Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short version of the long story......

Took the Bronco in for State Inspection and the garage called and said my blower motor was bad and the truck won't pass without a working defroster.

Since I was New Mexico for a conference, I told them to go ahead and replace it, I'd be home in a day to pick up the truck.

Got home, went to get the truck and the guy at the counter says that it wasn't the blower motor, but probably the heater resistor. Hmm says I, "What about the blower motor you just put in?" After some talking, I got a new blower motor for $25.00 (no labor) which is cheaper than I can buy one at Advance Auto. (Twenty year old motor replaced... what the heck :thumbup)

The other day, I got around to replacing the resistor and it still didn't work?

Must be the blower switch thinks I? So I pulled the heater panel out and found this plugged to the back....

Sorry for the blurry pic..... but as you can clearly see, the harness end of the plug is burned to a crisp!

Went to the junk yard looking for a donor end for the harness and of the 2 F-150's and 2 Broncos (87-89 range) I pulled apart, 2 of the 4 were also burnt up and one showed excessive heat signs. :scratchhe

I hadn't used the blower in a while, but it started like a lot of other issues folks on FSB have complained about.... low speeds quit first, then eventually it quit altogether.

So... moral of the story, next time you're in there messing around or if you've been having heater problems, it might be worth while pulling the trim off and twisting out the four screws and taking a look at your blower plug harness?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Mine did the same thing. Rather than going out and finding a replacement I just cut it off and put a bunch of female spade terminals on and hooked them on the spades of the switch (after cleaning them up). Works great now.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just replaced my switch too. I did not replace the plug, I just plugged the wire ends into the junkyard switch. works now. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just replaced my plug & switch, hoping the blower would work right, after - but she still only works on high, so stangmata may be right.

The plug looked just like that, too.

I happened to have a spare harness layin' around ... but the motor will soon have to be the first bit cannibalized out of my F1fiddy.

·
Yeah- I did it-SO WHAT !!
512 Posts
Just about any dealer has the plug and with short harness attached,seems like I saw it in the HELP! catalog too-

·
Registered
826 Posts
My '85 Crown Vic had the same problem with plug and switch. Had to replace it every year for the 4 years I owned it, needed replaced when I sold it.
Id guess corrosion prone metal increases resistance and generates excessive heat?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts