solid axle....and he IS swapping it into a bronco....hahaha

but seriously, the hardest part when i swapped mine was getting the e brake to work properly. cut the perches off, weld on new ones where they need to be, done.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
The 14 bolt i have the perches are 42 1/2 center to center.I also would cut and move the perches to,its easy and the new longer perches are better.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You might want to also go to some beefier shackles and hangers. The stock Bronco ones are super thin and will twist if you're doing anything serious with it. Easier while you're under there doing all this than doing it later when you have to. If you want, I can look for my papers, I have the part numbers from the ones I picked up. They're about a half inch think cast units, not stamped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts