Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started hearing a loud exhaust sound and i started looking around and found 2 cracks about 2" long on the passenger exhaust manifold. i have read on here that these things are prone to this. i ran a bead of weld down each crack just to keep them from getting bigger, should i just get some new stock manifolds, go with headers, or just run them til the crack completely. also i bet they are a bear to get out. it is just a beater truck, as long as it runs.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,918 Posts
a replacement manifold is over $100. you can get a pair of headers and improve your performance for under $200 if you shop or a little more for better quality. driving with cracked manifolds is not good for the motor

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
No, they're not long enough to reach the Y-pipe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Definitely go with the headers...I had a new exhaust manifold put in recently and I regret it...I wish I would have just put the money towards some headers...now I'm stuck for a while because I just can't justify spending money on headers right now since I have a NEW exhaust manifold. So that prject has moved farther down my lists...

·
Registered
624 Posts
SigEpBlue said:
No, they're not long enough to reach the Y-pipe.
i was talking about the clearance, not to fit with OEM parts. The engine bays in a stang are alot tighter than in a truck, I imagine they would clear. They're deff not long enough to reach the y pipe if you stick em on a W :twak

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what is the best way to get the manifolds out? also i am a diesel nut and this gas bronco is my mt rig so i want to keep price down. also i am ignorant to which headers to choose, any specifics would be great. thanksj osh

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Pull the inner fender and take em off.

Join the club. I dont know if there is anyone here who has never had a cracked exhaust manifold on these trucks. Both of mine have them. Good excuse to get some headers.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
pud said:
i was talking about the clearance, not to fit with OEM parts. The engine bays in a stang are alot tighter than in a truck, I imagine they would clear. They're deff not long enough to reach the y pipe if you stick em on a W :twak
Well, no kidding. You asked:

i wonder if the factory short tubies off an HO (stang, cougar, bird) will fit a truck application
That's assuming, at least in the eyes of most people who would read this, that it would have to fit up to a truck Y-pipe. Who knows, except you, what you're doing other than the headers? To the best of my knowledge, NO ONE makes a Y-pipe made to fit Mustang headers on a truck application. Those Mustang headers will fit on the engine just fine. These trucks have a lot more room to play with than a Fox body anyway.

Now, if you're talking about modifying your Y-pipe or doing something custom to save some money, that's a different story.

·
Registered
624 Posts
my 86 stang had a W out of a truck, I put the shorties off an HO on it. The collectors come out in the same place, just 1 1/4" higher. I had enough room to lift my exhuast, however. I think collectively, the collectors are in the same place on manifolds and factory shorties, so then they should line up to the y-pipe on a 5L bronco, as his truck is a 5L and we arent talking about your windsor.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Ah yes. I have a 351W, so I automatically know nothing about 5.0L setups. :toothless

1 - 13 of 13 Posts