Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my front calipers/rotors/brake pads up front as a caliper went bad causing some other issues. I'd wanted some stainless steel extended lines so I figured now was the time to do it. The job went smooth as silk and my brakes feel better than they ever have exept for ONE thing.

On my way back home from the initial install I noticed a click click click sound that changed with the vehicle speed. When I pressed the brake pedal it would go away. I went back to work put it on the lift, threw it in 4 wheel and started it up and put it in drive. Sure enough the OUTER pads are clanging around and moving about an 1/8" up and down. They sound horrible! The pads are supposed to have the shims built in but damn do they move around. Am I missing something? Are they supposed to be clipped or clamped to the caliper, or am I missing some part?

I used Wagner Thermo Quiet pads from Advance Auto Parts which they say replaced Bendix which I had previously. They say the OUTER pad has the shims "built in" and "that's all I should need.

What's going on and how do I fix it!:doh0715:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
the outer pad has tabs that stick away from the rotor, they're part of the pad backing plate. You're supposed to crush the tabs down so they squeeze the caliper, keeps the pads in place.

They're pretty stout and are a pita to bend, but that's what ya do.

Justin

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So...uhh...do you think I damaged my pads by driving approx 50-75 miles with them loose?

I'm officially an idiot. :chili:

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Isn't there a spring clip (or something like that) that is on the outside pad.. if i remember its on the bottom of the pad on the tab...

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
There's an anti-rattle clip that goes on the inside pad. Those are pretty effective. But if the outside pad is clunking around, you could just have a warped rotor, it could be not square on the hub flange, or the hub flange itself could be warped (I've already replaced one of mine that had that problem).

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nah, not squeezing it in place won't do anything but maybe give you a clunk or rattle. I always put mine together without squeezing the tabs, and take it back apart and crush them down if I get a clunk (rarely).

Justin

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just did my front brakes Sat and the Advanced Auto break shoes I got did not come with the spring clip (that I'm use to seeing) but I have not heard any noises.

I doubt you hurt the brakes or the rotor unless there was some metal to metal rubbing somewhere.

·
Registered
668 Posts
i never had to clamp my pads on, they just slid right on and stopped the giant brick of death from killing countless people in little jap cars.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys for all the quick replies. As soon as Hoxvii replied I jumped out in the shop (I work in the local BMW dealership) and threw it on a lift, crushed the tabs and it's perfect! I guess I just had NO idea to do that because the last pads I used (Bendix) didnt rattle at all.

At any rate all is well.

Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.