Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
while looking through my new purchase, i found an old build sheet for the engine currently in the truck. i looks like a complete rebuild and from what the previous/original owner tells me, it was done at 37000 miles( not sure why). i was wondering if someone could look at the list i provided and tell what i have and why there would be a two barrel on it. and the outside of the engine looks stock, which is fine i dont need all the bling just want it to take off when i hit the gas. so i was gonna look for a 650 carb not sure.. could use some advise though. thanks in advance mike.

build sheet:
complete rebuild of 351m engine
8 new pistons .030 silvolite
1 set moly rings seated power(?) i think that what it says..
1 complete gasket set felpro
1 new rv15 cam emson (?)
16 new hiytems( very confused cant read it)
1 double roller timing chain emsom
mag and polish crank
8 rod bearings .. rebuild rods
1 set mains
crack check heads and rebuild best ones
hot tank and clean.

i would appreciate any help or thoughts especially on the card. its a two barrel and i think its hindering the engine. let me know thanks. loook forward to replies. i can send a picture of the build sheet and engine if needed, just give me your email and i will send. thanks again

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks to be a pretty standard rebuild from what I can see. As for the 37,000 miles, maybe that's just what the odometer read and it was actually 137,000? Anyway, all these old engines had 2bbl carbs on them. A 4bbl intake and carb as well as dual or larger exhaust makes a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the mileage was 37000 miles they gave me al the paperwork for it and the original registration and title as well and they confirm a low mile vehicle. right now its at 64000 milesand the truck shows it. i was just wondering about the engine and carb because she seems to have be a little sluggish on the take off. i'm planning on a tune up this weekend and if i can find a decent setup for the carb and intake i may try it. also check my fluids. so we will see. ill let you know .. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
so the original engine only lasted 37,000 miles, and the rebuild only lasted to 64,000 miles (only another 23,000 miles!??) i'm not sure i get whats going on here.. why the constant failure? that engine should go literally 10 times longer than that between rebuilds.

and yes it looks like a pretty standard rebuild to me as well.

that "16 hytems" item is probably supposed to say 16 hydraulic lifters. (or some abbreviation)

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its not that its quiting it just seems to take awhile to get up to speed. but like i said i just got it about a week ago and i havent exactly torn into it yet. so im gonna start with a basic plugs, wires and filters tune up and go from there.
im just used to hitting the gas and holding on, but your right the rebuild should have made a difference. ill let ya know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
The 351M is not your "rocket off the launch pad" type of engine, so it's sluggish from a standing start, but once it gets spooled up, you'll cruise right along. It's good for low end torque if built right. As for the carb, if it's the original 2150 2bbl, some like it, some don't. I'm happy with mine, works great both on and off road, a little picky at high altitudes (6000'-8000') if you're putzing along on a trail, but I feel it's a good carb. A good tune up with fresh plugs, cap and rotor, re-set the timing should help, check for possible vacuum leaks and/or bad carb gaskets as well, this will affect your power as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yeah, the 351m wasnt exactly a racin motor. its a good engine if rebuilt right, but those old motorcraft carbs are very problematic. before i swaped to my 460, i spent probably every third day fighting with one of my 3 motorcarft two barrels. id say if the engine looks good, slap on an aluminum intake, and a good holley or edelbrock 500-600cfm. she'll run like a wiped dog!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Are you forgetting a leak-off test?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is the gauge thats couincidently hanging under the hood. it seems to be hooked up to the engine. please understand that this is my first real 4x4. so im not claiming to know everything about it but at the same time i can work on a vehicle. but im not afraid to ask for help. so thanks for any advice that i have recieved . anyway what does this gauge tell you. this while the engine is running.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
would it be wrong/incorrect/unwise to reccomend he do the sixlitre tune up? or at least the elements (plugs,wires,cap/rotor)

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
15" of vac at idle looks pretty normal for a healthy engine with a mild or stock cam. does the vac gauge hold steady 15" or does it bounce down now and then (would indicate a burnt valve or bad cam)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I remember reading an article that said the very first piece of equip you need for a tune up is a vac gauge. Sweet

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the tune is already scheduled for this weekend. i have everything i need for it. and the gauge stays steady at 15. im also watching a carb and intake combo on ebay. so we will see what happens when it is all done. thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Might want to replace the plug wires while you're at it. You could be having a cross-fire issue if the wires are old and cracked.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
have it all, wires,plugs, rotor cap, coill, new thermostat(running a little hot) and anything els i mayt need.. its been about 22 years since ive actually had to do a tune up so this will be alot of fun. i havent forgot to much though.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Timing Light?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
um no..... no timing light....... but the tune up did wonders. it starts everytime now.. before it would start the first time and then when i would park it, it would give me issues, but it still hesitates a bit when i punch it. but she runs smoother and better and it stopped bucking so its nice.. i also picked up my tires, they will make noticable cosmetic difference. i also talked to a guy down here who does phenominal paint jobs with some sweet schemes. he said if i get it ready to paint he will do the scheme and colors i want for 400- 500 dollars. i would normally walk away from this offer but ive seen his work and it is really good. people come from other counties for his work. and i saw his eyes when he was looking at the truck ... i think he just wants to say he painted it. he couldnt believe how solid it was. ssssoooo we will see what happens. anyway thanks for all the support and info. i will keep youall posted with pics and stuff whenever possible.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
one more question.. i orderd a nstolgic air a/c kit for my bronco. will i need to upgrade the altinater for this little project or will it be fine the way it is. i will be undertaking this project this coming weekend. ssssooooo if anyone is close and needs something to do this coming weekend let me know. i could always some help. thanks by the way im in brevard county florida, the center of the sun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts