Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. I could not get fuel pumps to run after motor died on me. I checked it the way haynes book stated and could not get em to run. I replaced relay and nothing. I pulled relay out and jumpered the leads that would send voltage to pumps and wulla they worked. I am thinking the eec is not energizing the coil in relay to kick pumps on and hell this may be the whole prob just need your thoughts before dishing out a $100 bucks . thank you

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
can you pull codes?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
let me make this a little more clear. PULL the CODES. And if you can't you have something other than a EEC issue. like wiring, fuses, relays.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
X2, If the computer is still working and the battery is good you should at least be able to perform KOEO = key on engine off and see what, if any fault codes are indicated which might help, though because the engine won't fire up obviously you can't perform KOER = key on engine running.

The new relay could be bad out of the box, it happens...

Also try here: www.broncolinks.com maybe you'll hit upon something there that's similar to your problem...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so i tapped the eec relay around and got the pumps to run. The truck cranked up and sounded great. I shut it down and it wont start again. I can hear both pumps run now. Do you think the eec relay may be bad and if so how come the pups are working. i guess i will check for spark tomorrow

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
well if you tapped the ECM relay and it worked. well guess what? the ECM relay needs to be replaced. they are only 6 bucks

·
Super Moderator
26,307 Posts
yo,

Great Advice!

Here is some other stuff too;
Operational Sequence; "...The computer turns on the fuel pump relay 1. For about 2 seconds when you first turn the key to ON and 2. when it senses rotation in the dizzy from the pickup. You should test your relays by applying 12 V across the small terminals, listen for the click and check continuity across the large terminals. This will rule out the relays themselves being a problem. Usually they ARE the problem, so hopefully you can stop there. They absolutely HATE moisture so if you are missing your cover Im sure some moisture got inside the relays themselves. The pickup in the distributor can throw a code when it is intermittent or not working. One of many reasons you should check your codes..."
Source: by kf4amu (Will H, The Beast) at FSB

Swap to Bosch Type & Color Codes in all pre-'92 EFI Bronco & F-series
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at FSB http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?p=757066#post757066

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
BTW you are going to dish out about 250 for an ECM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts