Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts
Another thing to consider, once you reach your final destination, it wouldnt be a bad idea to pull the EEC main computer and check it for burnt out capacitors. It happens all the time with these older trucks. They were never designed to last 30+ years and occasionally need replacement. This same thing is a big cause of HARD shifting when the capacitors in the PSOM go bad.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,940 Posts
Just to cover the basics related to your rpm limitations, how is your fuel filter? I've seen partially clogged filters cause issues at higher rpms & under acceleration. Those times that demand more fuel. The other symptom that might point towards a fuel filter is that it seems to recover after a short rest. It almost seems like the crud falls away once the flow is stopped. Only to be sucked back up again after awhile on the road. I suppose a blocked sock in the tank might do the same thing, but the filter is where I've seen it behave that way.

While you're thinking about filters, how is the air filter?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Fuel filter was changed fall if 19 ( I do have a spare w/me so I might just throw that in). Air filter is one of those k/n aftermarket things the PO put on. Doesn't look caked. I'll look at that again though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I hope you figure out the stalling problem above 2500. As for the AC problem throwing the air up to defrost, that is the white vacuum line under the hood which is buried in the harness that the AC fan motor connector comes from. What you do there is peel back the harness till you see good white vacuum line. Then cut it. You can do this at the auto parts store. Then go find a rubber vacuum line that will perfectly fit over the white line. Not sure of the size. Then slip the new rubber line over the good cut end of the white line in the harness. Then run it up to the vacuum motor by the passenger side windshield. Remove the little rubber connector the white line plugs into and the new rubber line should fit snugly over the metal nipple on the vacuum motor. That will usually solve your AC vent register shifting problem. If it does not, then the problem lies in the vacuum reservoir located on the Evaporator box. Its a small one that is molded in. If it is bad, you will have to scavenge a different style of vacuum reservoir from a junk yard, ebay, or parts store and use it.
View attachment 162799
I replaced that line when I first bought her. It's what drove me to swap all the other lines as well. I barely moved it and it crumbled in my hand lol. I'll have to check the reservoir though.

- side note, I had enough of the southern heat this morning and took the risk of running the AC while in town....knock on wood it's been good so far. The vent thing is super random and I notice it mostly when trying to accelerate. (Regardless of AC or heat or just Vent).

Thank you for the ecm tip as well, once I'm safely in AL at training I will poke around with that on the weekend, depending on how much work they try to give me lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs. 94 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/1356/3.50 gears.
358 Posts
The vent issue is due to a bad check valve, the one in my bronco was intermitently acting up.

Good luck with everything else. This page helped me more than ANY of my factory service manuals, and I have all of them for my year.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Made it to AL. I didn't have any issues today, but it was also only 4 hr. ish drive. I did make two stops within the city and she fired up and drove w/out issues both times. Only thing done besides disconnecting and reconnecting things was replacing the EVR solenoid. So I doubt she's fixed. I'll find out in ~26 days when I head to MD.

Miesk5 - followed the TAB/TAD as far as I could. (didn't have another person to help rev while watching DVM. Everything up to that point passed though. (Good vacuum and good resistance values ~80 for each). When I get to MD I'll have the wife give me a hand so I can finish the rest of the check.

I will say though, I'm thinking my problem is the fact I can't go above 2400 RPMs, I watched my engine sit around "max" for 3hrs, while pulsating around hills due to the rpm restriction.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The vent issue is due to a bad check valve, the one in my bronco was intermitently acting up.

Good luck with everything else. This page helped me more than ANY of my factory service manuals, and I have all of them for my year.

What check valve are you referring too? The reservoir that JOwens mentioned or is there another item I need to look for?

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs. 94 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/1356/3.50 gears.
358 Posts
What check valve are you referring too? The reservoir that JOwens mentioned or is there another item I need to look for?

This shows the rough location, mine was about a foot further forward. I tested mine the old fashioned way, alternating air pressure and vacuum with my mouth until it acted up, it was intermittent, passed my initial set of tests with flying colors, while waiting for the replacement it finally stuck/failed open.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts