Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how come some broncos you can cruise with the rear window down & others (mine) i get gassed out with fumes. could it be because hi lift of 6 inches pushes more air under the car?. is there a way to stop it, do i have to extend my exhaust pipes out further from the car, they are dual & head straight out the back each side.:cry

·
Registered
777 Posts
If I have all the windows down including the back window, and the vents all the way open and I'm moving down the road, I don't get gassed. If I have just the back window open, and moving down the road, I'm suckin fumes. BTW, I have the stock exhaust location.

I think it has to do with the big, square tail end creating a vacuum and all the fumes kind of roll around the back end and if the window is open, roll into the cabin. I've heard of people putting one of those down wings on the edge of the roof to help out with that.

another option...run topless:chili:

Cheers

Steve

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
The rear window down with the exhaust exit just below means the fumes will be forced right back into the vehicle. Either re-route your exhaust to the side or close the window.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
I had bad exhuast in the cab smell, then I got my new exhuast system done and that helped alot. Your duals are making it worse, I read on here that adding a turn down helps too.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
the stock location would be best, but that being said I have the turndown before the axle and i cruise with the front windows halfway open and no probs.....yes cat works.

There are lots of threads on this, if y'all want more opinions just do a search.:thumbup

·
Registered
69 Posts
well i have the duals out the back on my 92 and i can ride with the rear window down no problem... well it wasnt always like that.. i was flipping through the owners manual and it told me a great piece of information... run the fan and point the vents out the back... works wonders

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
i was flipping through the owners manual and it told me a great piece of information... run the fan and point the vents out the back... works wonders
What? You were reading the owners manual :doh0715: Total noob move :rofl:

Just fin with ya... thats probly good advice :thumbup

Okay... I have now officially used up my daily allowance of emoticons... :whiteflag

·
Registered
69 Posts
ha yeah man... no noob here... i never really ran with the rear window back in my 91... i just took the top off cause i had a ghetto qick release bolt system that made the top super easy to take off... but i got bored one day after goin through the papers when i bought the 92 stumbled upon the manual hahaha

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
must be nice!:goodfinge
if you ever got a trip up to the D-town area stop by and I'll fire up the Townie for ya, you'll see how nice a 302 in keep-alive mode can smell with no cats :toothless Seriosuly tho, add a 3" high-perf cat and you should be good on both emissions and exhaust flow

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
dude thats reeeeeeeaaally far away, I'll let you know though. And yea I'm working on the hi-flo cat deal, I need time, money, and a shop willing to pass me on visual. :toothless

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ha, far away, my friend Lynn just hauled to LA and back in her drop-top '99 Stang GT, and that beast don't even got all its 8 cylinders working (#6 is cracked and shut off)!

·
Registered
166 Posts
hmmm....

I always have the back window down (if it's wet out, I just crack it)
but normally keep it down about 3-6"

never notice much exhaust smell

but, then again,
my truck isn't running too rich,
that could make it alot worse, I guess

1 - 18 of 18 Posts