Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Re-treading you mean? Dunno about the offroad, but over in Europe re-treading is a very common procedure for 18-wheelers and other heavy vehicle that use ungodly-expensive tires, according to the companies that perform that service the "new" tires are in no way inferior to the brandy-new tires. Drove a dry tanker 18-wheeler with re-treaded tires, took it down the two-tracks plenty of times (lots of logging trailers, not enough offroad tractors to pull 'em all, also all that logging equipment needs diesel too), never had a problem with all that. Then again trail-wheeling and similar hardcore activities may be different as far as tire abuse goes...

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I dont know about where you are but in AL recaps and retreads are not legal to run on the road on passanger cars. Might check the laws in your state. Several years back (when it was legal) I ran some recaps and they were OK but they wouldnt stay ballanced.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Or are you talking about grooving tires with a hot wire like a lot of people do the super swampers and BFG Krawlers, if so you can by the tool for around 80.00 and it comes with several different size wires (I think the largest being 1/4") the bad part depending on the size of tire it takes about an hour per tire depending on how crazy you get with it. As far as paying someone to do this I could not say.

Now if you talking about re-treading forget what you just read.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i ran a set of retreads on my land rover and wasnt to pleased with them. as far as the cost it was around 50 bucks per tire. As one of the previous posts said it took a shit load to balance them and i did them myself but while it was a decent machine it wasnt the hunter one that puts weight on the tire to replicate the tire on the road. finally i had a couple blow outs(120 vegas heat) and spent some coin on the MT/R's. new they were good but they freakin howl now. Decent in the rocks here though. as far as off road the recaps were not as good as you would think. hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ran 33" Hi Tec Retreads(now TreadWright, Inc) D-mud Green Diamonds on my Cherokee and they were awesome. Unbalanced and they rode wonderful. They make quite few sizes up to 37's I believe. I drove to Badlands and back(about 3 hours) up to 80mph and they rode fine. They wore very well(except the backs because I had a lincoln locker). I'd buy them again in a minute.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah i forgot the company since it has been years since i bought them and they were hi tec retreads. they might be ok now but it was about 2002 i bought them and had the issues above. my rover(discovery 1 with mods) is a little bit heavier than a cherokee but lighter than a fsb. btw i still have one of the recaps as a spare as i kept the same size, still holds air but is cracking.

Joe

·
Registered
533 Posts
dscott21 i do believe you are talking about retreads, or recaps. putting new tread on an old tires.. looking at your avitar. nice truck by the way. i would not think you could find them that big. 33"/35" tires? safety there is none. front tires will pretty much fall apart when you turn.

·
Registered
712 Posts
safety there is none. front tires will pretty much fall apart when you turn.
Why is that? Like I said my Scania was doing just fine on the re-treads, both on and off highway, and I'd imagine turning the 20-ton trailer in a narrow two-track makes for some nasty tire loading patterns... Is it the huge sidewalls and low pressures you guys are running that makes the re-treads fail on your offroad trucks? Like, there's too much flex in the tire and the tread simply separates from the carcass?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ran mine at 25 lbs on the street and 10 on the trails. My front tires never had any problems at all. No chunking or anything. Like I said the rears wore because of my lincoln locker.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
in fla its not legal to run regroved tires anymore. i tried it a while back with militaries

1 - 12 of 12 Posts