Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend at work mentioned he had this 4 wheeler that was messed up. Me liking to fix things showed some interest and he said he would take $200.

I showed up to get it and it wouldn't fit under my camper top so I offered him $400 for the 4-wheeler and the trailer that was next to it and he took it. And to top it off its a motorcycle trailer with plywood over it so I can use it for my R6.

Its a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 4x4 500 h.o. It runs perfect, starts right up, lights all work and it will drive in reverse where it is stuck bc the linkage is broken. I'm thinking the reverse chain needs to be replaced. The linkage shouldn't be anything to fix, and I have to pull the transmission to replace the chain. It also has some plastic damage where he flipped it on the road.

For $400 I think its an awesome deal.

I keep telling myself I'm going to fix it and sell it; but I've always wanted a 4 wheeler so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I would have been all over that too! That is a great deal!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Nice score! I can't stand a Popo, but for 400 bux with a trailer you could fix it and flip it.

I'm contemplating a buddies offer for his 06 Kawi Brute Force 750. He rebuilt the top end, now the bottom end is knocking. He was asking $4500 before it started knocking. Now I can get it for $1k, probably spend another 1k rebuilding it. He bought a new 700xx and could care less.

Hmmm. I just brought home another wheeler a month ago though.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I'll buy the 4 wheeler from you for $250. I'll even come pick it up. :toothless

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
holy shit, 200$ for an atv! even for a polaris that ****in awesome!

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
You definately stole that one, or your friend did before you bought it. I have always heard if its to good to be true then it probably is.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its an automatic which I've never used before on an atv. Supposedly it'll do over 60 mph. I know Ive gone 45 on a utility atv before and I was pretty nervous.

It has a switch for 4wd or 2wd and a lever on the right side for fwd-hi-lo-reverse

He is a Marine, bought it new and messed it up. He got out after his 3rd deployment and now is trying to get back in so he can go over seas again. He didn't want this to sit for another year without being touched I've been bugging him about it for a couple weeks, I started at $100 and worked my way up.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
its an automatic which I've never used before on an atv. Supposedly it'll do over 60 mph. I know Ive gone 45 on a utility atv before and I was pretty nervous.

It has a switch for 4wd or 2wd and a lever on the right side for fwd-hi-lo-reverse
SOB!!! Awsome deal...

If you've got a title you're in the clear. :thumbup:

My 21 year old 4wheeler does 60mph on worn out rings :haha: I personally dont like polaris's automatic stuff...I like semi autos best...manuals for racing :toothless: Autos do fine AFAIC.

KC

·
Registered
971 Posts
i bet it will do 60. i went well over 50 on a 400 4x4 before. but thats an amazing deal.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tore it down yesterday. I hate mosquitos. Going to need a new rear cv axle, and transmission. I probably could have fixed the trans but I broke both rear caliper bolt mounts off the casting.

I found everything on ebay. I got the cv axle, transmission and a new fender for $380 shipped, so total I'll have into it is $580.

Few shots:

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
That poor little guy probably never knew what was coming..

I ride one of those. my father in-law owes it.. They're a fun little machine. Plenty of power and rides super nice. Just remember to his the reverse override button if you want to go backwards :)

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
A friend of ours had one and my KDX had a fight on its hands in the loose stuff. I think that's a good deal you might give the belt a look since your in there that far our friends blew the belt down by the levee let me tell you they're no fun to push up a hill.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its done!... for now. about $500 later. Now everything works.

Cleaned everything. Replaced trans (come to find out it didn't actually need this), low range shift linkage, both rear cv axles, oil change, bled brakes, and a rear fender that doesn't perfectly match but it works.

Next to Randy

Bought this off craigslist for $100 it should be going on next week when the mount gets here. ALso going to make some kind of front rack.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts