Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
941 - 960 of 983 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #942 ·
Started collecting parts for a new center console.
Have a switch panel coming and a few other small things.
Still debating if I want to go twin stick of not on the '78. Though I could see using Rwd Lo Not sure I have use for Fwd Lo only.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
9,052 Posts
Still debating if I want to go twin stick of not on the '78. Though I could see using Rwd Lo Not sure I have use for Fwd Lo only.
I use rear low on my 90 quite a bit. My driveway at home is steep & paved. The pavement makes 4 low a bad choice. Both the street & the opening to the driveway are narrow. When getting the trailer into the driveway the short wheelbase & tight turning radius of the Bronco make it perfect for steering the trailer in. Then the low gears make for lots of torque for backing the heavy trailer up the hill. I toasted the trans on a 2wd f-250 doing that job years ago.

I don't have a twin stick on my 90. I put it in 4 low & leave the front hubs unlocked to get 2 low. I have heard the front low alone can accomplish some tight turns on the trail, but have no personal experience there yet. Both the 73 & 79 will have twin sticks when they're done, so hopefully I'll get to try it out.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #944 ·
Twin stick setup on the way.
Phone mounts
Switch Panel
Few other small things
Took the door off last night to make it easier to work in the truck to build new console.

Reactions: El Kabong

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
9,052 Posts
Twin stick setup on the way.
Cool. Which one did you get?

Thinking about it, I've seen a twin stick used for front digs. I think the guy set the parking brake & spun the front tires to dig holes for them to help hold when winching out a stuck truck.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #946 ·
@El Kabong JB Custom Fab Flush Mount Buggy style.
Correct I have been in a truck doing this with a front dig to get around a corner... I do not use my 78 like that, but might be fun do to Fwd burnouts next to a Honda sometime. I do see some benefit in running Rwd LO range though. Been times where this would be fun in the Sand Dunes.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #948 ·
I've thought about doing a twin stick do be able to drive in the dunes in front wheel drive to save wear and tear on the paddles.

Just haven't ever gotten around to it yet.
You mean like put some tiny rollers on the back? Or I seen a jeep with a hitch hauler built, that picked the rear end off the ground.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Been awhile Brandon. So I built a new semi shroud so to speak for the bronco. I run twin fans and even that the temps would between 200-220 spring and summer.
So I removed the shroud bought 2"x36" 1/8 thick aluminum flat stock. Drilled them to bolt to the radiator holes. Also put a bolt in the middle. Mounted the fans which add strength. Air flow increase is amazing. NO ac but i run oil coolers for the motor, trans, ps. Been driving around here with slow speed and high speed temp never gets above 190

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
You mean like put some tiny rollers on the back? Or I seen a jeep with a hitch hauler built, that picked the rear end off the ground.
I think if the rear tires aren't powered they will not wear on the paddles on turns and taking off from a stop and turning.

Like when with regular tires and tight turns from a stop and the tires chirp a little bit. Don't like the idea of chirping $800 a piece paddles, tearing them up.

I really carefully take off now but can see some damage to the paddle.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #951 ·
@norm makes some sense, especially with a higher then average stall convertor.
I usually get up there and air down and leave em. Everytime I go around the round a bout by the silver point I leave some tire behind, oh well (spool)

@outlawbob Looks like decent setup but I never had any luck with them that way. If its working for you that is good though. My experience was that is only pulled air across where the fans are, but maybe the 2 i used where too small also. I have much better luck with them in the tight fitting shroud.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #952 ·
Got some stuff yesterday.
Hopefully start working on new console tonight.
This is kind of the direction I am heading (not mine its from ranger forum)

Where im at now

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
With teh shroud it was blocking air from flowing thru except at teh fans. Now my radiator is wide open and full air flow, the fans help when i need it which so far I haven't. The test will come tomorrow when I drive to Las Vegas, My home is at 2650 feet, teh top of teh mountain is at 5590 feet and 35 mile from my home. From there down hill to vegas then do do it again from vegas to my home 60 miles way going up from aboyr 2000 feet to 5500 and then across the deseert to my home. Will see. I let you how it works out.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #954 ·
@outlawbob That is likely a key difference. My E-Fan Shroud has flaps in it so air can push threw the shroud when moving fast enough. It doesn't build up pressure in front of the fans this way.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
78 Bronco Custom, 460/ZF5, Sniper upgrade, 3G, dual batt
1,423 Posts
@outlawbob I have my e-fans set up like yours. I had one of those enclosures with small vents in it, but it tended to run close to 200-205. I swapped back to the open setup and was much cooler.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #956 · (Edited)
Is weird I never got the fans mounted directly on radiator to work correctly on mine. I suppose maybe they were too small. I am glad you guys got it sorted out on yours. Seems several ways to do it, as long as move enough air.
DO either of you have heat extraction on your hoods? I have louvers in mine, curious if that helps keep the pressure from building up on a e-fan / shroud combo. I havent ran mine without them.

Old console out, started laying out the new setup.
Think I have a pretty good idea of where Im going with it. Will get back to working on it Sunday.
Not gonna be fancy, but doesnt need to be either
Super crude of the basic idea. Keep in mind this is just to get a feel. Im really gonna only be able to go so far until my twin stick shows up. Yes that is the old console flipped backwards, LOL. new one will be longer to go back to rear edge of seats.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
So yesterday I drove the bronco down to las vegas. On the way from my house 2650 feet to teh top of the mountain 5490 feet and 32 miles temps water 190, oil 160, trans 150. On teh way home outside temp 80 degrees, after driving on the freeway and then street with traffic, water got up to 205, oil 180, trans 180. Once i got out of traffic heading home back up from las vegas at 2460 feet to the top of the mountain 35 mile away, water droped to 175 oil 150, trans 150. Once at teh top and down hill 32 miles to my house water stayed at 185, oil 150 trans 150. This proves to me sum shrouds created more heat than they do cooling. I think that is why the original ford shroud was tapered down to increase air flow with a clutch fan pull the air at low speed.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #958 ·
@outlawbob Sounds like it is working for you, which is all that matters.
Agree on the stock setup. Agree on some shrouds too, always tradeoffs in everything. I also believe the 78/79 Front end "brickness" creates some unusal air movements, that maybe other things do not have. Especially comparted to modern stuff which uses e-fans almost exclusively. Some of the 78/79 core support can be removed as it does cover up some of the radiator core (very small amount in the corners and sides).
ALSO the duty cycle of each truck is gonna be different too. Just as you seemingly drive yours on the highway in vegas. Mine is likely never at 65+ mph for more then 10 minutes striaght, should I take it to work or something. I simply use mine different. The low speed cooling is CRITCAL in my application, maybe not so much yours.
Not aimed at you specifically just rambling about fans and shrouds...

I got more goodies this AM for my console build should start on that once get home.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #959 ·
Basic shape is done. Needs cross bars added for some more support. Likely do some Panels on the sides out of ABS sheet I have used else where with good luck.
Nothing fancy by any means. Ammo can will be centered between the console and the roll cage bar. So you can open the lid.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #960 ·
So you can really start to see how its gonna look now.
I got my tcase shifter today, JB Fab makes excellent stuff. Really happy went with the flush mount buggy one.
Its not finished by any means, but the shifters are all in and located where they are gonna be. So I can start on adding the other items I wanted to now and also mount the tabs to make it bolted to the roll cage seat bars.

941 - 960 of 983 Posts