Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So once again i was finishing yet another project on the bronco to repair something that took a dump after fixing something else.. This time it turned out to be the transmission. I am buttoning up the e4od to c6 swap. Tonights project just involved me filling the c6 with ATF. I poured a few quarts in and then turned the bronco on so that i could get the fluid moving and allow me to fill the cooler, filter and torque converter. I turned the engine on and a rythmic knock started coming from the ****ing engine.. i turned the engine off and checked the fluid. the fluid was fine so i turned it on again and check each spark plug wire to make sure one wasnt loose. They were not loose and the knocking continued.. i revved it up a bit and the knock sped up with the engine. i almost lost it.. well i think i might have because i took a swing at the bronco. its such an endless cycle for me it seems. if there was a cliff around i probably would have pushed it off and just walked away. I dont know a damn thing about engines and engine noises as ive never had to deal with that before. Dont know what to do. This just makes me wonder why i even bother dumping more money into it. Im not looking for any sympathy. Thats not the intention of this post. I just need to vent and this seems like my best outlet. I just want the ****ing thing to work right. i hate taking it to shops because they look at it and just raise their ****ing prices. they should be giving me discounts since they can get to everything easier than if it was stock. i think i broke a finger.. :whiteflag

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
yea was going to say if it didn't do it before it might be related to the tranny. something hitting like convertor cover or loose bolt somewhere.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
it is weird that it would show up just after you swap ths trans. it sounds like it is something to do with the trans, flywheel maybe, also heard of torque convertors making noises like this.
take a stethiscope (sp) or a piece of dowel rod and hold it to different parts of the motor and bell housing then put ur ear to the other end and see if you can narrow down the noise location.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,700 Posts
shit man.....

q...
have/could/would you pin point the origin of the knocking? if you dont have a stethescope, in a pinch you can use a length of pipe (say 1/2" PVC or similar).
q2...you are sure its the engine?
q3...what time do you usually get home? I need to swap an axleshaft first, but maybe I can come help ya diagnose? or Tell me NO and I will let it rest.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Before you get too stressed, check the torque converter, and also check the flex plate. Betcha it's there....don't give up! Use a vaccum hose to as a stethescope and really dial in where the knock is coming from. make sure all of the TC bolts are tight, and that the flex plate is true. If you watch it turn with the inspection cover off, you should be able to see it right off.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
drain the oil and put the accelerator on the floor until the knock goes away :goodfinge

yeah double check your work first before you burn it

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Good luck man, keep at it. All else fails, time for a 460 swap. :)

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
I bet its flexplate t/c related, very very high chance of it being a loose bolt or something you just overlooked.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i hope so. i let my dad tighten that up while i did something else.. i think thats one of the reasons i tend to do most of the work on the truck myself and i rarely let my friends help out.. if something goes wrong i want to be the one to mess it up. id hate to have something get screwed up by a friend.. i

·
Try it now!!
9,120 Posts
The C6 I got from Phoenix Hard Parts had a torque converter with studs that were too long and hit that thin metal cover thingie (what the hell is that thing called?). Possibly your studs are striking something as it turns? See if the ends are shiny.

-Will

1 - 20 of 38 Posts