Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive been looking at sas threads for the last hour or so, and i have a few questions for my sas i plan on doing later this summer, im doing the double 60 swap.

1. Can i keep my quad-shock front or do i need to go to a single coilover
2. Is anyone running a nitro gas shock(expensive i know but i have some connections at the local 4x4 shop)
3. 5-lug or 8-lug
4. What would be a good t-case to run, or should i stick with the BW
5. Since the local shops cant do an alignment on a solid front axle truck should i go to a semi-truck repair shop and have them do it
6. Any preferances on gear oil

any help is welcomed, thanks guys

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Dat_Bronco_Boi said:
ok ive been looking at sas threads for the last hour or so, and i have a few questions for my sas i plan on doing later this summer, im doing the double 60 swap.

2. Is anyone running a nitro gas shock(expensive i know but i have some connections at the local 4x4 shop)
3. 5-lug or 8-lug
5. Since the local shops cant do an alignment on a solid front axle truck should i go to a semi-truck repair shop and have them do it

1. Are you gonna re-use the TTB coil buckets, or install the 78/79 style? Why a coilover? Why not a traditional coil and seperate shock?
2. i donno
3. depends on what rear axle you go with, right? it's not like you can get a 8-lug 8.8, and 5-lug D60's are kinda rare (and undesireable)
4. BW is fine
5. you can do a decent job in your driveway, if you've got the patience
6. that kinda depends on which locker/limited slip you install. Some require different oils than others. I'd recomment 90w gear oil, if you dont' need the special 'additives'.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,747 Posts
Dat_Bronco_Boi said:

3. 5-lug or 8-lug

1. You can but there are more applications for Eye-to-eye shocks vs shocks with a stud up top. Plus, (and this is personal preference) the job just looks cleaner when you use the 70s upper coil mount and f350 shock tower.
2.not that i know of
3. No real choice here...if youre going 60s front/rear youre gonna be 8lug.
4. Unless the BW is givin ya problems then stay with it! Its a decent case with a good low range. If you want bombproof you can put in a 205, but you lose the good low range.
5. alignment on a SA truck is easy to do. yeah, a truck shop should be able to do it, but liek Ogeechee said, you can also do it yourself.
6. i personally am using castrol 80w90 for break-in, and then im gonna switch to synthetic. Although when my bronco was my DD i ran regular 85w140 and now a few years later the stock rears still look brand new inside.

Ogeechee 4x4 said:
3. depends on what rear axle you go with, right? it's not like you can get a 8-lug 8.8,
Actually you can, out of light duty F250s from the early 80s.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
semifloat 8-lug 8.8? A bastard child or was there any strength difference? I wouldn't run one for the life of me, just curious.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Saurian said:
semifloat 8-lug 8.8? A bastard child or was there any strength difference? I wouldn't run one for the life of me, just curious.
I don't think so aside from the extra studs. Just an all-around cost saving type idea most likely. What would have been strengthend, perhaps the thin walled tubes? It's still and 8.8 which is fine for a 1/2T, not acceptable for any real 3/4T application. This may be why it finally began to go away...the 1/2T models got even heavier after the demise of the bronco...the new style F150 and big ol' Expedition, just too much for the 8.8 and we started seeing the 9.75 SF as the beginner truck axle, which could be used for 1/2and light duty 3/4T apps until one needed the beef the of the 10.25.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
1. This question makes it sound like you are going to convert from leaf to coils. Is this correct? If so, you have a lot of planning to do here, and you should check out some of the guys's trucks on here that have D60 coil. IMO that would be my focus of understanding, I wouldn't concern myself with Q#6.
2. Is anyone running a nitro gas shock(expensive i know but i have some connections at the local 4x4 shop). Yes, they aren't expensive. Cage offroad was actually selling 3 with 1 free for $37EA. These have been good shocks so far. Nitrogen gas charged.
3. 5-lug or 8-lug, D60's from what you state...If you got a pair from a late 70's truck, these would already be 8 lug. The front only comes that way, I certainly would never try to convert it.
5. Since the local shops cant do an alignment on a solid front axle truck should i go to a semi-truck repair shop and have them do it, shops can but why bother. Once you have your truck assembled, post up and we'll give you tips on how to align yourself. I used no shop.

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
davesanrn said:
there are a million gas shocks, gabriel, monroe, etc. don't need special connections to get 'em
im talking about external resivor nitro shock

also i have a d60 for the rear as well i blew the 8.8 up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts