Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people know that the OEM Contour fan assembly with dual fans is an extremely compact and ridiculously high flowing unit. They're also very cheap, ranging from $15 at the junkyard to $100 for a brand new unit from RockAuto.com.

Having moved to southern Arizona and reinstated the A/C in my old '79 Bronco, the OE shroud and mechanical fan weren't adequate for my rockcrawling in 120 degree heat with the A/C running trail days.

Started with a $50 Summit Racing shroud which measures 26" x 19.5". Cut the openings for the fans using the waterjet. Also used the waterjet to cut out some custom flanges for adapting to the OEM downflow radiator shroud flanges. Had my friend TIG weld the flanges on... all aluminum. Works absolutely fantastic!

·
Registered
209 Posts
1st. Looks badass!

2nd. If you have waterjet capability and Tig capability, why in the wrld did you spend $50 on a premade racing shroud? Am I missing something here?

3rd. can you wheel with AC on now without overheating? I've been having the same issue and have been highly considering elec fans for just that reason. Elect fans don't care if you're idling.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st. Looks badass!

2nd. If you have waterjet capability and Tig capability, why in the wrld did you spend $50 on a premade racing shroud? Am I missing something here?

3rd. can you wheel with AC on now without overheating? I've been having the same issue and have been highly considering elec fans for just that reason. Elect fans don't care if you're idling.
Thanks.

I ordered the shroud thinking that the flanges were on the vertical edges (based on the photo I saw on Summit Racing), but when it arrived I realized that the mounting flanges were on the horizontal edges. So I had to fab some new flanges and have my friend weld them on. TIG is not something I'm able to do myself very well, but my friend is a professional bicycle frame builder and makes it look like a joke - so he did it.

I can wheel with the A/C on without overheating at all now. In fact, it overcools. The issue I'm having is running warmer on the highway - not super hot or anything, but the engine temps can climb up to about 210*F regardless of the ambient, so that is likely a timing issue.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ahh, makes perfect sense now, lol. I really want to learn TIG. I'm really still learning on my MIG. My welds are ugly as ugly gets, but I get good penetration and they hold. I'm a big fan of anything homemade or modified to fit the need at hand. Too many people would have just sent the part back to the supplier. I applaud you making it work.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, does the electric fan controller run via manual switch or via thermostat?
Mine are both EEC controlled, independently, and the temperatures they turn on/off at are defined by the tune which I adjust using Binary Editor and the free GUFB strategy via a TwEECer RT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts