Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search but I am not satisfied. For a nondaily but mostly on-street driving which is suggested crate or rebuilt? Can you order a crate with mods like cam and heads? Is the 90's roller widsor stronger? If so can I switch to it w/out complications?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,883 Posts
whats nice about a rebuilt setup is you get to chose what you want into it. crate motors can be nice because of warranty and they are all ready to go for the most part. it really depends if your in a hurry or if you can still drive what you have and find a block to have rebuilt. so when its done you just swap it in

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have about two weeks starting yesterday. So time isn't on my side but I'd rather rent a car and do it right

·
Registered
490 Posts
BillyB said:
I have about two weeks starting yesterday. So time isn't on my side but I'd rather rent a car and do it right
just buy a crate. thats what im running. got it from autozone for $1k. im running the stock cam. but you can easily change the cam before you put it in since it dont come with a a intake. the stock cam has alot of torque. my enginge was rebuilt by ATK. which i heard was a really good rebuilder. no problems here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my opinion is that if you can do all of the rebuild your self or have a friend help (other than machine work of course) is to go that route. you have all of your options open to run whatever you want. plus you can taylor it to your needs. even if your just looking for a stock replacement a rebuild is going to be cheaper. northern auto parts sells a good kit for under $500 and comes with your choice of cam. and the machine work will only run about $400 total.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I'd just get a crate. Theres literally hundreds and hundreds of choices out there in power, durability, price, and everything else you would be looking for in a crate engine.

Rebuilding can be fun, but its a big headache compared to just ordering up a complete engine and giving them your old core

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well i would have to say depends.
If i was doing it myself and only had 2 weeks then i would get a Crate motor or have someone rebuild it. When i was in BC there was a shop that would turn around in 3 days and that included a 100K warranty on all internal parts.
I did the 6 on my F150 and once it was broken it i never had a problem in the 3 years i owned that truck. total with a new block installed back in the truck was 1300.00 CAD.
Do you have any respectiable engine shops in your area? Call them and get a quote. when they put it together tell them what you want in it.
Other that that some Crate shops will modify the engine for you before shipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts