Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my 87 bw1356 rebuilt to specs that work with my 93. I had to fab up a new arm at the case and i'm nut sure the detent is going all the way to 4lo (the case is though). My case locks into 4lo when it gets to the front of the raised neutral lug. I can't get the shifter to go all the way up to the forwardmost detent. I completly refurbished the linkage and added zirk fittings, so it's not stiff.

Where exactly is 4lo on the detent plate?

I also need to get the harness to make the dash indicator lights work. I refuse to pay what Ford wants for a foot long cable with two wires in it. I went to my local part stores to try and find a connector that could be modified to plug into the 4x4 indicator switch at the transfercase, but struck out. The junkyards around here never have any 4x4 ford trucks/broncos. Does anyone know of anything else on these trucks that uses the same connector that plugs into the 4x4 indicator switch on the transfercase?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,501 Posts
Couple of things, the transfer case I put in my '92 came out of an '87. I used the detent plate pictured along with the linkage from a manual shift bronco and did not have any problems at all. If you can't get the lever to move all the way back and everything is bolted up correctly you linkage might not be the right length.

AS far as the harness goes for the dash indicator, I was able to find one on ebay. should look like this.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
The way it should work is that when you first pull back on the shifter, you end up at the wall, and that is 4hi. then you have to push down and pull back. The manual states this needs to be a fluid pull back otherwise you can end up in neutral. This would be at the top of the plate, that island in the middle you are pointing to. What you need to get to is the farthest detent to the left, that is low range.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jermil,

Did you use the 8-91 or 92-96 style linkage with yours? Some (but appaently not all) of the early cases have the square shift shaft. These cases have the arm pointing at 10 o'clock when in 2wd and the newer ones point straight up when in 2wd. I had to cut the arm in half and turn the top portion rearward 90 degrees to make it work with the 92-96 style linkage. My gut feeling is that I went a little too far and that its not allowing the peg to reach the forward most detent for 4lo. The case does go into low range, but the peg is at the very front edge of the "N" lug on the detent plate. Do you have the P/N for that harness?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,501 Posts
my linkage is the '92 - '96 style. trying to picture what you did to that arm, did you shorten it? If so than I'd say that's probably you're issue. As far as the P/N for the harness, I can check tomorrow, I may still have the package.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't shorten it, just basically tuned it into an "L". Because the square portion of the shift shaft points at 10 o'clock on mine, the "L" shape relocates the gromet connection back up at 12 to work with the late model linkage. The heat from welding it made it twist a little bit, which is probably making it a bit too short. I'm probably gonna have to put it in the vice and bend it back towards the front of the truck a bit more (allready had to do it once). I can get the t-case into every position, its just that the pin at the bottom of the linkage doesn't reside in the ideal spot on the detent plate like it should. When its in 4lo you can push it back it to neutral without having to push down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts