Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He all. My 1978 bronco wAs running fine. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, coil, ignition box module thing, probably more. I ran out of gas the other day, and as I was cranking it to get gas through the lines, and it wouldn't stop cranking. My buddy opened the hood and pulled off the coil wire and the wires that plug into the solenoid by the time I got over there. I pulled the negative wire off of the battery.

I towed it home, plugged everything back together, and put a new solenoid in. When I turned the key to accessories, it started cranking. I had a spark plug in the coil wire to check for spark. It didn't have spark. I tried cranking it again, and when the key hit accessory, it started cranking and and wouldn't stop. i pulled the negative wire again. I thought it was the ignition switch.

So with a new ignition switch and the new solenoid... It acts the SAME way. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have spark because it has gas and I primed it and it didn't even try to start. It usually starts without even choking it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
375 Posts
It sounds like either the wrong solenoid or it isn't wired correctly.

You need to verify all wiring is correct then try again.

I didn't make this but it is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From memory, it should be wired the same as the picture above. The only possibility is that the red and black plug on wires are swiched.

·
OMF
2,930 Posts
I think you did switch the 2, the wire on the left will be hot when the key is on, the one on the right is hot when cranking.
Take a volt meter and test for 12 volts when cranking, the one with 12 volts only when cranking will go on the post to the left, the other will go on the post to the right.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Raleigh. I'll be sure to check that. I'll post an update tomorrow when I can check it out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone, I checked my solenoid wiring and everything looks ok. It was suggested to me that electricity could be arcing from an accessory wire to a wire running to the solenoid. Any idea where this might be happening? To what accessory? I haven't seen anything suspicious yet and I'm trying to avoid having to unwrap the harness.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give this thread a bump since I see a bunch of similar situations on yahoo answers and the like. No one has a solution. I haven't figured mine out yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
have you check the stator . it's located under the distributor cap it's a 2 wire component purple and orange wires i believe.. make sure they are not frayed or broken due to heat build up had a similar problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have a newer starter on your motor it will need to be wired with the battery wires on the same side and the small wire from the starter on the other side. See the photo. If it's wired up like the stock one it will crank the minute you turn the key on and won't stop until you unplug the battery. It will also case your coil to burn out.

·
Registered
749 Posts
You need to verify you're actually correct about the solenoid wiring by using a volt meter to check the wires that trigger it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
For no solution yet, with replaced solenoid, wires, and switch ... maybe there was an overheat in the wiring to the switch when you were cranking the engine over and the ACC got fused to the RUN. The only other thing I can think of is a bad DSII box since it feeds both the start and crank signals out to the solenoid/coil.

What a strange problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts