Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid Q: but here we go Im getting a 6" lift but Im also thinking about getting my TTB cut and turned. Ive been reading past thread which say that the cut and turn lifts the bronco is that correct or am i just lost in the sauce. I love my TTB and really dont care for the SAS so here i am any helpful Info would be greatly appreciated and also a good places to have a TTB Cut and turn thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
When you say, "Im getting a 6" lift but Im also thinking about getting my TTB cut and turned.", Are you saying you're considering a 6" lift with "cut and turn" beams?

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
i don't know all the particulars of the ttb, but...

when you do a cut and turn, you are basically eliminating the drop brackets to gain more travel by actually modifying the beams. you still need new springs to make the suspension taller. I think the normal cut and turn is about the equivalent of 4inch drop brackets......but im not an expert on this...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im considering a 6" lift but want to get some more info on the whole cut and turned TTB im new to this area of FSB so please forgive my ignorance.....

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Im considering a 6" lift but want to get some more info on the whole cut and turned TTB im new to this area of FSB so please forgive my ignorance.....
No forgiveness necessary, just trying to get more info.

4-5" of lift is the norm for modified (cut and turn). Too much lift can create issues with axle-shafts and puts more stress on ball joints (because of the increased angles), steering, etc.

I guess the questions to answer are:

What are you going to do with the truck?

How much money are you going to spend?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im in Iraq so i have alittle money coming my way but when i get back to cali im buy an atv and want to hit up some sand, but i also want to be able to hit the trails and offraod. 4" of lift is really all I want so that would be great I geuss what i need is a parts list I'm going to get a TTB and take it to Camburg to be truned but i need to know what else i need to get

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
but i need to know what else i need to get
What you pictured is what I would get. It's bolt-on performance that with proper maintenance can last tens of thousands of off-road miles. There are few parts not pictured... coils, limit straps and a few miscellaneous brackets. Keep in mind you can use that kit with one shock per wheel. I would consider is using a 3"x14" shock per wheel. A single 2.5" shock can work extremely well, but if you plan on prerunning and driving a lot of continuous off-road miles then they can overheat.

Also, don't forget the rear. Make sure you work that into your budget before you blow your wad on the front.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well all that should be fairly inexpensive aside from having the TTB cut and turned but the radius arms,coils, shouldnt be that much do i need any special axles or can i reuse the stock one. I plan on getting new springs on the rear my bronco is my daily driver i have a 02 vw jetta but i love my bronco so i drive it everywhere

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
well all that should be fairly inexpensive....
"Fairly inexpensive" is relative. What you pictured plus the parts required to complete the installation is 4 to 5,000 thousand dollars plus installation if you're not doing it yourself.

do i need any special axles or can i reuse the stock one. I plan on getting new springs on the rear my bronco is my daily driver i have a 02 vw jetta but i love my bronco so i drive it everywhere
No special axles needed with stock width beams.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well im not exactly go with that kit i emailed the guy thats a Autofab kit which cost about 3000 my big purchases would be the TTB cut and turn and the radius arms I plann on buying cage coils,duece radius arms take the in when i have the TTB cut and turned also see about having some ball joints put on the arms, fox shocks the only thing is do i need to go down to one shock

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Every time i open my mouth on this subject, i seem to get into trouble. So here goes my dos centavos...

You really need to decide what kind of wheeling you are going to do. If it's the occasional romp in the sand, or running mild trails, i say get a superlift, or a rancho lift kit, and invest in quality shocks. Yikes is running a rancho kit, and i'm amazed at what his rig can handle.

With that said, if you really want to drop the coin on a full on desert set up, then the sky is the limit, but one word of caution, don't mix and match parts. If you are going with autofab, then go autofab. If you are going to go camburg, then go camburg. A lot of people think that they can just get c/t beams and that is all they need. As Steve pointed out there's a lot more to it than that. There's limit straps, brake lines, bushings, what about the rear suspension? It needs to compliment the front.

I speak from experience when it comes to mixing and matching, because that's what i did. If i could do it over again, i would have taken my truck to either autofab, or camburg and just let them do what they do. For that matter, i would have let Solo do all their parts.

Bottom line is this, figure out what you want out of your truck, then make a realistic budget and go from there. Good luck to ya, and stay safe!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Here's my 2 cents as well.
I agree with BrokenBronco, DON'T TRY TO MIX PARTS FROM DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS!!!!!!! :twakYou will be disapointed.
Everyone on Broncospeed know's I'm a big fan of Autofab so thats where I'd send you. If you'd e-mail John at Autofab with what your plans are for the truck he can help you decide whats right for you and your rig. He knows how to make Fords TTB work very well.
Good luck with your project. I hope you'll be as happy as I am with mine.:thumbup
Stay safe and thanks from me for your service to our country.:usa

·
Registered
628 Posts
i have made my own "kits" for a couple of people,mix matched parts,my radius arms and my modified beams(some extended some not)
you definatly dont want to mix match parts! i know fromm experiance as well it is more a pain to buy someones used crap and make it work.
these guys on this board are by far more experianced in this matter than me.after all, i did my research on their projects on other forums and came to my own conclusions. you get what you pay for.autofab has been in buisness since jesus swung a hammer.they are more expensive but well worth it. camburg and all the other guys offer more bling bling,
you have picked the right guys to ask advice from,take it from me,i was asking the same questions years ago. good luck with your build

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
well im not exactly go with that kit i emailed the guy thats a Autofab kit which cost about 3000....
$3000+$1600 for 4 2.5" Fox shocks=$4600. Add ball joints (Spicer) and some taxes and you're damn close to $5,000. Regardless of which fabricator you go with, the prices are going to be similar for comparable quality.

You really need to decide what kind of wheeling you are going to do. If it's the occasional romp in the sand, or running mild trails, i say get a superlift, or a rancho lift kit, and invest in quality shocks. Yikes is running a rancho kit, and i'm amazed at what his rig can handle.
Ditto. Be honest with yourself. Are you really going to use $10,000 worth of suspension? AND, are you leaving yourself enough money to keep the truck running (maintenance, repairs, etc.)?

It's very possible that a good drop bracket kit with GOOD SHOCKS would be more than enough. If you go that route, I would still get a good quality set of long travel leaves. The difference in perfomance when compared to traditional lift springs and add-a-leaves makes it well worth the expense. Of course if you are going to use the go fast goodies then by all means go for it, but be smart about it. Don't do what too many of us have... buy the wrong parts the first time then spend twice the money and twice the time to get it right the second time.

Here's my 2 cents as well.
I agree with BrokenBronco, DON'T TRY TO MIX PARTS FROM DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS!!!!!!! :twakYou will be disapointed.
Is there an echo here or is everyone saying the same thing?

Should we all say it together? LOL

Of course, there are trucks out there with mixed and matched parts that work damn well, but, the owners/builders are very savvy and know the intricacies that make the TTB work.

Also, there are a couple prerunner build threads here and a lot of good info in them. Make sure you read them.

Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddd, when you're done join us for a Bronco flogging!

·
Registered
345 Posts
in my opinion do the rear first, then the front, the rear is the hard part to keep under control. I have the front of my stock bronco under control with some good shocks and bumps, Its the rear that needs help. good luck

btw yikes truck seems to work well for a $1000 kit are you gonna use it that much to justify 10k

1 - 17 of 17 Posts