Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. im Thinking of buying an 1986 Bronco with 5.0 Auto..4x4 and such. It has a couple of problems for $500 or so
The previous owner had tryed to install headers and got one side on, and the last bolt holding the other manifold in is stripped real nicely. Any suggestions on that?
And, you have to start it with a screwdriver because the metal rod on the steering column that goes form the key switch to the ignition switch broke. and anyone have anything to say about that?
Thanks for the help!

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,181 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
For the ignition, I just had to have my fixed. Got home one day and the BKO wouldn't shut off. It is 2 rods that cost $20 total but a pain in the ass to install. Due to single digit temps here I had a local shop fix mine. Cost $375 for parts and labor.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had similar problems with my steering column where I had to use pliers to grab the rod and push it down to get it started. I bought a used steering column off ebay for $35 and swapped it out. There are plenty in the junkyards. There is a post on here that shows how to rebuild the column, but I found replacing the whole column to be easy.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the stripped bolt keeping the old manifold from coming off, or is the hole stripped so the new header can't be tightened?

As for the actuator, here's a couple of good threads.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70454
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83161
stripped bolt keeping it from coming off. i think theres one in the far back that is a PITA and might be a little stripped

yea it runs fine and everything the interior is nice but missing a few things.
project? haha

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump :)

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,181 Posts
stripped bolt keeping it from coming off. i think theres one in the far back that is a PITA and might be a little stripped

yea it runs fine and everything the interior is nice but missing a few things.
project? haha
Ok , several things to try:
-Soaking it for a few days with a good penetrant (I've used liquid wrench for forever, some people like PB Blaster). Spray it a few times a day, try it a little, soak it some more.

-Hitting the head with a hammer might jarr it enough to break loose.

-Sometimes warming up the engine up a little can make a stuck bolt easier, but that could be rough with 1/2 of the exhaust gone, as well as having to work with hot exhaust.

-Another possibility is to heat it with a propane torch. Expansion & contraction from heat changes can help.

-Working it back & forth (Tighter/looser) can help free rusted threads too.

-If all else fails, drilling it out & threading the hole with a tap may be the final solution. If you did cut the head of the bolt off, & slid the manifold over it, then you could try the steps above with better access to the base of the bolt. I'd rather not cut it off, but sometimes there's no other choice.

-Remove the head & work on it on your workbench, sometimes different angles work.

-Replace the head.

Usually a combination of techniques does it. Be patient & let it soak, keep working it, eventually you'll get it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts