Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

461 - 476 of 476 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
For now I am done messing with that quickfuel. I am sure it can be fixed, it will jut be awhile before I try to mess with it again.
The demon is of a different design, that is why it looks as it does (small). Its not really all the much smaller airflow wise, They actually make a 750 version of that same one that I am looking at now. I also know where a few Predators are so one of those may end up on it eventually, super old school...

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have had nothing but problems with my quick fuel 650 cam. I don't like the 4 corner idle screws, and other little things that make tuning more difficult.
Now my 400 has bad rings from all the extra fuel the carb was dumping into the motor. It starts, runs and drives so when i get home I drain the air/oil separator for the next drive, around town 3-8 miles I drain off 2 ounces of oil which is dark so i know it's coming up pass the rings thru the valve's and into the valve covers and pcv.
If i had the money I call Foose and say rebuilt this monster with a modern motor and drive line. But like most people today no money, as actor no work. Such is life.
Great job Brandon on the Bronco.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,036 Posts
Side track point of query or interest: When I used my '73 F250 to plow the back field, going back and forth across the rows, my truck bouncing around like a kid in a bouncy castle, I actually bent the floats down and it caused my truck to die from fuel starvation on low grade inclines. I had no idea WTF, until I pulled and rebuilt the Edelbrock.

So... being a dune cruiser, are you bouncing around enough for this to be a concern with any old school carb you run?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #464 (Edited)
I have bent a set of floats before yes. Some carbs better about it then others as far as bouncing around off road. Steady fuel pressure helps.
The ultimate solution is a Holley Sniper or like, which will be on here eventually but not until few other things are done.

So here it is @ idle. Will get better one out of garage soon-ish. Gotta bleed power steering and bunch of other minor things now.
Much better I uploaded it to youtube

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sounds pretty good! At least in the vid i think it would be quiet enough to get in.

Spring loaded needle and seats and cut "road race" floats and holleys work fine on the dunes. Mine is a 1300 dominator and no issues, will even idle stopped on the hill.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
Thanks guys. Been long time coming for this thing to get some real power.

Norm I agree its close on dB that's in garage too so likely to be little better once outside. I will still likely come up with a 2nd muffler/silencer to go on at the back. I have the bigger supertrapp end that I had on my last one still, with 2 or 3 packs of discs on it. Have been looking at a high flow Cat to do tha same as well. Need to do something extra, as its too far of a drive for me to chance not getting in for that rule.
I have a spot picked out for an electric cut-out too (extra back up plan for when it needs it, lol)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Alot of my buddies use those huge big block flowmasters and roll right in, don't even get checked.

I have 4 dynomax's and get checked almost every time but it's legal so i get in.

At least in the vid i think you'd have no problems but i would do the same as you plan, too far to drive and way too much work invested to not get in.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #469
That likely weighs a lot too with 4 of the dynomax's, but likely doesn't mess up the flow much. Impressed they all fit under it.

Made my mind up. Have a 750 Street Demon on the way, with the poly bowl. Hopefully it'll work just as good as the 625 has for me for the past 5/7 years.
As such I re-did the fuel line to make it neater, and have a functioning pressure gauge on it again. Also have all the silicon vacuum lines ran now. They where kind of scattered about before.

Also notice the belt is back on the PS pump. I re-bled that tonight. I must of been able to keep the lines up high enough to keep all the fluid in the box. Literally just had to fill up the pump, didn't get any air (foam) in it. This is a tuffstuff Sag pump I got from summit. Its the quietest one I have ever had on this truck. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was this time around, usually this truck is a PITA.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,836 Posts
Man, I know you guys have larger pipes than I do (2.5” dual into 3” single), but I’d imagine those mufflers you have would make things silent.

I only have a single 3” magnaflow with an 18” case and I think it’s pretty quiet.

How do they test your dB, at idle? Specific rpm?

·
Registered
263 Posts
It doesn't quiet it down completely but way quieter than the street exhaust. It's all 3.5"

The DNR uses a decibel meter 18" <i believe, from exhaust exit and we have to rev to 2500. They let 97dbs in even though thats above the state law.

Engine noise on a cummins is actually over the state exhaust db limit :)

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
It is supposed to be 18" and 90 degree's. However the DNR likes to employee younger people who may not have experience, so its hard telling how they will measure it. Example I have had my Banshee checked 2 times in 10 minutes, 1 time it passed, other time they said it was 1 dB over.
For the RPM it is suppose to be half the rated RPM of the engine. They have a book they can look this up in, or they can go by the above @ 2500 rpm. I have been asked both. I also know people whome have a self healing non-functioning tach that never works at the check station, hmmmm....
Its somewhat of a sore subject at the dunes but the way it is now.

Didn't get anything done on 78 lately. Waiting on the carb to show up and also went to the track (Lucas Oil Raceway) last night with the car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The regular 700-750 double pumpers are real good carbs and would work great on that if the new one doesn't show up.

I usually buy a used one for $100 ish and throw a kit in and go. They are a very simple carb to work on.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #476
will keep eyes open for one. I do think that is a good suggestion for a go-between for now.
My intent was to run it a year with carb, and then go to a fuel cell with a surge tank (Radium) and also go to a Sniper Style setup at the same time. In this time I can figure out if the BBF is still what I want in the truck too.
Having 2 big block trucks, not super worried about the extra parts I'd have as can move them to the other one where its less critical (2wd f-250).

461 - 476 of 476 Posts