Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay all!
Hope you can help me.

I have a 1988 full size. Windsor motor, and C6 transmission.

I just used a mobile mechanic for the first time. So I don't know really anything about the guy.

I told him truck starts up first time just fine. But it will not stay running. And after it stalls out. You have to wait and then it will die again.

Also told him will need more work done after he gets it running without stalling.

Told him electric windows need work. No power to them and a bad motor on tailgate.

On the a/c vent position not changing.

Engine has a knock and reduced power (knock has been there for a long time)

I maybe put 4,000 miles on this a year.

Told him for now just need it running. And in a week or two I'll funds to fix everything.

He came over and got it running without stalling. Said he swaped the coil, fixed some vacuum leaks, and found that the wires going to the coil plug where shorting.

But here is the thing. Now the truck is making a smoke screen of Water Vapor out the exhaust. And an extream amount of exhaust gas is coming out of the radiator.

So, we know that's a cracked head or a head gasket or both...

But what has me going is it never, ever showed any engine issues other then the knocking.

No vapor in exhaust ever before, no coolent in the oil ever before, no oil in the coolant before, no exhaust gas coming out the radiator before.

He was working on the truck for about two hours.

I stayed in my house the full time (health issue).

So, anyone know if it would be posable for him to have done something? He did not drive it. I know as construction worker (from a cross the street) parked in a way that blocked it in.

I could see maybe if he was looking to make more work by messing up a truck... But I already told him it needed engine work for the knocking..

But in my Limited Knowledge I don't get how all of a sudden I have a major head leak?

So folks tell me what you know.

Are my suspicions grounded in possibilities, or am I just being a nervous Nelly.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,598 Posts
Well, it sounds like you have a couple things going on. You say you have a knock and reduced power. For me, that would be enough to stop everything and pull the engine. But you also say that now that it is running, you have coolant coming out of the exhaust and exhaust in the radiator. I would stop everything, stop throwing money at it, and pull the heads and see if you have a bad head gasket. If so, then that should take care of that.

But, it still sounds like you have other issues with possible rod knock and possibly low oil pressure. I’d say pull the engine and see what is really going on. You may need a bottom end rebuild, oil pump, and head gaskets. Then again, it could be worse. Good luck.

I doubt your mechanic did something to cause that exhaust issue though, if he just replaced a couple parts and fixed some vac lines.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Well, it sounds like you have a couple things going on. You say you have a knock and reduced power. For me, that would be enough to stop everything and pull the engine. But you also say that now that it is running, you have coolant coming out of the exhaust and exhaust in the radiator. I would stop everything, stop throwing money at it, and pull the heads and see if you have a bad head gasket. If so, then that should take care of that.

But, it still sounds like you have other issues with possible rod knock and possibly low oil pressure. I’d say pull the engine and see what is really going on. You may need a bottom end rebuild, oil pump, and head gaskets. Then again, it could be worse. Good luck.

I doubt your mechanic did something to cause that exhaust issue though, if he just replaced a couple parts and fixed some vac lines.
ditto^ the last thing id want to do is created more work for myself, sounds like you had plenty for him to be able to do So i doubt he did something to create more work for himself.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Ditto, shouldn't have even bothered with a knocking engine. Knock is an engine's swan song, the signal that it's time for a rebuild or more often a used engine. Putting any time, energy, or money into such an engine is futile.

·
Super Moderator
25,819 Posts
Yo 88,
As advised on the "Engine has a knock and reduced power (knock has been there for a long time)".

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,743 Posts
Yank, rebuild or replace, reinstall.... when there knocking there “Nock, nock, nocking on heavens door!”

Reactions: 67galax

·
Registered
55 Posts
Only if it was run and overheated badly. Most likely he repaired a weak ignition system and vacuum leaks and got a cylinder that was missing to start firing. And that cylinder wasn’t firing because it has issues.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,996 Posts
Ditto^^^

Whatever he fixed added pressure to the system and it found a weak spot.

Yank it and rebuild.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,064 Posts
Only if it was run and overheated badly. Most likely he repaired a weak ignition system and vacuum leaks and got a cylinder that was missing to start firing. And that cylinder wasn’t firing because it has issues.
This ^^^^^

It wasn't smoking before because most likely the cylinders' that was causing the stalling weren't firing.
I highly doubt the mechanic did something wrong, just that he fixed your issues that resulted in a bad cylinder that wasn't firing to fire and now producing smoke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts