Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a partial rebuild on my 351W (my first, chanigng whatever I can get to without pulling the engine). When pulling the harmonic balancer, I stripped (or crushed) the teeth of the crankshaft with the puller tool. I am planning to try and re-tap the shaft. Does this have any chance of working?

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Thats not good. Your crank is now effectively out of balance:duh How did you do that, your supposed to remove the center bolt, take the big washer off then re-install it and use the puller.

Doesnt seam like there is much to rebuild on an engine without removing it (another 40 minutes of work.)

Good luck, welcome to the site.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
All of them or just a few threads towards the front? If it's just a few at the front then don't worry about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I could pull the engine, but my apartment comes with very small garage :doh0715:

Closer inspection revealed that the puller tool suffered most of the damage. Filings from its threads have filled the space between the crankshaft's threads, making it look smooth and stripped. A little brushing and it doesnt look so bad. Also, the bolt seems to lock in pretty tight so I guess it is ok. I am just a little paranoid.:wacko

Thanks.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
I would be too, next time use the balancer bolt to stop the puller bolt from going in there.:thumbup

Good luck with the rebuild, are you pulling the heads???

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
81Bronk36 said:
I would be too, next time use the balancer bolt to stop the puller bolt from going in there.:thumbup

Good luck with the rebuild, are you pulling the heads???
They are pulled, tanked, inspected, and painted. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts