Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been tossing the idea in my head about getting new head in the bko. My idea is to go get some heads from a junkyard and have them magma fluxed and. Assuming there are no cracks.... Get them hot tanked and Get the valve seats ported larger to fit larger valves and get a cam with lobes about .500" taller (will decide for sure once I know how much clearance I have when I test the piston/valve clearance.)

Then I'd probably get an intake from Edelbroke to allow for better flow as well.

Anyone have any comments/thoughts/tips?

·
Registered
204 Posts
best cast head

I think the best cast head without sparkplug/header issues is the GT-40 head. I just found some on a 97 Mountaineer in the bone yard. Mine are the Cobra castings FZ3E-AA, 63 to 64 cc chambers, supposed to flow much better than the stock heads. I would look into the Typhoon intake, it appears cheapest and a eddy clone...good luck.

Bratcop

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the best cast head without sparkplug/header issues is the GT-40 head. I just found some on a 97 Mountaineer in the bone yard. Mine are the Cobra castings FZ3E-AA, 63 to 64 cc chambers, supposed to flow much better than the stock heads. I would look into the Typhoon intake, it appears cheapest and a eddy clone...good luck.

Bratcop
That'd be the head I would be aiming to find

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're gonna do work to stock heads, I think you would get far better results with an inexpensive head like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dart-Iron-Eagle-Cylinder-Heads-Small-Ford-13301111-/370546261126?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5646473c86

then for an intake Id say to go with the Edelbrock like you said.
Not sure if that's the price for one or two heads... Either way... My way would run me a little less than 500 and that's with the new cam included too. Plus Isnt the freight charge another 99 from summit?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't think you are going to get all that head work for <$500. If so give me the number of the place, I can't locate anyone.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think you are going to get all that head work for <$500. If so give me the number of the place, I can't locate anyone.
Wholesale prices. Sorry dude.

·
Registered
731 Posts
That puts a whole new twist on your question. If you can get all that done for <$500, what you waiting on? Are you Mass air or planning on it?

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That puts a whole new twist on your question. If you can get all that done for <$500, what you waiting on? Are you Mass air or planning on it?

I'm waitin to have a budget that allows me to blow 500 bucks lol

Mass air: No and I haven't really thought about it either. Seems like more money and trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm waitin to have a budget that allows me to blow 500 bucks lol

Mass air: No and I haven't really thought about it either. Seems like more money and trouble than it's worth.
Mass air will give you more tuning capabilty to adjust for your engine mods and with heads, cams ect is the way to fly. Pay attention to the recommended RPM operating ranges of the parts you want to install.

Bronco's are heavy trucks with fairly small stock engines and losing bottom end torque in the lower rpm ranges will be felt much more than if you were dealing with a lighter Mustang or something along that line.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mass air will give you more tuning capabilty to adjust for your engine mods and with heads, cams ect is the way to fly. Pay attention to the recommended RPM operating ranges of the parts you want to install.

Bronco's are heavy trucks with fairly small stock engines and losing bottom end torque in the lower rpm ranges will be felt much more than if you were dealing with a lighter Mustang or something along that line.
I'm aware of mass air does. Just don't see a point of putting it in my rig. Your new so you wouldn't have seen my posts. But im only keeping this gasoline crap engine around as long as necessary. Than it's diesel swap. The heads I have now are in need of replacing. Which is why I bring this up

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm aware of mass air does. Just don't see a point of putting it in my rig. Your new so you wouldn't have seen my posts. But im only keeping this gasoline crap engine around as long as necessary. Than it's diesel swap. The heads I have now are in need of replacing. Which is why I bring this up
Well you sure won't have any torque problems when you get that diesel in there.

Just out of curosity I see you are in Cali, with all their restrictive smog laws will swapping in the diesel be problematic in staying within the smog laws and being "street legal" since the Bronco was never offered with a factory diesel?

I know here where I live we have no emmision testing at all so you can pretty well do what you want as long as the smog equipment looks pretty close to what the year would have come with as part of the state safety inspection.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still trying to figure it out. But so far it's looking like I should be able to. I know some people that swapped diesels into their blazers(non military blazers) and he told me it was a pain in the ass jumping through all the hoops to get it in. But no smog laws for pre 98 diesels in California... Yet

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm still trying to figure it out. But so far it's looking like I should be able to. I know some people that swapped diesels into their blazers(non military blazers) and he told me it was a pain in the ass jumping through all the hoops to get it in. But no smog laws for pre 98 diesels in California... Yet
Yeah as restrictive as California appears to be that is what I was wondering.

Now I can see where getting the Blazer in although a pain would be doable since Chevrolet did offer the blazer with the factory diesel option and they have some written regulations as far as equipment to fall back on.

Thats what I was wondering as far as the Bronco was concerned since it never had the factory diesel as an option.

Good luck on your swap, I would sure hate to live out there as far as them being so nitpicky on what is and is not allowed.

The biggest restriction we have here is concerning bumper height laws and in most juristictions unless you are showing your a$$ it is not something that is enforced very often.

Funny really as to pass inspection you could be running 49's with your bumpers able to totally clear a compact car and thats okay but yet illegal to operate on the streets.

Most vehicles with a 4-6" lift with 35's are within the legal limits but anything above that then you generally are too tall to pass the tapeline. Also if your factory bumpers are altered or moved from the factory location then the tape runs to the bottom of the frame.

I guess everywhere has their own issues one way or the other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts