Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cummins/Bronco buildup (video added, page 6!)

Hey guys -
I'm new to this forum, but I've posted this build on a few others and it was recommended that I bring it here too. Enjoy!

One of my good friends here owns a junkyard, so he's got plenty of potential for oddball projects. He's always been really into Broncos, with his most current DD being a '91 Eddie Bauer, with a Mustang GT 5.0, 5-speed and manual transfer case, HP44 SFA swap, and a semi-float 10.25" rear.

Well, in June the clutch went on it. About that same time we got this beauty in at the junkyard:

'94 Ram 3500, cummins diesel.

Since he had been more than unhappy with the Mustang 5.0, and since the trans had to come down anyway to do the clutch...why not swap in a cummins?

Of course it isn't quite that simple. The donor Dodge was only 2WD, so we had no transmission sitting around that would bolt up and be 4WD. However, we did have a ZF 5-speed from a 7.3L Powerstroke motor. Through a little digging, we found an obscure conversion company (www.fordcummins.com) that specializes in these things, and they manufactured us a bellhousing adapter to mate the Ford ZF to the Cummins motor.

This conversion uses the Dodge flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate, which were upgraded to Centerforce II pieces. The pilot bushing is a custom piece that came with the adapter plate. The stock Ford slave cylinder and clutch arm are used with the Dodge throwout bearing. The Dodge starter is reused as well, but is relocated to spot where the Ford starter used to be. This fits the chassis nice, but required a little bit of grinding on the inside of the bellhousing in order to fit the nosecone properly.

Next, we decided the stock Borg-Warner t-case wasn't badass enough. So we did a little more digging and found a Ford NP205 case from a '79 Bronco. With a little trimming of the mounting flange on the trans to clear the shift rails, it bolts right up.

At this point, the project took a big halt. My friend went back to school for a few days a week, the EPA did an inspection at the yard and found a bunch of stuff that needed to be taken care of, so that left no time for the buildup.

Sometime during that lull, we decided that after test-fitting everything, it was gonna be a bit tight. So we found a 3" body lift kit sitting in a dusty box in the basement, and figured it would probably solve all the clearance issues. Around that same time, a near-mint '96 Bronco rolled into the yard, being scrapped due to flood damage. Since my friend's '91 had all kinds of body rust, and we pretty much had to pull the body anyway to do the body lift...why not swap over the nicer, newer one?

So the body came off, which made test-fitting and mounting the motor much easier.

Note the onboard air bottle, and the missing front crossmember - we cut it out and are almost finished with the engine cradle that will hold the Cummins motor. We also raised the gas tank up a few inches because we were bored.

Here's the powertrain as it sits:

12-valve Cummins, with Banks turbo kit (why not?), Ford ZF 5-speed, Ford NP205, with a PTO hydraulic pump on it. This was added as an afterthought, just because we had it sitting around.

And, installed in the chassis:

The last few weeks have been spent making the crossmember for the motor mounts, and also running fuel supply/return lines. Tonight, after securely bolting everything down, we finally got to try firing up the motor. And man, does this thing run!

http://www.phatserver.net/users/chris/cumminshi.wmv (23 mb)
http://www.phatserver.net/users/chris/cumminslo.wmv (10 mb)

Frame seems to be flexing a little bit, but we'll be adding a bit more reinforcing down the length of it. Plus with the body installed plus shocks and stuff it shouldn't be too bad.

As far as axles go...the bastard got a HP60 from a '78 F250 for free (some guy just junked the truck without knowing what he had), so that'll be going in, and we've got a D70u for the rear. He ALSO got a set of 5 Goodyear MT military tires, 37x12.5R16.5 for free, with 4 being brand new. Guess there are some perks to owning a place like that.

As it continues I'll update this, but it's lookin pretty good. The body fits wonderfully with the 3" lift. The only clearance issues we may run into are fitting the radiator, intercooler, and condensor inside the front clip...but that'll get figured out in due time.

If anyone wants more detail on any aspect of the build just let me know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The t-case shifter setup was interesting, given the interference from the ZF trans.

You can see the cutting/grinding needed to clear the shift rods:

Here are the cables we're using: push/pull, load rated to 100 lbs, from McMaster-Carr...about $40 each.

At this point, I'll let the pictures do the talking...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mounted product:

There will most likely just be some sort of plate that bolts through the hole in the shift rods, that'll get push/pulled via the cables.

After the body goes on, shift lever fabbin' will be next...and I think we're gonna do something pretty nifty for that.

Also, we got the radiator and intercooler mocked up:

Those are two Taurus electric fans, with a big relay that'll be triggered by a temperature switch/controller on a coolant hose. We went with the twin electrics instead of the mechanical due to space constraints...as it is, the whole front clip will likely have to be custom, with a big possibility of having a one-piece front that tips forward.

There's plenty of room for the intercooler and radiator hoses though, which is a good thing. The factory Dodge radiator hoses will work fine.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Everone has talked about doing a diesel swap, but you're the first to actually post of pics of doing it.

My hats off to ya :twotu:

Can't wait ot see the finished product :rockon

EDIT: I'd like to see what ya'll are going to do to the frame to handle to extra weight and torque.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What a freaking COOL project, :thumbup Bronco diesel, I wish I had that kind of time and resources available. :cry Can't wait to see the finished product. :shocked Keep the pics coming, very interresting, and good luck!:beer

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
i've been tryin to get over to pirate to check out this build, but since its been down i didnt know what i've been missin. thanks for bringin it over here, post lots-o-pics and keep us up to date. very cool

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
you bastard. i need to make friends with a junkyard owner. freaking sweet swap though. those front coils look none too happy though. thought about getting coils with a higher rate?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Beautiful. I've been wanting to do this swap myself on my 89. I'd found fordcummins.com, who is located on the other end of my state, but hadn't gotten any further. Thanks for the pics and so forth!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cool i always day dream about puting a Cummins in my 94.I bet poeple will get confused when they hear it on the road.I would be cool to run a 4'' exhaust with a 5'' tip right were the factory pipe come out.My 01 dodge Cummins has a 4" system from the turbo back with a straight through muffler .That thing sounds mean you can realy hear the turbo wistle.Have you been on the turbodeiselregister.com ? they have a cool conversion section .Brian

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
adrianspeeder said:
Not quite, you musta missed Agnems 7.3L IDI swap.

[Cartman] Dat was my bad. [/Cartman] :whiteflag

Ok, ok. He's the first to post pics of a CUMMINS swap

( Please don't shoot me down again :toothless )

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Definatly a sweet project. Looking forward to seeing the final prodect. There has been alot of talk about diesel swaps but this is the first I have seen actual pictures of. Best of luck to you and I can't wait to see it done!
-Casey

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Damn dude. Awsome work going into that thing. Great idea. I love diesels, if they had a diesel bronco (not centurion) it would be great.

Keep those pics comming, great project.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is freakn' sweet, thats some bad fab work you got goin. But there is only one thing that would be cooler than that, that would be an 8V92 Detroit Diesel and if you could get that to fit you are a god.

8V92:
736ci V8 two stroke supercharged turbodiesel
500HP 1478lbs-ft
(yes i said supercharged turbodiesel)

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Awesome project, we're going to be expecting weekly updates

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jrdbronco said:
you bastard. i need to make friends with a junkyard owner. freaking sweet swap though. those front coils look none too happy though. thought about getting coils with a higher rate?
Higher rate? Haha...those are 300 lbs/ft heavier than stock, custom from coilsprings.com. They barely compress when we set the motor down on 'em.

The bend you're seeing is from the SFA swap, because the factory perches on the HP44 axle are a little wider than the frame rail on the '91 Bronc. So far it hasn't been a problem (we've been running those springs for about a year now, ever since the SFA swap), and it's been through two seasons of plowing and winching/recovery. That's what he had them made for, the additional weight of a plow, and the stress of having a 12k winch stalling out (that front bumper is a thread in and of itself).

In other news, I finished up the cable shifters for the 205 today and they work sweet...and we started setting the body on. Expect an update in a day or two once we get all the rotted body mounts replaced and have it bolted up.

1 - 20 of 262 Posts