Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, tell me what you think.

I have a soft top on the way (yay eBay!) and I am going to want to be able to have the soft top on when I go camping.

The thing is, I also want to take my boat with me. It's designed to go on top of a vehicle.

I obviously can't put the boat on the soft top, but I have another idea.

I want to use the stock brackets for the spare tire carrier. Then get another set of brackets for the other side.

Then I'll build up to a crossbar that I can bolt the roof rack to. The front of the roof rack will be supported somewhere on the metal cab roof.

Here is a pic of what I have in mind:

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
It's probably not a good idea to cover the tail lights like that, but other than that looks cool.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Will this be a permenant rack or will it come off sometimes. If it stays the brakelights are an easy fix just add auxilarys mounted on the bumper or to the "rack frame" How does it mount in the front? Looks good though, good idea using the spare tire hinges..:thumbup

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
how much does the boat weigh?

are you going to tie some feet into the bumper? that would reduce some stress on the spare tire carrier mounts. looks good otherwise, nice mspaint skills, kinda like a canback top.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have to be able to take it off whenever I swap between hard top and soft top.

I was thinking of having one pipe fit into a smaller pipe, maybe right above the upper tire bracket. I had already thought of the auxilary lights on the frame too. I'll espeically want some backup lights on there.

The front of the rack will probly bolt onto a light bar style rack.

My only concerns are:

*Will the tire rack brackets support the weight?

*Is there something on the passenger side to stengthen the fender (for the tire rack) that isn't on the driver's side?

*Is there a strong enough place to put the light bar style rack in the front?

As always, Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The boat is probly only about 100lbs, even with the sail, and everything else.

I like the idea of adding feet to sit on the bumper.

The only problem is the boat is kind of wide, and it wouldnt fit next to the spare tire. Also, it's not wide enough to straddle the spare. So it would have to go above the spare, and I dont want to build up too much ride height.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Maybe if you setup a hinge on both sides at the rear bumper, and then two locking mechanisms on the cab roof (like the rear seat latch thingy), you could release the latches and swing the entire rack down. This way you can place the hard top on and still use the rack. It would also make it easier to get to the rear tire. I'll draw a picture of what I'm talking about.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
This is what I was talking about, but after drawing it, it doesn't seem like that great of an idea.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
I always wanted to make something similar to what pick ups use when they have a camper shell on ti, but i dont think you could get the roofs to line up right without using some reall small metal.
Another idea I had was to mount to the side of the bronco with large plates on the inside to distriute the weight better, but i am afraind it would tear the sheet metal if I slammed it on a tree or something. it is for this very reason that i might go to an exocage instead of inside.

·
Registered
111 Posts
FYI-there is extra support in the rear quarter panel for the spare tire mounts that are not available on the drivers side. Hope this doesn't shoot down your plans, both yours and jerry's look like a great idea! Maybe modify jerry's idea and mount to the rear bumper, just don't make it swing back. :thumbup

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
There is a guy on PJB that has a rack similar to that on his 79. I know it is removeable because I saw him at the Bloomsburg Jamboree with the top off. Not sure of his name.

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
I have a set of tire carrier brackets from an 84, just the pieces that bolt onto the quarter panel. $15 plus shipping if you want them.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I dont like the idea of using the tire rack brackets at all. Those things cant even hold a 31" tire and wheel much less the weight of a cage and a 100+ lbs of cargo.

here is an idea that I've been floating around

using flat steel plates attached under the fiberglass attached to the "bedrails" or even more highspeed would be tubing all the way to the frame

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
there is someone on here that made one that fit onto the top of the bedrails and came out and around and over the cap .. the top could be slid in and off out of the back without removing the rack ...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stangmata50l said:
Maybe we could get a pic of your boat? Thatway if we have a rough idea of the size visually, we can produce more innovative ideas. :thumbup

Here's some info on my boat:

http://www.castlecraft.com/sunflower_sailboat.htm

Fortunately, my sail isn't quite as gay looking as these. It's still a little gay though. :duh

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I could, but I would rather save $600, and keep my manuverability.

Realistically, if I used the tire brackets, and put feet on the frame, so it can also sit on the bumper, then didn't even bother with a rack, but just set the boat on the "rack frame", and a light bar style rack up front, I think that would work. It wouldnt be too heavy, it would be simple and I think it should work well.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts