Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

241 - 260 of 274 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Ordered this guy to hold the spare in its new floor location
I may try and move the floor jack to the rear more so I can run another utility jug up front by box. Also been thinking about not having the highlift jack in the truck all the time anymore.
If I get enough room for that, the gas can rack will be coming off the rear bumper.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Should have most the items to install soft top this evening. JBG had surprisingly good customer service this time around for me.
In a couple weeks Bronco will be back at Circle S to get some more tubing added to the roll cage. Should be the last few things I wanted to do with that. Will end up with the a rear section to go around the spare on the floor, few more pieces up front that I think it needs as well.

Once back from cage work, and a quick spray paint job, should be ready to install the 429, finally. Been double checking that I have everything to do that.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I dig your layout in the rear. I've removed the stock rear tire carrier and have my spare just floating around in the back. I'm redoing the interior rear panels now and am thinking about using the large locking bar in the floor that the rear bench seat for a hold down for the spare. After that I was thinking of running it next summer as a fastback (tailgate, hardtop rollbar removed and running halfdoors). With the tailgate, top, rear seat, roll bar and spare carrier removed, it is a lot of weight lugging around, but mostly I want to run it that way for the open air experience.

How hard is it to remove the tailgate on these 78s? I did a basic youtube search but only found the newer models removal. I'm sure it is very similar. I DO know there is a Very strong torque bar to be aware of.

One other side note. As I removed the stock roll bar while making room for the interior work, I saw just how laughable the mounting is, especially in my rusted out floorboard version. Id heard about this, but actually removing it was kind of eye opening.

keep truckin on the build!

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #244 (Edited)
It is more or less the same yes. Just make sure to take torsion rod off with gate barely open and you will be fine. On my 78 the bar is long gone, but the gate is also gutted so its light, do not need it. Thanks on layout it has changed 3 or 4 times now, so I can tell you how not to do it, lol. No top or doors is great in these old trucks, My favorite way to drive the 78 is with the tube doors on and no top.
Still slowly working on stuff. Played around with some tape last night for new rear tubes.
Highlift will either go on the mid bar or behind the tire on floor bar
something like this(see below), may do half circle instead of a triangle, will have to see what tubing bender can do... May just put X brace on whole back section too, may make more sense.
There is enough room for 2 5 gallon racing jugs behind the tire in the corners now too, I may do that instead of the jerry cans on the swing part of bumper. Not decided yet.

I also swapped the rubber vacuum lines on the modulator out for some silicon ones.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
decided the above was the wrong thing to do, this direction make much more sense, likely end up something like this.

Also had time to put this on tonight

Which means I can now keep driving it into the winter season. These softoppers are nice, way better then the rampage top JBG has. There are some wrinkles in it but I will play with the tension more later after it has time to stretch out.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #247 (Edited)
Thanks on the top, I am very happy with it. Maybe not apples to apples but I much prefer the clear windows on this to the tinted ones I had as well. Can actually see out of this one in the dark. The other top was used when I got it though so could have been clouded over or something.

Also got a few other things from JBG, like full set of Spicer Balljoints, a spanner socket to set the dana 44 balljoints, and also a set of yukon Setup bearings for the front when I get to it, should make it a bit easier.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Speedstrap came in for spare, its nice, I would buy another without much thought. Supposed to fit up to a 38, so maybe it'll go around one of my paddles if need be.
This is more or less the final direction I am heading

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Just holes in the floor for eye-let bolts. I made extra thick fender washers with a hole saw for them., For now. Eventually would like to move them to cage mounted eyelets. I feel fine for now though.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #251 (Edited)
Fixed the stripe tonight, which involved taking the top off the front. I much prefer the snaps on the soft topper over the plastic edge in rail of the rampage. Way easier. I do think the plastic edge in a rail approach does look slightly better/cleaner

also redid all the flex hoses on the Excursion with braided stainless and hack super duty brake pads. They work much better now.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
78 will be at Circle S Monday getting the extra tubes added for what will hopefully be the last revision of the cage. Plans are the X brace in top rear section. Lower cross tube right behind seats. Rear Tube that ties bars togethor right over where rear spare is. Rear tube that will extend to tailgate threshold, tie into body mount there. Braces from there to tail gate corners, planning on taking gate off eventually.
I was able to get both my race cans in the back, so I am likely to remove the jerry can style mounts off the rear bumper, will maybe mount something like a bigger light bar back there, not sure yet.... Or do up a new rear bumper that is a little lighter in wieght. Its overkill for what I use that Bronco for 90% of the time, the front one is as well. Been thinking about a super litewieght "Dune only" set.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #253 (Edited)
Loaded up and ready to go

Also getting the edge fixed on snowblower and a step added to the 92's rear bumper.
I ordered a set of PRP seat brackets and sliders as well. Waiting on the seats until cage is 100% as so I can measure the space out. Will likely end up with the +2" taller version. Reason why I got brackets coming as so I can measure off those, and see what it will take to mount them up.
Also truck has been sitting outside in the weather. I know the rampage top I made fit this truck, but the softtopper appears to be much more weather resistent.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Things always change a bit once tubing starts going in but here is teaser.

Would I change things if I started over with 100% new cage, yes, but I think this will end up working good too.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Thanks... Kind of Lot of tube there, Some of them are not doing much now but that is ok. Finally getting close to being able to drive it how I want to at the dunes, cage was just one of the last parts. I may run 2 backwards seats in the back too, instead of the tool box. I think anyone will be good back there now.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
All welded up. I will be sure to add more pics once Bronco is back at home, next week.

Really liking how this turned out. Will need things like eyelets added here & there before paint.

·
Ford Hoarder
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Thanks
Circle S Industires in Martinsville Indiana should get all the credit for those additions, He does good work and is very fair on pricing for this kind of custom stuff. I only gave them a couple of pics and Paint drawings of what I wanted.
I am planning on making some good progress on the rest of this in the next few months.

241 - 260 of 274 Posts