Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ladies enjoy his
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had a few questions and i have looked around for them and found stuff...but i dont really know what they mean

1. what is a SAS (solid axle swap)? what does it do? what are the benefits?
2. what is a shackle flip? what does it do? what are the benfits?

i;m new to most of this and have heard lots of ppl mentioning these things, and having no idea wht they mean its kind of irritating when every is always talking about them and such....

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
spaustin889 said:
i've had a few questions and i have looked around for them and found stuff...but i dont really know what they mean

1. what is a SAS (solid axle swap)? what does it do? what are the benefits?
2. what is a shackle flip? what does it do? what are the benfits?

i;m new to most of this and have heard lots of ppl mentioning these things, and having no idea wht they mean its kind of irritating when every is always talking about them and such....

do a search, but im bored so ill telll you

1. solid axle swap, our trucks have ttb stock, and it has alignment issued, cant hold up to big tires 37+, solid axles are good for hardcore offroad rigs, especially for rock crawling, because there stronger and better suspension flex, i think i covered the basics there

2. a shackle flip does what it says, it flips the shackle, that way it gives you more lift

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts

·
ladies enjoy his
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like i said i did, and i knew that the sas involved swithing out the stock axles for bigger ones

but what type of bigger ones are you talking about? dana 60's?? somthing bigger than that?

and on the sas? i knew it involved lifting the truck, but i didnt know how much lift it gives or how much it costs to do this?

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
spaustin889 said:
like i said i did, and i knew that the sas involved swithing out the stock axles for bigger ones

but what type of bigger ones are you talking about? dana 60's?? somthing bigger than that?

and on the sas? i knew it involved lifting the truck, but i didnt know how much lift it gives or how much it costs to do this?

dana 44s most people use, the dana 60 is a upgrade

the SAS is not really for more lift, yes u have to lift it more for clearance

it cost a good bit, im not really sure the range, but axles arent cheap, and the fabrication etc.

use SEARCH to find, thers soooo many threads on this, it even has its own section

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
spaustin889 said:

there is a whole damn sub forum on SAS. you didnt search to hard. not trying to be an ass about it but this is asked at least 20 times a week

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
If you look in the Tech write ups section and find threads named "My shackle flip install" or similiar then there will be pics of how it works There is a guy named nineinches that used to post here till he got a Zuke and built that up, he did a good write up (complete how to with pics) on his using F-250 forward rear spring hangers. Hopefully the pics are still good. In a lot of other peoples write ups there is probably a link to sky manufacturing and you will notice they are running 35's with stock springs, no blocks and still have room to spare.

As for SAS, it involves the front axle, since the stock D44 TTB is not "Solid" It is 2 beams (hence Twin traction beam) On a 70's ford 1/2 ton they used what we consider solid Dana 44's because it doesnt pivit in the middle, it is one complete axle, less moving parts. Most people get there axles from those (76 and up for High pinion and Disk brakes).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts