Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the cutting torch from harbor freight any good. And also do you guys use the part that keeps the flame from going back into the bottle? I have the bottles and new hoses but am having trouble with the torch

·
Registered
160 Posts
Idk about the hf torch, but, having seen ruptured hoses spewing fire, i'd say the backflame preventer is prob worth the price of admission.
Once something like that starts, it's hard to undo.

·
Registered
1993 F150 XLT 302 MAF A/T 4x4 2.5" Lift
247 Posts
I second the use of the backflame preventer. This is mandatory on the job sites I work on and for good reason. I have them on mine at my house.

If you're in a pinch then get the h/f, other then that nope. Did you clean the tip of the torch? Is the tip damaged? How are the gauges? Tanks full? Try other torch tips? You just might need a new tip.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tanks are full new hoses gauges are good. It goes out everytime I start to cut I have cleaned the torch very good but still pops and goes out. I also have my setting correct

·
Registered
160 Posts
Evety time you start to cut?
Are you getting the torch tip too close? If so, that will put it out like that. Try backing off just a little.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,126 Posts
Victor is the brand of Torch you want...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Tanks are full new hoses gauges are good. It goes out everytime I start to cut I have cleaned the torch very good but still pops and goes out. I also have my setting correct
Try holding further away until your work warms up then move the torch closer... it sounds like you are rushing it.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,221 Posts
How are you setting your torch up? And what are your pressures coming out of your regulator?
When you are setting your flame, I set mine at “full throttle” using the two knobs at the base of the torch, then fine tune the base or “idle” of the torch with the lever not pressed using the other knob up the torch. If you are trying to set the flame from “idle” you will chase it all day and snuff it out with too much oxygen when you hit the lever.
I’m sure there are proper terms for all that, and maybe a better way to do it they teach you in school, but that is just how I came to do it by messing around with it myself

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been to school on using a cutting torch and have tried everything on the settings and it will not work, something is worn out or wrong with the torch.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have been to school on using a cutting torch and have tried everything on the settings and it will not work, something is worn out or wrong with the torch.
what are the symptoms? Like what happens before it goes out? Is it doing it out of the blue? Randomly? Is there a pattern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I get the torch set up to cut then as soon as I start the cut it pops and goes out. I have my oxygen pressure set at 25 psi

·
Registered
160 Posts
Once you start the cut, meaning when you hit the oxygen trigger?

Not enough gas?

·
Registered
1993 F150 XLT 302 MAF A/T 4x4 2.5" Lift
247 Posts
I'd try and get a new tip first. You might even try and take the troch apart and clean it thoroughly, though I only seen one torch that bad in my years of using a torch.

·
Registered
1978 Ford Bronco Custom, 400M, C6, lots of rust
44 Posts
Mine does that when I have my oxygen flowing too high at the tip. Neutral flame is the trick. Could very well be the Harbor Freight torch though. I bought a Victor and have no issues I didn’t cause myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
Victor was recently bought by ESAB, who is currently doing a trade-in deal with licensed resellers. You can go to any Victor/Esab dealer with ANY torch and get over half off the price of a new Victor oxy-acetylene torch. You can also trade in any set of regulators for a large discount on a good Victor set. I had some sticky old Union Carbide ones that had remained screwd-in too long and I traded them in for a new set, and it cost me less than the rebuild kit for the old regs.

Always use flashback arrestors both at your torch, and at the bottles, as well as a check valve at the torch. Most flashback arrestors are also check valves. The flashback arrestors will keep you from blowing up if you get a flashback, and the check valves help if you run one tank too low compared to the pressure of the other one and get too great a pressure difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the cutting torch from harbor freight any good. And also do you guys use the part that keeps the flame from going back into the bottle? I have the bottles and new hoses but am having trouble with the torch
I had a set, they don't last very long maybe a year. Even with light use the torch started leaking and the hoses cracked. Spewing fire everywhere. Save your money and by a nice set.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts