Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Eddie Bower Bronco
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My question is simple. For those who have rebuilt Broncos, I’m wondering what an all in cost runs to restore a bronco.

From this (this one happens to be flood damaged so maybe that will be worse than something that is in decent condition but still needs everything replaced?):

To this:

Assuming the body is in decent condition, but there is a flood damaged bronco, what would the costs be and what am I missing?

wiring
Engine
Transmission
New interior
Instrument panel
Some body work
Paint job
What else?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,599 Posts
Was it flooded with fresh water or salt water? Are u doing all the work or hiring out for it?

·
Registered
95 Eddie Bower Bronco
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fresh. Inside is obviously rough. I’m also asking to find out in general what it would cost even for a nonflooded bronco with a decent body that needed everything.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Just off the top of my head (and these are just approximate from researching for my 82)...
wiring- 700-1000 just for the harness and hoping it comes with all the connectors.
Engine-new crate motor, 3k-5k, rebuilt can't say.
Transmission-rebuilt 1200-1500, new around 2k
New interior- carpet 400-600, bed liner 400ish for monstaliner, sound deadening insulation 200, seats, rebuild what you have new foam 100-200 per seat, new covers for all 600, buy from a jy a lot cheaper. Interior panels, again looking at jy and pray for the right color or paint (another 200ish depending on rattle can or sem dye), hardware like seatbelt spools, new belts, visors, there's about 500 depending where u source. Dash, better pray u can save the one that's in there or jy source, dash pad anywhere from 150 for snap on install cover or upwards of 250 for new oem replacement.
Instrument panel-I'm gonna let @BigBlue 94 comment here since he's replaced an instrument panel. Again will depend on where you source from, jy or new.
Some body work- sending out probably 60-100 an HR plus material. Getting new/jy panels 50-100ea.
Paint job- 3k-10k

One big hurdle I'm sure you're going to run into is all the hardware. Screws, bolts, bushings, etc. Other parts like leafs, springs, shocks (those could run 70ea. For Bilsteins), steering gearbox, differentials, driveshafts, axles, tie rods, ball joints, hubs, steering column, steering wheel pad (will run you anywhere from 35-75+ on eBay), Horn, ignition system (again gonna depend if u have the EECIII and want to replace stock (good luck) or switch to the hei distributor (there's 130ish), fuse boxes (which would hopefully be included in your main wire harness but don't count on it), wiper motor, neutral safety switch (which could be real fun to find depending on how many wires it is), tailgate motor and hardware (another 75-200), body mounts, motor mounts, radiator and all new hoses and vacuum lines (500ish), fuel pump, alternator, starter (another 500)... Replacing or rebuilding pretty much anything that turns, cranks or pumps...
I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing but this will give you an idea of what you're in for...

·
Registered
95 Eddie Bower Bronco
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just off the top of my head (and these are just approximate from researching for my 82)...
wiring- 700-1000 just for the harness and hoping it comes with all the connectors.
Engine-new crate motor, 3k-5k, rebuilt can't say.
Transmission-rebuilt 1200-1500, new around 2k
New interior- carpet 400-600, bed liner 400ish for monstaliner, sound deadening insulation 200, seats, rebuild what you have new foam 100-200 per seat, new covers for all 600, buy from a jy a lot cheaper. Interior panels, again looking at jy and pray for the right color or paint (another 200ish depending on rattle can or sem dye), hardware like seatbelt spools, new belts, visors, there's about 500 depending where u source. Dash, better pray u can save the one that's in there or jy source, dash pad anywhere from 150 for snap on install cover or upwards of 250 for new oem replacement.
Instrument panel-I'm gonna let @BigBlue 94 comment here since he's replaced an instrument panel. Again will depend on where you source from, jy or new.
Some body work- sending out probably 60-100 an HR plus material. Getting new/jy panels 50-100ea.
Paint job- 3k-10k

One big hurdle I'm sure you're going to run into is all the hardware. Screws, bolts, bushings, etc. Other parts like leafs, springs, shocks (those could run 70ea. For Bilsteins), steering gearbox, differentials, driveshafts, axles, tie rods, ball joints, hubs, steering column, steering wheel pad (will run you anywhere from 35-75+ on eBay), Horn, ignition system (again gonna depend if u have the EECIII and want to replace stock (good luck) or switch to the hei distributor (there's 130ish), fuse boxes (which would hopefully be included in your main wire harness but don't count on it), wiper motor, neutral safety switch (which could be real fun to find depending on how many wires it is), tailgate motor and hardware (another 75-200), body mounts, motor mounts, radiator and all new hoses and vacuum lines (500ish), fuel pump, alternator, starter (another 500)... Replacing or rebuilding pretty much anything that turns, cranks or pumps...
I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing but this will give you an idea of what you're in for...
Wow! Appreciate the time and energy you put into this. Based on this, I’m thinking I better spend some more time looking for a nonflood damaged vehicle with a good body, dash components, and the mounts and hardware of the truck.
I am hoping to salvage as much as I can from my project. So I’m closer to the $6-7k all in price point.

I do plan to rhino line the floor instead of carpet. pulled out the carpet from my old bronco and liked it without.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
do plan to rhino line the floor instead of carpet. pulled out the carpet from my old bronco and liked it without.
If you plan on doing this then you might want to look at lizard skin with the sound deadening polymers and heat resistant capability possibly underneath a rubberized floor mat insert like this 1980-1986 Ford Bronco (Full Size) Molded Vinyl Flooring - Complete Kit they also make them for the cargo area.

And you're welcome 😊 if it were me with your budget plans it would make more sense to find something running, as original as possible with a solid frame, minimal rust that isn't a rats nest that looks like it's had raccoons breeding in it for the last 10 years. Good bones makes for a good build 👍
There's plenty of threads on here about finding a good rig to build up. What to look for as far as terminal versus fixable rust, things like that... Spend some time on the search feature 👍

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,615 Posts
Could go from as low as $1000 or as high as $10,000 depends on How elaborate you go and what you can do yourself.. I’m into mine for about $1500 total right now, had it many years but I do the work myself, I’m a readneck, and I’m a cheap ass bastard! I paid $150 and drove mine onto a flatbed with 3 flat tires, no doors, windshield, hardtop and was rolled into a tree on the passenger door area. Its ugly but it’s mine!

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
@MojoJojo I wish.. I'm about $15.4k in on my rig (including purchase price)... And still needs painted and finish the interior ☹

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,578 Posts
I'm gonna argue in the opposite direction of @BroncMom. I'd call her estimate worst case. I'd certainly drain all fluids and see what you find. But if it just happened, odds are good the trans and motor could be salvaged. If it happened months ago well then maybe not. But I don't think the wiring harness would be damaged at all, altho I'd probably pull most of the connectors and check for corrosion. Then buy a rotted bronco that runs and swap over whatever it takes to get it to drive again.

·
Registered
235 Posts
depending on your skill and ability, and access to parts, and your goal, I'd estimate somewhere between 5k for a reliably running but ugly bronco (not that any bronco is actually ugly, just less pretty), to 20/25k for a beautifully restored powder coated frame professional paint, custom interior and like-new drive train (provided you can do all the mechanical work yourself)

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,726 Posts
It realy depends on your end goals. How flooded was it? Is there dirt on the inside? On the top of the engine? You could do it cheap if you have access to decent junkyards.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I'm gonna argue in the opposite direction of @BroncMom. I'd call her estimate worst case. I'd certainly drain all fluids and see what you find. But if it just happened, odds are good the trans and motor could be salvaged. If it happened months ago well then maybe not. But I don't think the wiring harness would be damaged at all, altho I'd probably pull most of the connectors and check for corrosion. Then buy a rotted bronco that runs and swap over whatever it takes to get it to drive again.
Yeah...I was going worst case scenario

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Get a set of new tires and buff that shit out. It is a Bronco. Drain the fluids and refill and bet the sucka starts right up.

$500 out the door

If you want something pretty, shinny, and new put a $100 on a brand new one and walk away. The 600$ a month car note will probably even out to the 600$ a month you will be putting in a 30+ year old ride until you get her back to the shiny, pretty, and reliable state. (minimum of two years at 600$ a month … less if you invest massive sweat equity)

After two years you will either have a restored 1985 Bronco or a two year old Bronco ( with a few more years of payments).

Both will put a smile on your face every time you turn the key. The Brand new one requires no sweat equity while the 1985 will demand blood, sweat, and tears.

Enjoy

·
Registered
722 Posts
Has anybody mentioned the condition of the title? If it’s a salvage title, restoring is a mistake IMO. I’m not putting any serious money into anything other than a clean blue title.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well. I mean you're literally looking at a full restore. $4k for interior including recovering seats. $10k for engine and transmission rebuild with mild performance parts. $10k for a GOOD paint job depending where you're at. If you pay someone $3k to do paint, it probably is going to be lackluster. Add in some rust repair. Depending on how high the water went, it could have gotten into the drip rails which is a super common issue. So plan on fixing rust from this inside. Plus any exterior rust repair. Plus whatever for wheels and tires if you go aftermarket wheels. Plus your axles might need redone. Fiberglass top will need redone correctly (not a rattle can). Are you going to pull the frame from the body and have it galvanized and painted? How are the floor pans?

You showed a show truck or a full restore. My truck was one of the cleanest I've ever seen and I'm still about $10k in parts and customization at this point. Plus the $7k I stole the truck for.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Registered
863 Posts
You doing the work yourself?
If you paying someone else to do it - buy a nicer one to start with.
Looks like some rust repair too.

I've done a few flooded vehicles over the years. You could get away light (with water / dirt getting into the wiring) or end up with random problems you have to keep chasing.

Hell, a decent paint job WITHOUT a lot of body work is at least a couple of grand - unless you know someone. If the running gear got swamped, you're looking at flushing systems, replacing gaskets etc.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.0L AOD Full length headers, no cats annoying Flowmasters
101 Posts
Having restored many, many cars and trucks over the years, I would say you would do so much better, and save yourself so much time by just buying a much nicer Bronco that was not in a flood. That looks like it was submerged, and every piece of electronic anything is shot, or soon to be bad.

My advice is to run from this one & save yourself some money and just by a mint $20,000 85 Bronco. This will also save you years of frustration & countless sleep deprived nights!

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,881 Posts
I think depnds on the end goals for yourself.
Example if your doing something like a coyote swap & 6r80 swap and would likely do you own interiior as well, really the only thing left is the wiring. Being an 85, I would just get a hotrod wiring kit and run new everything the way I wanted. Or lets say you were gonna build a prerunner with custom dash and no carpet no frills interior, likely also be ok starting point.
Anything short of full on rebuild with non stock parts, I agree with most be better off finding something else.

Reactions: Jimmy Dean
1 - 20 of 24 Posts