Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

221 - 240 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Personally i'd throw that crossmember away and make your own.

I built one when i put the long radius arms on and it was pretty simple.

I used some energy suspension urethane bushings on the ends at the frame in some DOM and made a couple easy mounts that are welded at the frame.

The crossmember is just some 1/4" wall square tube that the upper mount fits over and just has a drilled hole for the bolt to pass through.

I am still using the side mount on the T-case at the frame.

New set-up frees up tons of space and is way simpler/user friendly when wrenching. Also doesn't hold tons of crap anymore like the original

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
I am in agreement that, the stock one eats up a ton of space, in a spot where you typically have a bunch of stuff going threw... A kit like this
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/axle-drivetrain/transfer-case-supports/universal-transmission-transfer-case-crossmember-mount
Would make quick work of it, I would need to add some tabs and such for brake lines and a front driveshaft loop but no big deal. Not that it has to be kit either just something I came across is all.

I will consider that suggestion for ditching the stock piece. Though it might have to go back in, for the short term due to time constraints to get that truck moving again.

Thanks

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Fresh paint should be dry and ready for install tomorrow.

Usually goes together easier then comes apart on this truck, for some reason

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Broader trans now bolted to engine, and in the truck.
Still have to install tcase, and a bunch of small things, but its getting there

Don't mind the scratched up pan, its coming off for the aluminum moroso off the old c6

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
The 205 is ready for install tomorrow

cleaned up, re-sealed and painted.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Transfer case installed. Now just have the small things left such as:
Drive Shafts
Drive Shaft Loops
Starter
Inspection cover
Run new transmission cooler lines
New trans fluid
New filter
Shift linkage

Should be moving on its own by end of this weekend.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
sweet! did you rebuild the TC too or just pull and paint it?
New gaskets/seals, I did take it apart for inspection and I did not see anything worth messing with. All bearings and such still in really good shape.
Worth noting that the trans I was using I am fairly sure was rebuilt at least once, it would not surprise me if tcase was too. The parts truck they came out of even had anti-sieze on the rear shock bolts, while thats a small thing, surprising to find. I feel like whom ever had it that did that, likely did decent work on everything else.... It has always shifted oddly nice for being from a '79

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm debating pulling my spare TC/trans off the spare motor to rework it or have it reworked over the winter. When we opened it up, there was some rust on some of the gears, I'm wondering if it would be a lost cause or not. Most likely will be sometime next year though.

After the fun I had removing tank bolts, I'm putting antisieze on everything I may touch in the future... Hopefully that will make the next owner not cuss as much on my other fixes...

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #230 (Edited)
My expeierience says it should be ok if just cleaned up. Worst case it makes a little extra noise from the pit marks, but if your trucks a bit louder like mine, I doubt you hear it much and even if you did, at least you know what it is.

Starter installed, inspection cover installed, new starter wire ran. I used 1/0 guage car audio cable for it this time in prep for the higher compression 429 that will end up in the 78 soon (hopefully). Had to order some fittings and 15' of AN line for to finish up the trans coolers and a new set of remflex collector gaskets. Should have those items tomorrow.

In a case of a bit of mission creep I have decided to move my spare from standing upright on the passenger side rear to sitting on the floor somewhat slightly towards the driver side.
Here is as it sits today

Doing this maybe just for something different, but I think it will better center the weight, especially when the gas cans are on the back bumper (they are on the pass. side). I also like the idea of being able to do a shelve on top of the tire, much like Desolate has on their shop truck's rear setup.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hey, you can never go too big on a starter cable. I have 2/0 battery and starter cables on my stock 302 in my F100. I just never wanted to have to worry about resistance. I noticed a huge increase in starter cranking speed once I swapped out the old, relatively tiny, cables. They were melted from over-cranking as well, which I'm sure didn't help anything.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Agree especially on off road trucks where stuff happens and you end up having to re-fire it sitting in mud, hot engine, etc...
I have already swapped in a PMGR sytle starter as well from LEB, that has thus far proven to be a good piece.

·
Registered
960 Posts
What kind of compression is the 429 going to have? The starter I have off my old 460 is a PMGR as well and I'll be sure to use it again whenever I manage to get another 460 built as it worked great, but for the 9.6:1 compression that my old 460 had it was probably overkill. I used to have a Powermaster PMGR starter and I think that one was advertised as being good for up to 12:1 compression or something like that. Actually, if the PMGR starter off my 460 will fit my 351M I'd consider putting that on my Bronco for a little more clearance under the headers.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
10.3:1

It should fit. The one on mine is advertised as fitting the 5.8, 400, and 429 & 460.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Slow day on truck...
Shifter bracket installed on trans
Just got done sand balsting the t-case lever
Pulled the moroso alum pan off the old trans
Kind of stuck for now until get some parts. No pics needed today pretty basic stuff. I did cut down an old kickdown bracket to act as a washer on the trans. There is an o-ring seal on a C6 right there so you somewhat have to use the kick down piece. Since running a console shifter and a performance valvebody, I have not had it hooked up to the carb since I have owned the truck.
Don't know what ford used to make those, but it wasn't just mild steel.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #236 (Edited)
AN hose and conections work great, be hard for me to use much else. Made new lines from trans to front cooler, then from that cooler back to the rear cooler, lines I had made previously. Knowing I may add another cooler I had added in a couple unions earlier so this was easy to do. I also had those in place if/when I wanted to move the trans temp probe around.

-8AN right from trans out threw out the whole thing

Then swapped pans, broader stamp of approval

Nicer pan cleaned up a bit and on the new trans

Also notice the blue gasket, that is from moroso and works fantastic, best one I have used for the C6.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Did not make it but closer. Linkage hooked up

y-pipe installed, its close to lot of stuff but fine

Ended up having to really work on the splines of the front driveshaft as the slip joint was binding up. It is good now though and installed.
:thumbup

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #238 (Edited)
Brakes are good to go now. Should get it finished up this evening
edit same pic more or less see below
Exhaust and Trans fluid is all thats left

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Moves and goes threw all the gears. Not had chance to really test it, but good so far, no leaks either.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #240 (Edited)
Had time to actually drive it a short bit over the weekend. Broader trans works great, very happy with it. The extra stall in the convertor really helps get this thing moving, even with the current 460. Notice the new black spot of paint, I caught the insulation on fire welding the screw holes shut from the rampage soft top, opps.... It actually sucked the panel in a little.

Since trans appears to be good to go I moved onto the rear. I removed the standing up spare mount. I am going to move it to the floor. I like the way this works out better, and it also makes the wieght more even in the rear. Yes loose some space, but I really only ever have a cooler back here and that can go on the spare.

Likely to have few more tubes added to the rear section, Want a floor bar and a few cross braces in prep for removing the tail gate.

221 - 240 of 274 Posts