Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bronco folks,

I'm replacing my '90 Bronco, aft axle, leaking metal fuel tank with a new plastic one. I need advice about the bottom brackets (tank supports).

The old tank I just removed had obviously been replaced before, because only the skid plate was holding it in place; the bottom tank support brackets were missing, and the top straps were loose, unattached. The Haynes manual says "if removing the plastic type tank.. .remove the bolts attaching the combination skid plate and tank support to the frame." When talking about the metal tank, however, they specifically mention removing the bottom bracket.

The skid plate I removed has raised areas on which the tank rests, but has no bottom support brackets attaching it to the top straps. With that arrangement, it would seem that the tank could bounce around.

I guess what I'm wondering is, should I order replacement bottom brackets to install along with the plastic tank? Why would the Haynes manual talk about the plastic tank as being installed without the bottom bracket? And is the skid plate for a plastic tank somehow different from one for a metal tank. What is a "combination skid plate and tank support?" What is the correct way, and parts arrangement to install a plastic fuel tank?

Surely someone else in this forum has done this before.

Very confused!!
:banghead

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
"if removing the plastic type tank.. .remove the bolts attaching the combination skid plate and tank support to the frame."
:scratchhe Whats to be confused about? The so called "skidplate" is the only thing that holds the tank up. Those top straps just keep it from poping up and hiting the body tub.

As for a plastic tank, IDK. I would guess that it installs the same way, as long as it is the same size as what was on, but IDK for sure. :shrug

KC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for all the help!

I guess my confusion was partly a result of the fact that before I removed the old tank, I noticed that I the top straps were loose. Since the tank I was replacing was not the original, I assumed that the top straps had originally been attached to the bottom brackets. I pictured the correct arrangement as being top staps connected to bottom brackets, with a skid plate bolted underneath of it all. I didn't realize that the bottom brackets would be discarded if installing a skid plate. My Bronco has the skid plate.

I was about to order both a new tank and a set of bottom brackets. So, your answer saved me about 45 bucks. Thanks! :beer

·
Like them tires spinnin'
846 Posts
Thanks for all the help!

I guess my confusion was partly a result of the fact that before I removed the old tank, I noticed that I the top straps were loose. Since the tank I was replacing was not the original, I assumed that the top straps had originally been attached to the bottom brackets. I pictured the correct arrangement as being top staps connected to bottom brackets, with a skid plate bolted underneath of it all. I didn't realize that the bottom brackets would be discarded if installing a skid plate. My Bronco has the skid plate.

I was about to order both a new tank and a set of bottom brackets. So, your answer saved me about 45 bucks. Thanks! :beer
Thats what we're here for. I hadn't seen a tank secured like that until I worked on mine. I could see how it would be confusing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Click my black Bronco in my signature & look thru the EFI Fuel Pump album. :deal
Steve83,

Checked out the information in your album. Wish I had seen it before taking off the tank, however it will help with some other stuff, too.

I crimped the nylon fuel lines at the sending unit because they weren't disconnected before I lowered the tank. So, I think maybe I should replace them, though they are crimped but not cracked. So, your custom info on detaching the lines at the filter is going to be invaluable. Wish Haynes/Chiltons was up to your level!

seedpress :beer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts