Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys heard this first thing this morning when I let off the gas.. Feels like its coming from the drive train cause when I hit the gas it stops.. It is extremely load and I can feel it when I grab the 4 wheel shifter? Could it be coming from my transfer case? Possibly the front gears? I use this for a daily driver so any help today would be great so I can go home and work on it this weekend. If I get home????

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this serious? Am I going to be able to get home this afternoon.. Sounds like I need to take this to a transmission place then huh?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I drove mine 15 miles to the shop with my foot on the gas any time I was over 15 mph, even when slowing down. As long as the engine was pushing the wheels forward, it did not make that noise. If that pump is spinning in the case, it will keep chipping more small filings into the fluid which cannot be good. Make sure, if this is the problem, the pump housing is secured to the transfer case.

·
Registered
273 Posts
About $650. I might have attempted to fix it myself but I had family in from out of town. You could also get one from a junkyard alot cheaper but the local yards did not have one when I needed it. They also replaced the fluid in the transmission and both differentials so I don't know what that particular repair would cost by itself.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Look if I was you I would be looking at all the possiabilities......my first thought was to check the u-joints and DC joint on the rear drive shaft. If your not shure how to do that, just use the search function here and you will get a bunch of info.....or you could ask

I dont know about you, but the sound of $650 to drop the TC, open it, secure the ATF pump.....then put it back sounds WAY friggen high, and would prompt me to buy another TC at the junker, so I have a TC in my truck while I am rebuilding the original one. This way when your done you will have a good to go TC on the shelf should you have any more problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have replaced the u-joints just about a month ago.. I don't know what I am going to do at this moment. I am going to call a friend of mine that owns a local garage to see what he thinks plus a guess on price.. Thanks for the options though.

·
Super Moderator
5,018 Posts
roadchopper said:
Have replaced the u-joints just about a month ago.. I don't know what I am going to do at this moment. I am going to call a friend of mine that owns a local garage to see what he thinks plus a guess on price.. Thanks for the options though.
Not sure what you've come up with, but I know I had the same deal coming from mine when I let off of the gas. It was from my driveshafts. I know you said you just replaced your U-Joints, but maybe it's something else inside the driveshaft that came apart? The torque of the engine kept the driveshaft still, but when I let off of the gas, the driveshaft would wobble all over the place, making a horrible noise, and could definitely be felt in the gearshift. Turns out the driveshaft innards had come apart and they had to be completely rebuilt from the ground up. (This is when I first got it. After realizing this, I took the driveshafts off, compressed them, and rust POWDER blew out. I can't even imagine how long it had been since they were last greased.)
You won't be able to tell by crawling underneath unless you jack it up because the weight of the vehicle will hold them still.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts