Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i been having trouble with my truck. it takes the truck a while to reach 25 mph. and if i floor it it just stalls until it catches a gear.. i hope im making sense.
so my question is, do i need to replace my transfer case?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
It would help if you put your Bronco information into your avatar area, like mine. That way folks know what kind of transmission/motor combo you have.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
stalls until it catches gear doesn't make sense... but if it is gear "hoping" or going into neutral between gears and the such, i would look closely at your manual lever position sensor. if it were your transfer case i would imagine you would hear some grinding or some other additional noise

also pull codes

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I think this is the same poster who was having transmission problems last year, and he has only owned it for about a year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think my transfer case is my issue.
My issue started with a clunking sound coming to a stop. Sounded to me like a auto-hub was trying to engage. I usually roll backwards 20-30 feet and it goes away.

It started happening more often until two days ago, while driving on the snowy highway in 4 high, my low range light started blinking out of nowhere. I pulled over shifted to neutral, and it never went into low, nut the indicator kept flashing. Took it home and parked it.

Next morning start it up, still flashing. Push buttons, shift neutral, kill it, start it, shift it, push button, hit neutral, it stop flashing! Go to back out, howling grinding sound in reverse. Hit park, it gets worse for a sec then catches park and stops grinding. Shift to drive, goes forward fine. Short to reverse, more grinding. Put it in 4 low and it backs out fine. Take it out of low and drove in 4 high to work that night.

Next night 2 wheel high clunking more than normal, braved the snowy midnight drive in 2 high, drives fine. Stopped at the store on the way home, won't reverse again. Had to hit low range again to back out.

Next morning, 6 am, snowy highway drive, disengaged completely at about 40 mph, re-engages when I let off for a sec. I let off and it re-engaged. Continued to slip and catch till I made it to the next exit.

Now it will only move when in low range. 2 wheel and 4 high grind in every position except park.

Pretty sure my t-case is toast. Having a hard time finding one to fit my nonexistant budget. 400 for a iffy one 150 for a boat anchor from a f150 that doesn't match my rear driveshaft output.

I'm looking for suggestions as to an alternative transfer case that bolts right up (maybe stronger, I do a lot of high-speed driving in deep snow), or a source for an affordable hopefully working transfer case.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The 1356 is as strong as they get w/o going to a gear on gear T case like the NP 205 or an atlas. Check Craigslist or the local JY's. You should be able to get a donor for under $150. You will have to change oututs unless it comes out of a Bronco.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 1356 is as strong as they get w/o going to a gear on gear T case like the NP 205 or an atlas. Check Craigslist or the local JY's. You should be able to get a donor for under $150. You will have to change oututs unless it comes out of a Bronco.
all figured out and taken care of. it turns out the timing was off and the cats needed replacing. wheww :thumbup

·
Registered
84 Posts
Still wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the t-case and go through it and do the pump mod. I actually think its one of the first things people should do when getting any vehicle with this transfercase. Take care of it now and you'll probably never have to worry about the t-case again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the t-case and go through it and do the pump mod. I actually think its one of the first things people should do when getting any vehicle with this transfercase. Take care of it now and you'll probably never have to worry about the t-case again.
yeah your right, im guessing there should be a write up on here right:toothless

and would rockauto carry the pump?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts