Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have an 81 bronco xlt, it was the v6 and the previous owner did the 351w swap on it.

A few days ago I let the car warm up as usual, its coolant level was good and I drove it to work. no unusal sounds, noises, or vibrations. I parked the car, as soon as i put the car from reverse to park it immediately shut off. it do not bog down start to lose power, it completely shut off. The car would not start at all, it was a crank no start.

I checked the carb and I am visually able to see fuel entering the car, it has brand new wires plugs and distributor.

I had to vehicle towed to my house and it sat for 3 days before I was able to work on it, the car started right up with no issues.

The starter relay keeps popping and I have to knock it to tell the starter to disengage after the car is already running.

yesterday I drove it to work and halfway to work while accelerating it completely shut off on me. engine temp was fine, I can see it has gas going into the carb.

I am lost if anyone can help me that would be great thanks.

WWinter

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like the Duraspark (ignition) module.

Explain the starter relay popping thing more please? Although that sounds like a separate, concurrent issue.

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
It's either fuel or electric.......check the "starter relay" on the right inside fender that the single ignition wire isn't loose and that all the cables and wires that converge are free of any corrosion....battery cable ends can become loose or crack creating intermittent starts check those as well.......

You might want to breakout the multimeter and test the electric fuel pump if you have that set up or test the non elec. fuel pump with a pressure guage that the rubber diaphragm hasn't ruptured inside.........

Last make sure the ignition key cylinder doesn't have any issues....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies!

What I mean by the starter relay popping is: as soon as I start the car it the engine cranks and starts, the engine is started but the starter is continuing to engage and does not stop. I have to tap on the starter relay to get the starter to disengage since the engine is already running.

I replaced the starter relay and sponaneously have the issue still. I replaced the positive battery cable it had 2 gauge and converted to 4 gauge to match the size running from the relay to the starter.

Would the iginition module be located withing the ignition lock in the steering coloumn??

I checked the starter relay to ensure the igniton wire is snug which it is. The vehicle has a mechanical fuel pump which I verified that fuel is entering the carb. I will check the pressure in the fuel pump also.

thanks for the help I will update as much as I can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies!

What I mean by the starter relay popping is: as soon as I start the car it the engine cranks and starts, the engine is started but the starter is continuing to engage and does not stop. I have to tap on the starter relay to get the starter to disengage since the engine is already running.

I replaced the starter relay and sponaneously have the issue still. I replaced the positive battery cable it had 2 gauge and converted to 4 gauge to match the size running from the relay to the starter.

Would the iginition module be located withing the ignition lock in the steering coloumn??

I checked the starter relay to ensure the igniton wire is snug which it is. The vehicle has a mechanical fuel pump which I verified that fuel is entering the carb. I will check the pressure in the fuel pump also.

thanks for the help I will update as much as I can.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Sounds a bit like you starter is miswired. The PMGR starter can run on when miswired. Do a little searching on the PMGR starter.

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
The only other possibility "assuming" you have this set up inside the steering wheel is your "upper ignition actuator" is about to break.

I went thru this when I first got my BKO and the starter would continue to crank after I turned the key to OFF/LOCK and removed it........PITA

To get a better idea of what this looks like go to FSB member bronco boy's "upper ignition actuator" replacement for 1985 steering column, it's a picture step by step how to replace the part which can usually found in the Help section of most auto parts stores Mfgd by Doorman for $10.00........it's a bit of a PITA job but if that's your issue the new part will solve the problem.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Google Duraspark II Diagnostic manual and follow the steps. I just went through a similar problem with my 82 and I first tried everthing suggested here and spent over 200 bucks in parts then a person who new his stuff sent me to the manual and I fixed the problem with a 4 buck coil wire.

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
If you have to bang on the starter relay for the starter motor to stop then replace the "starter relay" with either a Bosch or Motorcraft and you should be good to go......!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts