Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

421 - 440 of 476 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I do not think these valve covers would have fit with a vacuum booster.
I agree i don't think it would be fun using those covers with a big ole booster. Maybe with a body lift.

Mine i actually moved the booster over outboard plus lowered the engine down about a inch and a half and with the trickflow cast covers the back nut (i use studs/nuts) is an adventure.

That's lookin really good. That pulley setup is killer

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
Thanks. Its a March setup. I think it'll work good. Run similar on the 92 with zero issues.

Got rest of my parts ordered so I can at least get the small stuff done and put the headers back on. Will need few things here n there to finish the exhaust.
Gonna try and put this guy in there

Huge 60 series race flowmaster in 4" flavor.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #424
Are you going to run 4" pipe front to back then?
Correct. The Y-pipe I showed earlier in the thread, with the heat wrap and insulation on it, is 3" off the headers going into a 4" collector with a 4" v-band. Plan is to follow that with 4" all the way out. Huge muffler is basically due to noise requirements at Silver Lake sand dunes. I also have 4" single on my 92 Bronco and 96 f250 and like the deep sound.
Though we will see if I can stand it not to hear it run... I have the old 3" setup sitting around that will bolt right up and would at least get engine broke in, though I feel a bit small for it at high rpm. I ran same y-pipe before with it reduced back to 3" after the y-pipe.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have 2 different exhausts for that reason. Dune exhaust is way too quiet on the road. All i can hear is rockers.

Necessary evil for the dunes though.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
Hey Brandon and Norm are you going to the takeover this year at Silver Lake? I know you said you may not go Brandon.
I know I am not doing takeover this year or make it to the dunes at all. Need to dial in new engine and work threw all the little things that always seem to come up. If I make it up it will be late in the year, maybe Sept/Oct.

The 2 exhaust makes sense, I was planning on doing the tailpipe in such a way as to be able to add a 2nd muffler or like it was setup with a supertrapp at the end (I know they limit the flow a bit). I like that they are literally stamped with US forestry approved on them though. My old setup I had the last section of tailpipe setup so I could swap it between a straight out or supertrapp tip with just 1 clamp.

I am happy to have been around in the "golden area" of Silver Lake, with open header big blocks and home made stuff everywhere, no SXS or herds of rentals, etc. Still fun though and everything changes...

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,394 Posts
I know I am not doing takeover this year or make it to the dunes at all. Need to dial in new engine and work threw all the little things that always seem to come up. If I make it up it will be late in the year, maybe Sept/Oct.
I hear ya - I'm going to try and make it and bring the wife and kids this time. Looks like you are making some good headway with your projects though!

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
SL is great family place. We went as family from when I was 1-12.

Getting down to the stuff that matters, but doesn't look like you did anything. Got the headers on today and the y-pipe still fits as intended. Was happy didn't have to change anything since I switched motor mounts, I thought it may shift it a little. Used Remflex gaskets for this again as they worked great for me before.

Also got most of the grounds re-done and installed, power steering and hydroboost lines now hooked up. Though the belt is staying off. Not going to try and bleed the pump and break in the cam at the same time. Also hooked up the alternator charge cable.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
Starting on the exhaust tomorrow.
Got all the dizzy stabbed in today and the plug wires ran. Vacuum lines all done. Heater Hose lines ran. All these are silicon now.

Also bolted the front section of the core support back in. Worked great.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,836 Posts
Looks good.

Where did you get those clamps that hold the heater hoses together/separated? Think I might need something like that.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
Looks good.
Where did you get those clamps that hold the heater hoses together/separated? Think I might need something like that.
Thanks. Most of those are actually just made from 2 larger Zip-Ties. One that goes around both, and one that is wrapped around the middle to keep them separated. I like the zip tie look over the actual separators on this truck (more this trucks feel as its kind of a rat rod to me). However there is 1 aluminum one, the first one closest to the water pump. I did this here as likely make a bracket to hold it eventually. That one is one of these Russell AN Hose Separators 654333
That fits these silicon hoses perfectly. However the normal rubber 5/8" hoses are a bit small, I just put 2 layers of shrink tube in place where I want them to make up difference, or few wraps of electrical tape (looks almost as good if you take your time and do it nice). There are smaller separators on the hydro-boost lines as well. On those I used an extra long bolt and added a nut to hold them to the inner fender.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,836 Posts
I guess it would help if I opened the pics larger from the get go. I can see that they are zip ties now. I still like the idea of keeping them from rubbing each other or other things in the engine bay even if it's something simple like some zip ties.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
Same thing works great for plug wires too. I like cheap effective stuff. I'm all about "value". Not buying 50$ worth of seperators when zipties work too, just as good

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
Busy day today. Exhaust is done minus one last hanger and a tip of some kind, it'll for sure work as it sits for engine break in.
I was able to fit this big thing in there. It is actually up higher then my previous magnaflow
Mounted muffler maybe a little un-conventionally. This is a stainless muffler so I am sure it'll last awhile. following pics are in progress maybe missing some welds

over the axle, v-band joints as so I can change it up if need be later, and easier to take apart. Rear of muffler is supported just like the front

Made a bit more room on the floor, which on my rusty truck just meant taking a cutoff wheel & hammer to this brace and flattening it out, lol.

What it all looks like out of the truck Notice the last v-band right after the axle. I had this sport on my last setup. It will let me remove the tailpipe if I feel its gonna get smashed. Worked great before, though I never hit it on anything. It also makes taking the tank off easier as can be removed right there.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Brandon
How do you like the hydra boost, like the work, did you consider a roller for the 460 over flat tappet lifters. I see you are still using the factory cross member for the trans. Are you running pusher or puller cooling fans. I see the summit distributor and box is it made by mid or someone else ?.
Great job

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
-Love the Hydroboost, After having this setup I would not do anything else to one of these trucks. Also You can see in the engine pics, gave me a bunch of needed clearance. The breaks were not bad on mine before, but they are much better with the HB setup.
-Have a derale fan setup with puller fans. They are spals. It works great and I am happy with it, but I run in sand a lot too. I do not think anything wrong with a good stock fan and shroud combo either. If you go e-fan spend some money for good stuff. Especially the controller for them.
-Summit Ignition I heard was mallory, but I am not 100% sure. I do not think its MSD (I'd of not bought it If I found that out).
-Roller cam for my setup was just an added expense that I didn't feel was needed. The 460 doesn't get the typical gains from going to a roller either, at least not from the research I have done on them. Something to do with the angle and such of the valvetrain on the 429/460 as you shorten the pushrod for the roller lifter also adversely effects the push rod angle. It was out of my budget so I didn't look much into it. Only running a .543/.569 lift cam, In this 429 based build.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
447 Posts
good progress, its coming along.
Like the V-Bands in the exhaust, will make it flexible to mount different configurations without any rusted together pipes.

Zipties are always good :)

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #440
Thanks,
Work spoiled me on using v-bands almost everywhere and I try to use them when I can now on my stuff at home. Especially on stuff I know will be likely to take apart or change later. Little bit of anti-zieze when going togethor and I have not had an issue with them coming apart. I feel the upfront cost is worth it, don't buy cheap amazon/ebay ones though.

421 - 440 of 476 Posts