Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

541 - 560 of 578 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #542
You are right it would be double up on vent with the stock correct cap. If just street drove it, wouldn't of done the vent on the retrofit kit.
May start on the electrical side tomorrow

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
672 Posts
Looks dope to me.
I really like fresh parts and new technology.... great stuff !!!

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #544
Agree, there are sveral good options for doing this available today too.
Line and the fittings to finish from tank to engine on the way.
Going to try and have this going by next weekend. No timing control from the sniper for now. So will simplify things a bit. I think hardest part will be picking a place to mount the display on the inside of the truck.
My Ranger should be done getting few tweaks on the cage on it, today too.

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #545
Mostly done with the electrical connections now.

Ended up that the Holley harness has a Fuel Pump relay built in. I don't think the wires are really heavy enough though. So I have the Holley fuel pump + wire triggering the relay in the Aeromotive fuel pump harness I also installed today. Little over-kill / redundant but I don't think will hurt anything like this either. Also hooked up most of the vacuum connections leaving only the distributor one off as might start it without first.

So far the Sniper Kit is fairly easy to install, nothing here that someone that can wire a typical trailer with brakes can't handle. Much easier then the MAF swap harness I did on the 92 Bronco.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Well you have me rethinking my efi system. I had dismissed the Sniper systems in the past for two reasons. One is low on CFM flow (800) for 545 CI and two it is borderline on the 650 fuel injectors and too much on the 1250 injectors. I went digging on the Holley site and found they now offer Sniper XFlow with 900 cfm and 4x 125 pound injectors and is rated at 800 HP.

This hits the sweet spot. Covers the HP and air flow requirements with a little head room if I decide I want to be sneaky with a little spray later. It has the extra I/O like the Sniper Super. I think I will run it with the Dual Sync Distributor and an MSD 6 offroad box. Need to find out if I can do PWM on the spare outputs of the 8 Pin connector to run my electric cooling fans. Not doing the carb to EFI step for break-in. I am running solid roller lifters on a hydraulic roller cam so no break-in required.

Did run into a little problem going over the wiring on the Sniper. It requires at least 2.5 seconds after ignition power up before cranking. This allows the system to boot up. My pushbutton start system does not offer any delay between between ignition on and cranking signal. One push turns on the accessories and second push turns on the ignition and cranking signal. They are separate signals but come on at same time. Solution is to run a switch on the brake pedal in series with the crank signal. This allows me to turn on the ignition and control when the engine cranks with use of the brake pedal. I will have to hold the button as crank signal goes away with release of the button.

Word of note mostly for those reading this thread. Our local mud and dirt tracks do not allow any fuel components mounted to the firewall. Reason being in case of failure of flexplate, flywheel, torque converter, or clutch. All fuel components must be mounted forward of engine bellhousing mounting surface.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #547
That's a good note on the firewall, makes sense. I have stubs coming off mine with unions. Will be easy to move later, if need be. Likely do a little bracket off engine like the other bronco.
I had no intention of going this route, if that QFT carb would of been what it was supposed to be, and not leaked everywhere, this would still have carb.
The xflow is nice piece, likely be my next move of build another BBF for this. Is a reason ran 10ga fuel pump harness, will be able to run any pump setup I want in future. Return style anyway

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,239 Posts
Is that 2.5 seconds documented somewhere? I know I just have the regular Sniper, but I'm able to just turn the key all the way to crank without letting it sit on run and letting the LCD boot up. I do usually wait before cranking, but that's because I'm a nerd and like to see the display light up and check everything out before I start it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Is that 2.5 seconds documented somewhere? I know I just have the regular Sniper, but I'm able to just turn the key all the way to crank without letting it sit on run and letting the LCD boot up. I do usually wait before cranking, but that's because I'm a nerd and like to see the display light up and check everything out before I start it.
It in the section labeled "Sensor Verification". Page 40 of the manual and page 14 of the Quick Start Guide. It is the gray box. It is related to the fuel prime cycle that happens every time the ignition is turned on. If it sees an rpm signal before the prime cycle finishes it cuts short the prime cycle. Which causes longer crank times.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #550
I don't care that it is here. We should start a sniper thread and copy this info to there. So is easier to find. It's all good stuff

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #551
Got the tank installed today, all the lines ran, fuel pump power to the back, wide installed, and also moved my original one as so I can compare placement.

Gotta figure out where I want to put the roll over valve.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #552
finished up under the hood today. All I have left is installing the handheld somewhere and also the roll over check valve still.

Skid plate made draining the coolant off to install the coolant sensor easy, wish I could say I planned it this well, but its more like a happy accident

Ended up running the programmable outlet for the super sniper to the fans as a turn on. I also had a radiator probe left over from original install of my e-fans. So I now have the Sniper able to turn it on, I don' trust it 100% so the radiator probe can also turn them on, and lastly I have a manual on switch in the cab too.
I ended up hooking up the vacuum advance on the dist.. Might as well see how it acts with the full setup.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Careful about applying power to the output either via the probe or the switch. It can cause a back feed and the Sniper to believe the ignition switch is on. It's good to have have backups but they need diode isolation from each other.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #554 (Edited)
While I agree and they should be isolated. With the Efans, thats fine with me if it gives a "false" ignition on as the fans will only run as such anyways... I do see potential for a run on if leave the manual override on, and turn ignition to off though. The outputs are to the ground side of of what they are switching, is likely why they went that route on the Sniper (it has 2 sets of build in fan relay controllers).
In agreement adding set of diodes to prevent back feed is easy enough thing to do. Have one on my ignition box for same reason. Again info we need to put in a "Sniper Install / Lessons Learned, Stuff To Know" thread.

Worst case in the short term its just a spade connector away from the fan controller not being hooked up to the sniper at all. Another reason I liked have the other 2 options still, though I don't really care for the probe style for temp on the rad.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #556
Also have a kill switch on mine for the ignition, in run. The switched 12v for the sniper runs threw this, as well. So there is that too... Had to have this as I cannot reach the dash if fully in my 5 point harness, my finger tips hit the key but thats it. Kind of funny actually.
Been messing around with the handheld, have a good idea what I am gonna do there now.

Reactions: simrokkzz

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #557
More progress tonight. Filled the tank with some fuel. Jumpered the fuel pump.
Set the regulator and checked for leaks. Had to tight 2 fittings slightly but no big deal. The Holley regulator seems to work pretty good, however I feel the Aeromotive one is nicer, the adjustment seems more linear/smooth.

Was happy to see the sending unit start reading near right with 7 gallons in it too. Means should have just a little left when it reads "E", which is good being that the pump is in the tank and also be in offroad situations with the big brick of a Bronco tank

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #558
Ordered a mount for the Sniper hand held. Will post up some info once I recieve it.
That is really the last thing left before firing this up and seeing how much I am going to have to tune on it to get it where I want it. I already expect to have to over-ride the idle strategy a bit and possibly force it to be in open loop due to my sepcific engine combo, but I am going to try it first with jsut the auto-learn stuff in place. I am happy to have these options in place though should they be needed
Likely try to fire it up before the end of the week

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #559
Everything working 100% as intended, This Sniper EFI is pretty sweet.
Will need to adjust the idle a bit but its not bad considering still in learn mode.
The E-Fan trigger worked flawlessly, even with my other 2 inputs to it. No issues with run-on or anything. Wide band works great, and agrees with the 2nd one I have installed later down stream. I will likely move the Sniper one there, then put the other one off the collector.

super crappy video, but this is from the first start and first time its at operating temps.
The suction noise is normal, and is barely noticeable with the air filter on. I like it, though Im used to hearing it and whiney noises from the blower on the mustang.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
FANTASTIC! Glad it fired up for you with no problems. That little tweet whistle is a common issue. Like you said not a problem. There is a cure for it.

541 - 560 of 578 Posts