Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd share this with y'all, since you're kind of like family. My wife and I went on our honeymoon to the Eastern Caribbean over Thanksgiving week, had to get away from the family after all the wedding s**t...We were on the newest biggest cruise ship afloat, Mariner of the Seas, 142,000 tons, 1020 feet long, and this was only the second cruise it made, so everything on the ship was new...The First stop Nassau, Bahamas..no offense to anyone from there, but what a f**king dump..Second stop was St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, it was a little nicer there but really touristy and commercial..Last stop was St. Marten's, for those who don't know, and I didn't St. Marten is the only island in the world to be occupied by to sovereign nations, the French and the Dutch. Okay, here is the scoop, buy the booze, especially rum and vodka, its cheap as hell..Litre bottles of Absolut for $8.00, Bacardi rum for $7.00, get the cigars, they have the cubans and they're good, don't look for any deals on them though. So here are some pics, more on my Superford..

This is a pic of the aft of the ship, it was too big to get the whole thing in the pic.

Sunset at sea, our first day on the ship.

Formal night on the ship

I was determined to find a Bronco somewhere on one of the Islands, this old girl was on St. Thomas, looks like an 84 with the sliding glass, other than that it was rusted to hell..

St. Johns Island, its a small relatively undeveloped island about 45 minutes from St. Thomas..

Can't really see it that well but the ambulances on the island all had 4 wheel drive..D60s I think..

More of St. Johns

Saw this midget smart car, they were all over the islands, probably because the streets are small as hell.

My wife pointed this one out to me, said I should get it for the Bronco...:thumbup

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, yeah the first night out was a little rough and so was the trip home, you wouldn't think you could feel the waves in a boat that big, but you trust me, you can.

·
Registered
589 Posts
jermil01 said:
The First stop Nassau, Bahamas..no offense to anyone from there, but what a f**king dump..
Aint that the truth... Everyone hears BAHAMAS and they think beautiful beaches, big hotels and all that other mumbo jumbo... but once you get down there and see its really not all that luxurious at all... i was down there last July... i went to work with a church down there. the bahamas are accually quite poverty stricken... with almost 3/4 there population being cuban immigrants, and the majority of those are 3rd and 4th generation AIDS victims... it accaully sucks pretty bad down there. i was workin on cleanin up some "ghettos" down there and little kids runnin around barefoot on broken glass not even knowing its there... a little girl like 3 or 4 was talkin about killing herself because she was SAD. its not as Ritzy as everyone thinks really. and the drugs are bad down there... they said its one of the biggest drug trafficing countries in the world. everyone stops there before they come into the US with it.

but like ya said the licqour prices are good deals... and the water was amazing. i stayed by a beach where the sharks came in to feed every night... it was sweet seeing all these sharks come swimmin up twards the beach in the moonlight. and we went snorkling also... swimming with a 4ft barracuda was kinda intense to say the least.

congrats on the honeymoon... glad to hear yall had a good time.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
jermil01 said:
Thanks man, yeah the first night out was a little rough and so was the trip home, you wouldn't think you could feel the waves in a boat that big, but you trust me, you can.
I know what you mean. Being on this ship for 3 years we took some good rolls. Standing on the flight deck once and we took what I thought to be a huge roll. I thought the ship was going to roll on over. I figured it would be something like 20-30 degrees of roll but found out it was just 7*. Scared me to death.

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it really doesn't take much, the boat has four stabilizers that they deploy when the seas get over six foot, they said we were getting between 8 and 12 foot seas on the way back. I mean I've been in a 35 foot sail boat in 20 plus foot seas and that was some scary s**t..

·
Registered
603 Posts
nice cruise, i was on a Royal Caribbean cruise this thanksgiving as well, alhough i was on the Rhapsody of the Seas. we went to Key West, the Cayman Islands, and Cozumel. These ships are quite nice and there is allot of food which is very nice. the ship i was on is a bit smaller than yours, but ive heard that the larger ships have allot of lines, is it true?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
jermil01 said:
Okay, here is the scoop, buy the booze, especially rum and vodka, its cheap as hell..Litre bottles of Absolut for $8.00, Bacardi rum for $7.00, get the cigars, they have the cubans and they're good, don't look for any deals on them though.
So, you just took the stuff aboard with you, and brought it all home??? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dsickles, when you say long lines, do you mean for food..Not really, I mean we ate in the dinining room quite a bit, but the buffets were so huge that it really wasn't a problem..

Dave, yeah I brought it all home with me. Legally you can bring something like 24 litres back with you, I only brought 4, no way to carry it all.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
So it was your honeymoon...Why did you leave the room?:goodfinge

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Re: Re: Cruise to the Islands

davids78bronco said:
So, you just took the stuff aboard with you, and brought it all home??? :confused:
That's what the wife and I did, we bought like 15 bottles bewteen the duty free shop on the ship and the stores in Bermuda. Back then you could only bring one litre of duty free back to the US. The customs guy was cool, he asked my purpose in Bermuda, once I told it was my honeymoon he smiled and said you'll need that liquor, and didn't make me pay the duty. :thumbup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts