Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 302 EFI in the 1989 has expired.

Would like to know the latest thinking about re-power with a crate engine from 302 to 351EFI family of motors.

Additional info about the truck:

Aod tranny
3.55 gears (going to 4.33 later in the year)
33" tires (going to 35's when this set is through)

Truck Use:

Boat hauling (6,000 lb boat& trailer)
Bird Hunting

and yes have read a majority of the older threads concerning 302 swapped for 351.

As usual, thanks in advance and free adult beverages tommorrow!!!!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
buy a 351w and get the computer froma junkyard...
your 302 harness will need little modification to work on the 351w...i think the 302 coolant temp sensor is on the back of the intake where the 351w is on the front...little stuff like that

or go to as j-yard...find a 351w for 300 bux ish and rebuild it yourself...as long as the rotating assembly doesnt need work you can do a rebuild for under 350

dc

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for input DC but this project is fortunate to have a budget for some extra(s) upgraded to match the restored truck.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Jasper :thumbup

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
personally i would rebuild a motor over buying a crate motor, you learn a lot more and can better service later on. of course not everyone wants to devote the time to doing a rebuild

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The key elements as mentioned are time and budget. Short on time and have a fair budget. After further review of previous threads and posts, looks as though Ford Racing Performance Products is going to get some business to re-power the truck.

Free beer tommorrow!!

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
MyFullSize said:
Jasper :thumbup
Yep...

......or FoMoCo rebuilts. You'd be amazed at how competitive the costs really are.

There are also some (reputable) companies selling performance long and short blocks via Ebay. I've been considering a 351 long block from a dealer in SC cause I can't get the core and rebuild the dayum thing this cheap anymore!

Oh yeah... swap the 302 for a 351. You'll be much happier in the long run.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will meet today with the shop that does all my contract fleet work. At this point, it's decision time for which of 351w engines will mate up with the Aod and the rest of the truck for ease of conversion.

Does it make sense to upgrade the EEC-IV to a OBD system?

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
Broncomeaux said:
Will meet today with the shop that does all my contract fleet work. At this point, it's decision time for which of 351w engines will mate up with the Aod and the rest of the truck for ease of conversion.

Does it make sense to upgrade the EEC-IV to a OBD system?

why not?:thumbup

·
Registered
636 Posts
Seems it would be cheaper and better to get the TwEECer than to go OBDII. There really isn't that much stuff out there for the older OBDII vehicles that I have seen.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Now the "good stuff" advice is coming in.....

Broncomeaux is analog, running at breakneck speed to learn digital, iffen you know what it means.

Manny thanks yous!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mda said:
If price was not an important factor I'd buy this:

http://www.fordcobraengines.com/Mass_flo351w.htm

351 EFI all comps and wiring included. Closest thing I've found to the 502 and 350 RAM Jets Chevy sells that are all inclusive EFI.

:shocked :shocked :shocked

Now that's a verrry sexy engine. The idea of matched components, including computer, harnesses, and mass-air..... The engine bay would need to be enhanced to reflect the status. Mirror polish stainless??

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure you get a freshly rebuilt engine. I got a rebuilt E4od from the local Ford dealer($3200) and it crapped out 2 weeks later with rust inside on a valve. There was no telling how long it had been on the shelf. To make a real long story short, the dealer rebuilt my rebuilt trans. It's good now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jsb767 said:
Whatever you do, make sure you get a freshly rebuilt engine. I got a rebuilt E4od from the local Ford dealer($3200) and it crapped out 2 weeks later with rust inside on a valve. There was no telling how long it had been on the shelf. To make a real long story short, the dealer rebuilt my rebuilt trans. It's good now.
Any guess how often this type problem happens?
Certainly great advice to check the "born on date"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts