Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still new to the tire grooving, cutting, and siping bit. I was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction who have used large hot knives or larger sized siping tools.

First, I do have 2 sets of tires, 39" Mickey Thompson Baja Belted's. Which aren't street tires, they aren't mud tires, they say they are sand tires, but they absolutely suck on and in everything. I'd venture to say as poor as thornbirds. These will still be on my truck for street duty (which I'd be surprised if I used 5000 miles a year) so they still have to be somewhat streetable. I'm not the first person to cut ground hawgs, but a lot of people turn them into v-treads. And shitty v-treads at that.

I was just postings to get everyone's opinion, and see if someone could direct me towards a quality grooving knife, preferably one with variable blade sizes. Does anyone have an input or real life reviews on any? Any that I should try to aim for? Any I should stay away from?

Both of these tires are 40" Hawgs which is the same size I run. The tread would be similar to the edits I've done. Maybe a few more sipes, but I think you can get the point. They'd have about as much lug void area as a bogger. Maybe even a bit more...

Sorry for my "Paint" edit's, I don't have photoshop on my work computer-

And I really like this design, maybe if I can pick up 38-40" All terrains I may cut them like this:

Thoughts?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,878 Posts
you wouldnt want to drive them on the road after that much cutting thats for sure.

I would open up the sipps 1/2" on the middle tread sections. i would then make some cuts / \ on the outer tread blocks. this will give you better bitting edges but still not take away from the tire to much.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured someone was going to say that. The ground hawgs for the most part ride on the inside lugs in the center, hence why I am not cutting them at all. If you ever saw a groundhawg at 30 PSI or just take a look at how groundhawgs wear, anyone who runs them at normal pressure it rides right down the middle. The only time you get full pressure contact on all of the tire, is at too low of a PSI to drive on the highway.

My groundhawgs are pretty quiet actually now, I can't see them being too much worse cut like that.

No one has recommendations for a variable blade siping/grooving tool?

---Also, thank you for the idea in siping the lugs. I'll probably do a criss-cross in the center section and do what you said on the outside.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can't help you with the grooving tools, I can only second opening up the shoulder lugs in addition to opening the siping across the center lugs. This is a popular setup around here and doesn't really affect road manners.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't help you with the grooving tools, I can only second opening up the shoulder lugs in addition to opening the siping across the center lugs. This is a popular setup around here and doesn't really affect road manners.
Yea but it isn't enough to make a difference in NJ clay mud. This nasty chit will slick boggers up if you aren't running a high horsepower application or you aren't running overly-low gearing. I do appreciate the input though.

I thought they quit making ground hawgs where can I buy them
Not sure, that's what everyone has been talking about. Interco Tire (the same company that makes TSL/Boggers/Iroks) are the ones making them now. If you check out the "Blemish" section of the site (where the tires that are messed up) you can see that they are selling the messed up ones directly. You can see that they are definitely making them, they are rolling off the assembly line, but no one knows where they are going.

I bought mine used for $400 with 80% tread. If you buy them new you are looking at $400/piece.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have a set of cut boggers and ill agree that the design u posted looks to have the spacing as my boggers. should do good i dont have any complaints

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both of those aren't bad, but I just can't see them cleaning that much better than what I'm working with now. Of course it is better, but I'd rather go extreme. I think I may end up buying another set of G-Hawgs in 40" and just cut away. I got the 39" baja belteds still, so I may just cut the chit out of them and roll on the 39's for awhile. I'll definitely keep you guys updated when I cut them.

And thank you for taking the time out to post those up. I do appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts