Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a few questions that maybe yall can help me with so here goes

1. I bought some of the Accel Hi-temp Super Stock 8mm spark plug wires because i heard they are decent wires. So I open the box and the ends of the wires aren't connected! I've never seen this before, aparently you are supposed to put the ends on yourself but the instructions are sketchy as all hell. it says im supposed to strip the black insulation off half way to expose the wire inside but theres nothing but fibers inside, how does this work?

2. How can i check the rich/lean ness of my engine fuel mixture? i have a 79 f-150 351w with a 4barrel edelbrock 600cfm carb?

3. How do i adjust the mixture correctly?

4. I want to check the timing on my truck but the only way to do it and be able to see the pointer is to remove the fan, radiator hoses, belts and pulleys and an ass of other shit, is there another way to do it or any tricks? or would it not hurt any thing to do it like that?:whiteflag

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
colinlesser said:
Ok, I have a few questions that maybe yall can help me with so here goes

1. I bought some of the Accel Hi-temp Super Stock 8mm spark plug wires because i heard they are decent wires. So I open the box and the ends of the wires aren't connected! I've never seen this before, aparently you are supposed to put the ends on yourself but the instructions are sketchy as all hell. it says im supposed to strip the black insulation off half way to expose the wire inside but theres nothing but fibers inside, how does this work?

2. How can i check the rich/lean ness of my engine fuel mixture? i have a 79 f-150 351w with a 4barrel edelbrock 600cfm carb?

3. How do i adjust the mixture correctly?

4. I want to check the timing on my truck but the only way to do it and be able to see the pointer is to remove the fan, radiator hoses, belts and pulleys and an ass of other shit, is there another way to do it or any tricks? or would it not hurt any thing to do it like that?:whiteflag
1.) the fiber IS supposed to be there. i learned today in Auto Tech that spark plug wires are really STRING that is wound with carbon which transfers electricity. this is to keep from interfering radio signals. if the wires were made of copper, your radio would be pure static, your cell-phone wouldn't hold incoming/out-going calls. you should have just bought Autolites plugs and wires!

2.) don't double post, search edlebrock for your carb and read how to adjust it.

3.) see above.

4.) there's another way, but i don't know it. when these other guys with other threads are told to 'check the timing' and they come back an hour or so with timing results, do you really think they took all that shit off? SEARCH!!!! there are things called 'timing lights' do some research, find out how they work, find a few different GOOD brands, read how each one of those works, see what their application is, and then price shop.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
only a few questions? thats unlike you colin...

1. they sell a special plier for crimping...
2. if you need it pm me an e-mail address and i can send you the manual for the eldelbrock carb.

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for #2 what the hell does finding out what your mixture is have to do with adjusting the carb?
and for #4 i know what a timing light is turkey, and i was talking about using one, but theres so much stuff in the way that there is no way to get a shot at it with a timing light, hence the question of is there another way to do it

·
Try it now!!
9,120 Posts
They sell wires like that so you can make them the exact length you need. It's not too difficult, strip the outer insulation back a bit, bend the carbon wire back over the inner insulation and crimp it on the connector. Don't forget the boot!

I dont like them because I always screw them up and dont care about perfect length.

-Will

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
colinlesser said:
the instructions say to strip the cabon off by 1/2 inch
that doesnt make sense
What word is this?

Cut to fit wires are the only way to go.
Re read the instructions, read them slowley. It's fairly simple.

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i meant carbon, so am i just supposed to cut the wires to length and the strip them leavign the carbon on? then clamb the ends on?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
This how I do my 300+ race wires.

1. Trim the wire to length + 1/2", remember leave room for it to move. You dont want it too tight.

2. Remove the silicone insulation 1/2" back.

3. Fold the 1/2" of exposed core over the edge of the wire.

4. Clamp on the terminal around the wire and the folded over core.

5. Install boot.

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you wouldnt happen to know how many degrees the ignition timing should be set to on a carbed 351w would ya?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
colinlesser said:
but i dont strip the carbon right?
I didnt strip anything back but insulation.
colinlesser said:
you wouldnt happen to know how many degrees the ignition timing should be set to on a carbed 351w would ya?
Did you look in your Haynes manual?

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it says 8degress BTDC but it also says with the dura spark 2 system only a inital timing adjustment is possible, im really confused, the whoe reason im asking is cuase im getting alot of backfireing when i shift gears and when i coast in gear.

Edit: i also have that little vaccume line attached to the dist, could that cuase it?

·
aka BroncoB♥tch
839 Posts
Read and Follow Instructions carefully that's all I gotta say. I got a set of Taylor wires and for the price of them I am gonna take my time and not mess them up. I don't want to have to buy another set

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
colinlesser said:
it says 8degress BTDC but it also says with the dura spark 2 system only a inital timing adjustment is possible, im really confused, the whoe reason im asking is cuase im getting alot of backfireing when i shift gears and when i coast in gear.

Edit: i also have that little vaccume line attached to the dist, could that cuase it?
I want you to type in this thread word for word what the directions in the Hayns manual say. Becouse the instructions should be crystal clear to the point where any monkey can understand them.

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have corrected the probelm with the backfireing, it wasnt the timing ,and besides i cant even see the harmonic balancer so i cant do the timing

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead I am beginning to see the light.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
colinlesser said:
besides i cant even see the harmonic balancer so i cant do the timing
Nobody but you has this problem. Everybody else with a 79 can see there just fine.

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hold on ill take a pic since you dont belive me, you must remember 79's only came with the V6, 302, 351M, and 460 they never had a 351W that year

1 - 20 of 24 Posts