Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met a guy that says he can burn a new chip for my 94 351. Is it worth it? Is it safe? I remember talking to a friend of mine about his late 80 early 90 mustang that had a chip, and he said it burnt upo his computer. I know jack about this stuff, so I was hoping you could chime in here.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
IIRC that puter isn't programmable and all the chip does is lie....but as soon as fireguy gets on he will let ya know fer sure...

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
I can't really answer this now.
I've been working on a web page for a while now that would answer your questions.
Problem is it would take me a long time or rambling to explane it now.
And I've got stuff to do being Xmas eve.
I'll have to come back to this :beer

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
DOH! I was wondering the same thing. can I get a chip burned for my 91. PS, how do I tell if I have SD or MAF?

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
you have SD man....i will fill in for fireguy...bu tmy rambling will take two mins because CARBS rule....hehe

SD has two hoses off of the throttle body and to the box IIRC...also MA has a sensor between the airbox and throttle body. SD was 86- 93 or 94 depending on Cali models which recieved MA....not sure though on exactly which motors were in the transfer years of the SD to MA....but you can tell MA from the sensor in the hoses....

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
?

How much power are you going to gain? Especially a pretty much stock engine and speed density. IMO I would not do a chip unless it's for other things such as how the tranny shifts, shift points, rpm rev limit, etc. Other than that, I don't think gains with chips on a gas engine, especially speed density, is worth the cost/non-oem part on the vehicle. Also some do require premium gas, depends on what the guy burning it for you does for you, but I would weight HP vs cost gain and ask yourself if you really think it's worth it. I was set on a chip, but after everything I read online, on a stock SD engine, you won't gain much. But like I said if it's for other things like tranny, etc, then it might be worth it. That's all I can add, as far as technical, I am sure fireguy can prove me wrong, but I don't think you will see much unless your engine has some other mods.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cost is 50 bucks for me and a bottle of wine.

I am not against throwing headers onbut dont think it needs an intake, etc. I just figured for 50 bucks if it will run stronger it might be worth it.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
you can get chips for those, as long as you keep it mild and not try and over do the programming you should see an improvement on power

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Dustin said:
you can get chips for those, as long as you keep it mild and not try and over do the programming you should see an improvement on power
Are you already running your plugs out near .060 with REALLY good plug wires and an aftermarket TFI coil ?

If not, do these first and they'll wake up your Bronco without having to make you fill up at the premium pump like a chip will.

Sixlitre

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Sixlitre said:
Are you already running your plugs out near .060 with REALLY good plug wires and an aftermarket TFI coil ?
do ford motorsport 9mm wires count as good? maybe its time to regap my plugs :cool:

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
oh I forgot about the premium fuel thing, most chips reqiure you to run a higher octane which can get pricy in a bronco.

I dont have anything done to mine except motorsprot 9mm wires. Ive spent money on more improtant items for the bronco :D

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
Andy351 said:
do ford motorsport 9mm wires count as good? maybe its time to regap my plugs :cool:
YES!

Best / cheapest tune up:
Get the Ford Racing 9mm wires M-12259-C301
Great value for $40
And the Ford Racing cap and rotor kit M-12106-B302
Great value for $30

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Broncobob said:
?

How much power are you going to gain? Especially a pretty much stock engine and speed density. IMO I would not do a chip unless it's for other things such as how the tranny shifts, shift points, rpm rev limit, etc. Other than that, I don't think gains with chips on a gas engine, especially speed density, is worth the cost/non-oem part on the vehicle. Also some do require premium gas, depends on what the guy burning it for you does for you, but I would weight HP vs cost gain and ask yourself if you really think it's worth it. I was set on a chip, but after everything I read online, on a stock SD engine, you won't gain much. But like I said if it's for other things like tranny, etc, then it might be worth it. That's all I can add, as far as technical, I am sure fireguy can prove me wrong, but I don't think you will see much unless your engine has some other mods.
the problem is, I have a custom grind cam in mine. Ill just wait to see how the new engine acts with the cam in it. if it is teh same as the current one, then Ill re-chip it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts