Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had an idea to beef up my intake. i was going to custom fab a braket for dual K&N Cone filters(my brother did it for his) but insted of keeping the stock rubber snorkles, i was going to throw in a throttle body spacer, and then some steel or aluminum snorkles. problem is, outside of the custom braket for the filters them selves. i have no idea how to do it, im iffy on the spacer, but has anyone done this before, and if you did...HOW???

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
Have you seen the "getto cold air intake" thread? It may help you.

I ended up makeing a custom box around my intake to stop mudd and water from getting in. I did not make mine water tight, so it cant be submerged into water its just a cover to stop the hot engine air from flowing in and to block any sort of liquid when i hit a mud hole.

You would probly want to do something similar but (but water tight) and hook up a snork instead of a ram air tube.

Honestly, it seems like more work than needed. If your going with a snork than you wouldn't need a "cone filter"... but whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
904 Posts
the point being to what... make your intake box stronger? no need, you are only adding weight to the vehicle.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
no offense....sounds like a whole lotta fabbing, for not a lot of gain.
Bingo.

Either do a simple ghettofab K&N, or leave your stock airbox. You're not going to see a gain from spending time and money on a bunch of crap under the hood that really doesn't do anything different then the stock stuff, or the ghettofab K&N.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i mis-spoke, the tubes that deliver the air from the box to the throttle body i call "snorkles" it wouldnt add much weight if i went with aluminum, but either way, dual cone filters adds so much more flow, and im retiring my truck from wheeling while im in highschool, damn hub nearly fried on me and the wheel bearing blew apart, and the wedge nut came loose, almost killed me just because mud got into the hub. so no need for water sealing.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
i mis-spoke, the tubes that deliver the air from the box to the throttle body i call "snorkles" it wouldnt add much weight if i went with aluminum, but either way, dual cone filters adds so much more flow, and im retiring my truck from wheeling while im in highschool, damn hub nearly fried on me and the wheel bearing blew apart, and the wedge nut came loose, almost killed me just because mud got into the hub. so no need for water sealing.
Just remember, in all reality, how much more air flow do you think your stock motor needs, that the stock airbox can't provide.

The answer, is none.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just remember, in all reality, how much more air flow do you think your stock motor needs, that the stock airbox can't provide.

The answer, is none.
not true, u guys are suffocating ur trucks. my brother pointed this out to me, rev up the motor and watch the air box, the top of the box pulls in like its not gettin enough air. plus more air flow will increase horsepower and gas miliege. so while i might not do the whole steel snorkle thing, i still think that dual cone filters are the way to go. and believe it or not, to change to cone filters isnt that hard. my brother knows how and if anyones interested i can ask him how he did it. its just a couple welds and maybe some drilling.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dont leave them right next to the throttle body, u run the normal rubber hoses out to where the air box goes, and mount the dual cones there. and you could just leave the bottom half of the box in, modify it a little and get some fresh air from the peice of the box that runs up to the hood.

(this was originaly a response to the above post, but he edited his post, so "crap wrong thread" made no sence, but heres some extra info on how to do it anyway)

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
not true, u guys are suffocating ur trucks.
:histerica

Other people have tested this. With the stock airbox, and a K&N drop in, the trucks ended up with slightly better mileage and power.

And actually did REAL scientific tests, with real values, and real data. Not just, wow omgs you gusyz are sufercatin yuor trucks. da airbox sucks together.

Have you pulled off the tube that runs up to the grill just to check and see if there's an obstruction? The stock airbox is made of hard plastic, and I've never seen mine 'crush' due to vacuum.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, scientific tests or not, ive seen resaults. my brothers horsepower gains were unreal. can anyone with a stock intake to a 351 do a brake stand with 35" knobby ass tires? my brothers couldnt until he did his little custom intake. no low range, nothing, just flat out hit the gas, hold the brake. i can already tell no one is taking me seriously, but thats scientific enough for me, actual resaults.

·
Registered
777 Posts
hmm. Ambient air density at my altitude is 89 kPa. I know this because my MAP sensor is set up to grab a reading at Key On. Also, reading my sensors Key On Engine Off gives me the same air density. At WOT ~4000 RPM, I'm reading 88 kPa.

Considering 0 kPa is perfect vacuum, and 101 kPa or so is standard pressure at sea level IE 29.92 inHg.

Actual real world numbers showing there is NO restriction in my intake at WOT.

BTW It's spelled results.

:popc1:

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
well, scientific tests or not, ive seen resaults. my brothers horsepower gains were unreal. can anyone with a stock intake to a 351 do a brake stand with 35" knobby ass tires? my brothers couldnt until he did his little custom intake. no low range, nothing, just flat out hit the gas, hold the brake. i can already tell no one is taking me seriously, but thats scientific enough for me, actual resaults.
ass dyno <> proof

·
Registered
146 Posts
Seems like you pretty much got your heart set on doing this work, so just do it and put up some pictures of the job.

Good luck.

X

·
0 Posts
Hey dude, if it's one thing I have learned here on the FSB. It's that you don't go asking for help or advice, and then burning people b/c they did'nt tell you what you wanted to hear. Take the information so graciously offered with a grain of salt. B/c ultimately your gonna do what you want and learn the hard way, or come back and tell us you had the results you expected and that we are all wrong.:smilie_slap

Until then be nice and provide results rather than disproving theories and breaking down every bit of advise that's thrown your way. It's a good way to get black flagged in here.:goodfinge

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
I've never done that before. omg that's incredible. A better result would be pics of the rear u-joint angle and leaf spring wrap while doing this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts