Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

CrazyBRONCOguy's '78 project

317K views 1K replies 50 participants last post by  CrazyBRONCOguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Picture

EDIT: There is a huge gap in time between this post and the next. I lost several photos and will likely not put them back. But that is ok, its like a TV show this way, where all the sudden its done ( well they are never done but further )
The truck went from being a cheap $1200 project to having a ton more in it then that (dont they all). Been working on it solidly since 2012 now. Hopefully you can bear with me on the hug gap in the dates on this thread.

Warning This build thread may also contain pics of other random Ford stuff as well as progress being made on a 1992 Bronco.

See less See more
#667 ·
Yeah I agree the pick would of been the right move, LOL. I thought I was ok when I drilled them out.
oh well I think this will be fine too. Far from ideal, kind of a trail repair if you will. (Not that you were picking on it).
I did put rtv in corners on the old one too. And it was together for at least a year before I put oil in it, so plenty of cure time, maybe too much.
If it leaks now its gonna be really fun to fix... I know this

#669 · (Edited)
Makes me want to start making ones with oring groove. Done...

I let mine drip overnight, seems to of got most of it out. At least near edge.

#671 ·
Brandon, been a bit just checking in on how you are doing. Glad to see you working on the trucks. This should make you smile, I got all the hydraboost in, gravity bled the rear brakes after making a new brake line and no pedal. Turns out i forgot to put the spacer in the mc. I had my already on the truck and it is the corvette style. So as i am bleeding the brakes I notice the front brake resevoir is going down as i bleed the rear brakes, i guess i got a bad mc. So know i will install the one that came with the kit. Also learned that they make a kit with same mounting bracket for a ford booster and ford mc. Anyway headed out to jack up the truck to change the mc and bleed the brakes. Have a great time on the dunes.

#672 ·
I wish dunes open... Just got it out for the girlfriends celebration of life.

Ranger crank is balanced. Internal. Also had the rods resized as they where a bit tight on the wrist pin end.

Also had a good friend cut me these for the above. Look great.

#675 ·
We always fly that flag when in the dunes, so I figured I put everything like it would have been. The flag you cannot see is her's, It has the same Got Sand logo as in that plate above.

Didn't end up taking Bronco to cemetery due to the rain and it being spool'd in the rear and I did not want to teat up the place. But was glad I had it there... No more oil leak.

#677 ·
I think the 429 that is in it now, with the sniper system and c6, around 10mpg. Likely could of gotten 10-12 out of the old combo with the sniper, but never ran it like that. It was milder combo. My 78 has no odometer so very hard to track. It instead has a hourmeter. SO these are guesses.

With a modern 6r80 and the rest of the truck geared to use that combo. I would not think 12-14 would be out of the question. If drove reasonably, even as it sits lifted with 35's. My '96 2wd F-250 with the EFI 460 has gotten 16 in the past, with the e4od. Likely sacrifice some gear ratio for offroad to get it though.

#678 ·
Problems with hydraboost. So there brake fluid on the frame under the mc, the bottom of the mc is wet, pulled it off and the inside front of the hydraboost in front of the seal is wet. Called WH their sending me a new MC but could the hydraboost unit be bad also. The rear inside of the MC is dry, the fluid is pouring out onto the frame but i can't see where. Any suggestions.
Thanks.

#679 ·
Only fluid the HB unit could leak is power steering fluid. So if it's brake fluid almost has to be the master. Kind of sounds like either bad seal on master, and the adjustment is too much. So it's slightly applied, which makes it come out all the time.
If it's actually PS fluid I'd run it without master on to see

#681 ·
Have all the parts to start on the 302 Long Block now.
Still getting a few small things sorted out on the 78 too. Gotta get a part sent out to get tig welded, its aluminum, and I want it to look good, so I am not gonna do it.

#682 ·
replaced the battery in my 92. Was a good Diehard platinum (odyessy) yeah 2013

Been getting these X2 batteries from batteries plus, they have best warranty I can find and also they are what I feel is a good value. These are a combo starting/deep cycle.

Also ordered 2 more but in 34/78 size, 1 for the 78 and 1 for the ranger.
Sucks cannot get these good Diehard's any longer (that I could easily find)

#683 ·
Finally got my brakes to work, seems i split a brake line from the mc to the brakes, check everything for leaks and couldn't find anything. Made new lines form the mc to the front and rear brakes, bled the shit out them and finally got a pedal. Been driving around to get the air out of the ps and all seems A OK.
Hope every one has a nice christmas and new years.

#684 ·
That is good on the brakes.

Updated my welding cart situation today

This is super nice. It does have some stickers on it now. Lot better then my converted 2 wheel dolly. It made it 9 years though and still worked fine. The drawers give me good spot for the helments and gloves and crap so it free'd up some room on other stuff too.

#687 ·
I think some of drawers not super useful, but Cart itself I think is built well. The bottle part is strong enough to stand on. Not that I tried to ride it around the driveway or anything...
I think it will hold up long term, I would get again.

#688 ·
78 got a new battery too. This Diehard was from 2012, still working just fine. Too bad cannot get them anymore as I'd of bought more.

Replaced it with one of the X2's, if you can't tell I like those.

#693 · (Edited)
Ok enough battery talk in this thread, is a build thread......
Its more or less a which oil is better debate. LOL. Though I think in general the AGM's, like you said, do work better in most Off-road-ish applications.

Got few more toys on the way to go on that cart.

#694 ·
Brandon, which box are you running for the ignition. I have a msd 6a with distributor that i have been using till it quit. Sent it back to msd they couldn't find anything. So i have been using the ford box and distributor which works ok since i am not turning a lot of RPM. But both failed saturday so i had to get new ones. But it is still the ford box with a new distributor from autozone, not a rebuilt one. I remember seeing a box on your ds fender, can you tell me who's make it is and the distributor you are using.
Thanks,

#695 ·
@outlawbob
Summit racing brand, box, coil, and billet distributor (for now, likely move to Holley for sniper timing control) works great. Ran the dizzy and box in old engine for long time

#696 ·
I guess gonna buy all the HF carts??????

This one works excellent by the way, Its only like 1" taller then my trans jack too. I am gonna make a lowering kit for it I think, which will also space the wheels out and make it more stable.

#698 ·
@outlawbob I am not sure, I thought it was mallory. I can say I have that box on 2 other trucks, 1 being my 90% of the time daily driver. No compaints on the box of Distributor from me. I like the adjustment on the vacuum can as you cna limit how much it ads. It is also very easy to change out the mechanical advance stop.

No more cold garage for me

Way overkill for my 20x25 space but I don't plan on being here forever so I get stuff for a bigger space when I can.

I have few things coming to help fill that big empty space on my new Vulcan Cart too.