Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Cruise control problem

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Steve83 
#1 ·
ok, so i've got my truck running right, and done a tune up on it. Now i'm wanting to do some little things to it. Right now the rear window stopped working and so has cruise. The cruise quit working when i was driving it home the first day, and the power window quit working when i accidently touched the two copper pieces of metal together inside the dash switch. The first thing i did was check the vacuum lines for the cruise....nothing there. I then took the vacuum line off that ran to the manifold (and the cruise cable from the throttle body) and ran it to the other side of the cruise...thingy...the vacuum pulled the cable good, so i don't guess there's anything wrong with the diaphram inside that...thing...I put the hoses back where they were, and started looking at electrical problems that could be wrong with it.
I was looking under the dash and noticed there was writing under the steering wheel............HEY!!! THERE'S THE FUSES!!!:banghead I opened the cover under the dash and noticed that there are two weird looking fuses (i guess they're fuses..i don't know). They have a black plastic base and two metal posts sticking up. Then there's another piece of metal connecting those that looks like it's wrapped with copper wire. I've never saw these two thing before, and it says they're supposed to control the power windows, rear tailgate window, the locks...and i think the speed control. I pulled it out, looked at it, and put it back in. Then i checked my stuff. The windows work...locks work...but not the rear tailgate window or cruise still.
I was wondering...are there any other places where there are fuses for this thing? And also...does anyone else have an explanation to why my cruise control quit? You guys have been really helpful lately, and i think i just about have this thing working right.

See less See more
#3 ·
no...i didn't pull the top off them, i took the whole thing off. Yeah, i searched it...someone said that inside the tailgate the bunch of wires can get messed up, but i can't take the window down to check. I also searched for cruise control and i got some stuff about a switch that can melt and catch the truck on fire, and someone's vacuum line wasn't pulling enought to get it working. My bronco's an 88 so i don't think i have that problem, and i already checked the vacuum line like i said before. I think it's electrical, but it's not a fuse cuz i checked them.

#7 ·
Pre-'93 cruise is vacuum; '93-up is electronic.

Vacuum cruise & horn not working sounds like a fuse, or connectors X & Y (in this diagram) are disconnected. They're on the column under the cluster, and they actually look like the diagram shows: semicircular. They're light gray.

#8 ·
not sure if the 88's were called in for that catching on fire problem...if they were you can take it to ford and they will fix it for free. my cruise control wasn't working either until ford fixed the recall problem. works great now

#9 ·
so they might have disconnected inside the column? Every now and then the horn will just barely work, but you have to push on it hard and you can't even hardly hear it over the motor when it's idling. I'll check out what your talking about tomorrow. Will I be able to see it with the fuse panel off? Is the amplifier assembly where the horn and cruise control buttons are? lol..i'm a little confused looking at this diagram, but i think i'll figure it out once i can actually see it on the truck

#11 ·
96blkbeauty said:
not sure if the 88's were called in for that catching on fire problem...if they were you can take it to ford and they will fix it for free. my cruise control wasn't working either until ford fixed the recall problem. works great now
I checked to see recalls on my truck (after my cruise stopped working) and there was a recall on the cruise switch. It's good till 2007, issued in 05, so I'm gonna take mine in and get it fixed.

#12 ·
If the horn occasionally works, but is weak, it's probalby rusted out.

The cruise deactivator switch was used on '93-up, but it can't cause a fire on a '93. Only on '94-up, so that's what the recall covers. There's a thorough thread about it on FordF150.net; you can search it up there, but it's a sticky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.