Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '93 and no console currently. I have a basic design with speakers in the bottom of it, and a 12" deep "box." What is the best way to cover it? With a fabric, or paint? I have access to fiberglass and a paint booth. Also, any pics would be appreciated.
-Luke-

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Paint would be easiest, but unless there is some texture to it, it probably wont look too good. My friend covered his sub box with vinyl, it looked sweet.

So my vote goes for vinyl.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I'll say vinyl or a nice quality carpeting that doesn't really look like carpet (You don't want the bathroom rug right in the middle of your truck).

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
if you were so inclined, i would make it out of sheetmetal. the next thing i would make it out of would be hdf and fiberglass. the last thing i would do is cover it with carpet or vinyl. unless you get a pro looking install with either of the last two, its going to look screwy around the corners and such. and there is nothing worse than some jerry rigged vinyl work. wood and metal would be the first choices for me.
i made my first center console out of hdf and sheetmetal and reall yliked the way it turned out. then i got a manual shift xfer case and had to begin thinking about modifying the center console, then after doin somemore thinking i realized i wasnt very far from installing a 4sp ratchet shifter for the e4od. so now i am in the process of making a new center console entirely of steel. (1/2 tube and 18ga sheetmetal). ill get pics once i start rolling on it, right now, its just a cad drawing. and spec sheet.

good luck dude.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
HDF or MDF? I think sheet metal would be scorching in the summer, but I guess with proper covering it wouldn't only be sturdy but light too. Just round the edges so you don't slice yourself when you're reaching for a beer....er, uh,...whatever you keep in your new fully sealed metal enclosure with optional drain plug.....

:thumbup

Really, though...just search around and get your ideas from others on the forums. You never know what kind of inspiration you can get from the other guys around here. Believe me, I know :thumbup

·
Registered
775 Posts
Ya, vynal will look nice, but it takes some time to get the corners right, I would go with carpet because you can hide your mistakes a little better

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I wouldn't put a 15 in there, it'd have to be a huge console and you would have NO room inside. I would just throw a 10" in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts