Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just picked up my first bronco 1996 XL 5.0 5 speed. Its 100% stock. I want to do a 4" lift on 33's and ill be doing the work myself in my garage. The research I've been doing is leading me to a Solo motorsports entry level cut and turned 4" kit. I had my eye on the JBG ultra deluxe kit with rear leafs but the fact I have to deal with removing the stock pivot brackets and those damn rivets is turning me off to that kit. I lifted my 2005 Ford E350 van and swore is never cut those rivets again LOL! Since the Solo kit is more money ill have to use blocks in the rear until budget permits some new leaf springs. Ill call Solo next week but wanted to see how many on here went this route? Will I need longer axles with this kit? Thanks for any feedback, looking forward to putting another clean Bronco on the trails.

Chris

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,089 Posts
Your axles will be fine with that kit. I did not go that route but researched it thoroughly. I would also give threat motorsports a call, they maybe able to get you a similar price but I like the way their radius arms looked better. Cut and turn is the correct way to lift one of these trucks. I would of not bought a bracket lift kit knowing what I do now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks for the reply. Since I typed this I found another thread from a guy that put 2.5" coils, Bilstein 5100's and cruised all through Baja during the 1000. Damn, that would be a helluva lot cheaper and get me on the trails sooner than later. :scratchhe

My goal is to make a desert rig that's reliable, put the wife and kids in and go explore Southern Utah's back roads and trails. A little flexing' at times and a smooth ride would be awesome. I guess I could go the 2.5" route drive it for a while and decide if I need more...lots to ponder.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I used solo for my c&t beams. Best $300 i spent. I went ahead and plated & braced mine myself. No new axles needed but you will have to have a set hight when you talk with solo. I had mine built for 4.5" of lift which they said was there max. I'm running deaver 5.5" coils but replaced the lower coil retainer with one from a ttb ranger. That brought me down to about 4.5.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ultimately I'd like to end up with a set up like yours JBfab. I've been reading and thinking all day about the order of the build. I may lean towards just freshening up the front end, put a set of 2" coils and some Bilstein 5100's. Have fun with it, drive it, learn it. Then when I save enough money and don't mind having her out of commish while I do the 4" cut and turn TTB. With the 2" coils I could get the wheels I want, run 33's and do all the other mods while working out the bugs. Get it solid and reliable first then do suspension right. I plan on keeping the Bronco for years to come so doing the build in stages is probably the way it'll go. Still pondering...

·
Registered
522 Posts
You'll be happy with the Solo beams. I started out with a Pro Comp Stage II lift. I ended up transitioning to C&T beams over time. I wish I had done more research before I bought the Pro Comp lift.

I am using the Pro Comp extended radius arms and 4" coils which are quality pieces and work well with the Solo beams. Originally I used add-a-leafs to raise the rear. That sucks. I picked up a pair of Deaver J40s from JBG which is the best deal on those Deavers anywhere. They are great. I have now added a pair of Camburg extended shackles and lowered the rear hangers a few inches to compensate for the extended shackles. I had already replaced the rear hangers due to rust, so I did not need to remove the rivets (again). However, I agree that removing the rivets sucks big time.

Eventually I would like to extend my beams by about 2". I have a spare set and plan, eventually, to do my own extended C&T beams, however, no telling when I will get to that.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Baxter

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah originally I was going to do JBG ultra deluxe kit but found the info on cut and turned set ups and decided that's the way I want to go, eventually... However after driving Bronco around for the last week, it needs a complete front end rebuild. Since the ball joints and tie rods, etc can be used with the cut/turned set up, I figured put my current budget towards getting her front end solid and do a complete tune up/service. I'll put the leveling kit and shocks on it (shocks are original and shot!) drive it and have fun while gathering the parts and most importantly the $$ for the good suspension set up later. I'll sell the leveling springs and maybe the shocks (depending on how old they are) down the road when I tear into it for the suspension upgrade. I just don't want to invest in suspension now then have some other mechanical issue where I'm short on $$ to fix it, I have bad luck like that. I'm also pretty OCD so having a well prep'd rig that I can trust is priority #1

·
Registered
35 Posts
You'll be happy with the Solo beams. I started out with a Pro Comp Stage II lift. I ended up transitioning to C&T beams over time. I wish I had done more research before I bought the Pro Comp lift.

I am using the Pro Comp extended radius arms and 4" coils which are quality pieces and work well with the Solo beams. Originally I used add-a-leafs to raise the rear. That sucks. I picked up a pair of Deaver J40s from JBG which is the best deal on those Deavers anywhere. They are great. I have now added a pair of Camburg extended shackles and lowered the rear hangers a few inches to compensate for the extended shackles. I had already replaced the rear hangers due to rust, so I did not need to remove the rivets (again). However, I agree that removing the rivets sucks big time.

Eventually I would like to extend my beams by about 2". I have a spare set and plan, eventually, to do my own extended C&T beams, however, no telling when I will get to that.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Baxter
I currently have a procomp stage 2 lift also, and now want to switch to cut turned from solo.. you said your radius arms worked? What all did you need to replace? I would need to replace the stock pivot brackets, guy from Solo said getting from junkyard is a pain, and buying his are another $400 bucks. I had a fabricator tell me that there should be no reason I cant use all parts from procomp lift, and just need the arms.. What all did you need?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Re Solo

The Solo kit works great , Talk with Bobby and Paul about what your going to do with your rig

Take the time and do it right , You will be very happy , Buy good shocks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad I found this, I've been looking into using cut and turned beams on my truck. Figure do it right the first time and not have to worry about it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts