Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
921 - 940 of 983 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #921 ·
16 or 17 quarts later The 78 is moving and stuff again. I know that seems like a lot of fluid, but have several coolers on this rig and all #8 plumbing.

No leaks out of the PML pan yet, I did use the good Moroso Gasket with a super light skim coat of 90 min Right Stuff.
Gotta go street test it a bit now and then take this thing somewhere to finally see what the new 429 can really do.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #923 ·
vid please. ;)
Ill try but, as you likely know, is hard when one man show...
I can assure you the other side was the same (spool, lol)

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,379 Posts
Been there brother... time and time again. 🍻
Us "Lone Wolves" would stick together but it's kinda counter-productive to the whole "Lone" deal. ;)

·
Premium Member
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,543 Posts
When I try to do it solo I stick my phone in/on something and set it on the ground or on a ledge depending where I am.

The last thing I used was a box that I was able to slide my phone down the inside edge of the top flap and I put something heavy in it to keep it from tipping over.

I've also used the bag for my Smittybilt air compressor that I keep in my Bronco. Whatever works.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #926 ·
Yeah I just dont care enough most the time to take those extra minutes to do it, lol....
Especially now, almost a year after loosing my other half... Rather enjoy the moment(s) then make sure I can post them on IG or the like later. (sometimes its easy to grab few photos are what not though)

Reactions: Doosenberry

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #927 ·
Real wheels and tires back on.
So far so good on the trans. I actually like the Manual VB. More then I thought I would. crappy pic lol

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #928 ·
I also put Trick Shift in it this time, will see how it does.
It was less expensive then getting normal Type F from any local store

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #930 ·
I just use hydraulic fluid-TSC hyguard equivalent.

Manual valve bodies are fun, reverse manual took a little getting used to but it's great now.
Next time that is what I will get.. I actually could not find that local right now either. Its crazy... At least not in the 5 gallon bucket like I would like to get if I went that route. There is also no Rottela 15-40 to be had in this area either.

Do you add any Type F to it just for some color??

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #932 ·
Good info on the hyd fluid for the C6.
Still engaging like it should, so looking like may have found the issue.

I ended up making a shift knob reloation bracket last night as my shifter isn't really in the right spot. Looks ok, works good now. Really need to get a cable shifter for the 205 so I can put the Winters shifter where it needs to be. its been on the todo list for a long time

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #933 ·
I just use hydraulic fluid-TSC hyguard equivalent.

Manual valve bodies are fun, reverse manual took a little getting used to but it's great now.
Did you notice any real differance in the stall of your convertor after switching to Hy-Guard(ish) fluid? I know few drag only folks that said it can lower it a couple 100 rpm. I know you run yours on the sand a lot, so its possible the drag from sand is enough that doesn't really change it... Or its more noticable, if it does it all, on street. Granted these guys are all in cars that way less then half what a typical FSB does too.

In other light I have yet to have the 78 act like it doesn't want to go in gear again after swapping the valve body. Currently in process of making new knob setup so it makes it in a better spot for me. Long needed. But finally getting there. I really need to do a new center console setup with a calbe shift for the tcase too, and move it so I can put shifter where it needs to be

·
Registered
432 Posts
If i recall correctly i started using it in conjunction with a new converter so i don't have any background with just a fluid change but have heard the same thing that it can change stall going from the low viscosity to the high can tighten the converter up some and vice versa.

The tractor stuff has a higher flash point so i thought it would be a good idea with a trans brake. Mine i would have to sit on the brake for 20-30 seconds to get trans up to 190 ish so i have no heat issues and could use just type F but see no reason to change. Plus i can go pick this stuff up anytime and type F needs to be ordered around here. I see no drawbacks to this stuff.

I run mine on the road every chance i get so it's not a dune only rig. I couldn't have something that could only be ran in the dunes, that is no fun to me.

I have friends that have dune only stuff but i can't do that.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #935 ·
Thanks @norm for all the info. It is helpful. Especially as I know you actually use your stuff, likely maybe even harder then I do, so I know its not BS.

SAND TRACTORS.....

.... I should get a new shifter knob tonight, and I succesfully took my winters shifter apart and bend the shift lever last night. Its super close to just right now. I would of needed to do this, even moving the shifter around so no big deal.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mine is to have fun with so i beat the crap out of it and run it pretty hard, i never don't do something because i'm afraid of breaking it.Screw that- if it breaks i fix it.

I've broken every part in it except the t-case so far.

Now jumping on the other hand- nope. It's not built correctly to handle that.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #937 ·
Good friend always said to never make them so nice you wont use it, and that is what I try to do with my own stuff too...
Be sweet to catch up to you sometime out in the dunes, assuming mine makes it back up there in 2022.
Shooting to have something ready for opening day.

Jumping stuff does take lot different approach, and its still hard on stuff, even on a rig built for it; Random stuff fails that you might not think about. Such as, I broke the oil dipstick tube off the ranger the last time it was in the dunes.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #938 ·
New shifter knob in place, with an additonal bend in the winters shifter arm. Really like how this turned out. The extra height of the Hurst grip is just right. I also like the bit of old school flare it gives it too. I also lowered the front of my console a little and re-wired the stuff on the inside of it which there is quite a bit.

Park is a little weird, but I didn't build the truck to sit in park so no big deal. 1-3 is perfect now and that was my goal.

Truck has sat for 3 days and still moved last night, not letting it warm up any (on purpose) So that is good that it appears all my issue where in the valve body.

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #940 · (Edited)
Did you have to heat the rod to bend it or is it fairly soft?
Press brake made quick work of it. Have to take all the way apart to do this but that's ok. I did not heat it up.

Added some muffler heat shield tonight and drove it a little. Shifter is great, it will be staying this way for awhile

921 - 940 of 983 Posts